Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: The Humanoids,Arctic Horror,more - 9/6/14 @ the Midway
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:26 pm 

I decided to attend a rare (for me) afternoon show at the Midway in Jamaica Plain today. Here's what transpired...

Larry Lifeless of Kilslug and Upsidedown Cross fame (or infamy, however you look at it) was on first. If you're familiar with his past work then you know what to expect. A decent rhythm section held the songs together while Mr. Lifeless strummed a completely untuned and distorted guitar. It sounded ill. It sounded like the amp was broken. It was some of the worst guitar playing I have ever seen or heard, and I loved it. At one point he sang "the wheels of the bus go round and round" but those are really the only lyrics I could make out. Words and notes mean nothing in the world of Larry Lifeless. He has basically invented a whole new thing: Avant-Garbage. And I mean that in a positive way. Total anti-music.

In the Shit were next. They dealt out a set of unrelenting grind in the style of Cripple Bastards, just mash-the-pedal-and-go. Short songs, a singer yelling at you and feedback between songs sums it all up. Not much more else to say. I dug it. I also enjoy smashing myself in the face with a brick every now and then, so keep that in mind.

Unrelated note: Shouldn't unisex bathrooms be called "omnisex", seeing as how more than one sex is using them? I think so. Someone fucked up along the line.

Arctic Horror were third. They have a new CD out called "Blackened Corpses Sickened Minds", so that should tip you off as to what they sound like. Mix some thrash, some grind, a little hardcore, and you have Arctic Horror. Vocals were pissed off and every song pretty much pummeled the audience. If you like your metal angry and to the point, check these guys out.

Fresh off of opening for the Dictators last night, the Humanoids closed out the show in their usual go-for-broke fashion. Not many bands can pull off covering both Fear and Manowar but the Humanoids own that shit. As a matter of fact that's kind of a great description of their sound right there. "Black Wind, Fire and Steel" kills me every time they play it because it's epic every time. Great set and an excellent show all around. And once it was all done I could turn my attention to the television show about puppies running around and being cute. As much as I love metal and songs about death and utter destruction, puppies are petty damn awesome too.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]