Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 103 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movies you watched recently
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:42 pm 

Also recently viewed this week off from work:
Let the Fire Burn
Reservior Dogs
Jackie Brown
Bettie Page Reveals All
Who is Harry Neilsson?
Machete Maidens Unleashed
Beware of Mr. Baker
Blue is the Warmest Colour
Particle Fever
Ray Harryhausen Special Effects Titan

I've watched more TV this week than in the past 6 years. Back to the M-F grind today.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:00 am 

Dirty Harry-decent I guess.
Bullitt= boring as hell besides the car chase of course, which is the only reason I wanted to see it.
I keep accidentally finding movies based in SF.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:31 am 

Out of the Furnace
Blue Ruin
Cold in July
Joe
The Rover

Liked em all

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:53 pm 

Bullit is boring????

WTF. Yeah sure it runs on themes that have since been appropriated by almost every single cop movie in the last 40+ years, but its a wonderfully crafted film with tension that pervades throughout its course. The scenes with Robert Vaughn and Steve McQueen are fucking ace. Its like you sit there waiting for one of those guys to throw a punch at any second. The curt delivery in every scene of that film is like movie dialogue written by Hemmingway in that its so minimalist.

I love that film. The finale isn't the mob guy getting chased and shot in the airport - its when Bullit tells Chalmers :
"Bullshit. Now get the hell out of here".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:12 pm 

Vanishing Point > Bullitt, but both are great.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:06 am 

Gone Girl
'71
The Judge
Fury
Nightcrawler
The Babadook

Enjoyed em all apart from The Babadook which was utter shit.

Up next...

Interstellar
The Drop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:08 am 

Mitt - A really cool fly on the wall documentary following Mitt Romney during his 2006 and 2012 presidential campaigns. Ala "The War Room," the access the film makers got on the trail was pretty unprecedented. Not nearly as dramatic as other documentaries of its' ilk, but a pretty neat look into how Mitt Romney ran his campaign. It's not a very long documentary, and pretty enjoyable even fro the political semi lay man.

Lost for Life - A beautiful but sloppy documentary about teenagers serving life sentences w/o parole. The content is pretty chilling and the visuals are stunning, but it's a structural mess.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Awesome. Wasn't trying to be anything more than it was trying to be, which was a breath of fresh air.

Iron Man 3 - I get what it was trying to do, and I didn't hate it as much as other people did, but where Winter Soldier succeeded, Iron Man 3 failed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:27 pm 

Last movie I saw was...

Robotech:The Movie (1986)

Can't believe I sat through the whole thing lol. It was fun watching while stoned though.

Trying to get through Star Trek The Motion Picture(1979) now,but it keeps making me fall asleep at the scene with the bald lady.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:28 pm 

Gone Girl-the chick has no charm so that kind of ruins it. the sister would've been so much better choice.
Watership Down-I wish I had seen this as a kid. even now it was powerful shit.
The Hitcher-so bad. Did not like the superman's ability of the Hitcher guy.
Gremlins 2-I had heard this one was batshit crazy and it is. so different than any kids movie I've seen.
In A World... Good quirky comedy thing.
Top of the Lake-glad it wasn't any longer because it was a waste of time.
Killer Bait-decent noir.
Non-stop-type of silly thriller thing that hollywood can actually still competently make that is decent if you know what you are in for.
Westworld-never saw this before. the whole first hour is so pointless because they telegraph what is going to happen in the first 5 minutes. the last half hour is basically the last half hour of the Terminator. that "they have figured out how to make hands" makes no difference in the movie(and no sense, they could make woman parts apparently...)so that was fun.
Tron-never saw it and couldn't make it more than 20 minutes.
The Warriors and Conan 1-still great.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:16 pm 

vol.4 wrote:
Top of the Lake-glad it wasn't any longer because it was a waste of time.

So true.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:11 pm 

Thirded. Had heard it was really good, but I was pretty bored by it. Liked the last 10 minutes or so though. The Fall was much, much better. Really looking forward to season 2.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:15 pm 

I watched Clint Eastwood's "The Gauntlet" for the first time recently. You really can't find a movie much worse than this. I question whether or not this even had a script or if they just improvised dialog as they went along shooting endless amounts of ammo at cars and buildings.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:10 pm 

Interstellar. Best sci-fi since 2001: A Space Odyssey. An intense, moving and immense experience. A masterpiece.

