Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Guardians of the Galaxy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:53 pm 

It was either stay off the internet for a couple weeks and wait for the crowds to die down, or go see this in a packed theater.

I've been eagerly awaiting this movie's release since it was first announced. I'm still in a bit of a state of shock that it even exists, let alone that it was as good as it was. And it was good. It was one of the most genuinely funny movies I've seen in awhile. The group dynamic is the focus here, and thankfully the cast lived up to expectations (and even exceeded them in the case of Cooper and Bautista). Only one part of it was kind of disappointing, but that's as a reader of the comics. I doubt anyone else would care, and it didn't get in the way of my thoroughly enjoying the movie anyway.

It's also entirely self-contained from everything else Marvel has done with the MCU. There are things that will show up that will definitely be recognizable to anyone that's been keeping up with the movies, but you don't have to know a damned thing about any of the other movies or the comics to watch and enjoy this. I actually think coming in ignorant of the comics works in this movie's favor. The Guardians themselves have undergone some changes, almost all of which I'd say are for the better.

So if you want to see a fun and funny flick about some outlaw misfits in space, and potentially get choked up over a movie starring a talking raccoon and tree, go see this. If you've got some impressionable young people you can take with you, take them too. This is probably going to be this generation's Star Wars or Firefly or whatever, so be the one to have introduced them to it.

Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:28 am 

Pretty much fantastic start to finish. Hard to believe when I first heard about the movie, my initial reaction was, "A talking tree and a talking raccoon? That's fucking retarded."

Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:51 pm 

Yeah. That was fucking well done.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]