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:19 pm 

Sin City : a dame to kill for. blergh, aside from much Eva Green nudity. Five years ago, I probably woulda cared.

Robot & Frank - more enjoyable than i wouldve expected

The Raid 2 - Holy shit. Amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:54 pm 

Robot & Frank was pretty good.

Street Kings-wasn't expecting much but fairly decent. From Training Day guy and story by James Ellory and it's just like it sounds so no surprises at all but I like this guy's movies. Keanu is actually decent in this one. He excels at stone faced slightly slow characters.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:45 pm 

Godzilla (2014). I don't understand how giant monsters destroying entire cities and terrifying everyone on the planet can be boring, but it was really boring.

The Equalizer. Denzel Washington does the reluctant warrior thing again and goes on a personal mission to free sex slaves from the Russian mob. Totally predictable and Denzel seems to be phoning it in a little, but I didn't hate it.

The Raid 2. Great fight scenes, which is all that matters. I should check out the first one.

The Maltese Falcon. I've seen this before at least once and I recently re-watched it. I like Humphrey Bogart -- Casablanca is one of my favorite movies of all time, largely because of him. I like classic film noir. The Maltese Falcon is considered one of the greatest examples of film noir, but for the life of me, I can't follow the story and that ruins it for me. I have it on DVR and I'm sure I'll try again.

Intersellar. I should see it again to see if I feel differently, but I can say I enjoyed it while still being let down. It is not the 2001: A Space Odyssey of today. Not even close. What it is is a high budget sci-fi movie with big name actors, cool FX and a story line with enough human drama and real science to be fairly interesting. People will not be puzzling over the meaning of Interstellar for generations, and FX crews won't spend over 50 years trying to surpass the visuals and vision of the future that Kubrick laid down then and is still the standard to this day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:24 am 

boyhood-count me in the they went too far in making it feel real, so much that it's really boring camp. The attempts at drama were worse than anything they were trying to avoid, some pathetic Lifetime-movie quality drama with the drunk step-dad.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:44 pm 

The Skeleton Twins Really solid small-feeling drama. Bill Hader is great in this. Should be nominated somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:59 pm 

Bullio wrote:
Thirded. Had heard it was really good, but I was pretty bored by it. Liked the last 10 minutes or so though. The Fall was much, much better. Really looking forward to season 2.

You get a chance to catch S2? Really good stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:15 pm 

Birdman
Foxcatcher
Wild
Ex Machina
A Most Violent Year
American Sniper

Hated Wild, it was like an inferior version of Into The Wild. Talk about plagiarism. Found A Most Violent Year disappointing, was waiting for something to happen but it never really did. Enjoyed the rest and especially Ex Machina which is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:10 pm 

Crutch wrote:
Bullio wrote:

You get a chance to catch S2? Really good stuff.

I did! They really dove into Spector's ugliness and depravity this season. That one interview scene towards the end of the season with Stella was unnerving and really uncomfortable and fantastically fascinating.

Saw Birdman and Into the Woods last week. Birdman was pretty fantastic. I don't think that movie would have worked nearly as well as it did without Keaton in the lead because of his history as Batman. That connection alone brought so much to that movie. I took a friend who was dying to see it to see Into the Woods. I liked it more than I thought I would. It wasn't anything I would have seen on my own, but I didn't regret the money spent for the ticket or the outing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:33 pm 

the descent 1 & 2. fuck yeah, really enjoyed these.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:20 pm 

Birdman blew me away on first viewing, but on the second viewing, I realized it's more of an amazing gag with a so-so story. Still cool, but not the kind of movie people like me will want to watch over and over. I'm sure it's a different deal for film students/buffs who are still trying to figure out how they pulled it off.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:57 pm 

Inherent Vice. The story is kind of muddled and almost pointless, but I fully recommend viewing it to see Katherine Waterston (Shasta). Whoa!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:44 pm 

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory(1971). Love that and still fun to watch while high.

Watched half of Boogie Nights(1997) and Tron(1982)also recently. Both have fun scenes,but other scenes bore the hell out of me so I just end up falling asleep,especially Tron . Tron is so laughably dated in computer terms, I just couldn't find it believable in today's context.

First half of Boogie Nights is pure awesomeness ,but towards the end after the scene in the music studio it gets really boring. They shoulda kept it more a comedy and left the deleted coke scene in...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 103 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next