Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Mad Men
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:28 am 

In case anyone is still watching...

Season 7A was mostly really good after a disappointing Season 6. The end was largely a reprise of the end of Season 3, but it'll be interesting to see how Don reacts/manipulates things to landing inside of a larger hamster-wheel.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:27 pm 

Mr Red wrote:
In case anyone is still watching...

Season 7A was mostly really good after a disappointing Season 6. The end was largely a reprise of the end of Season 3, but it'll be interesting to see how Don reacts/manipulates things to landing inside of a larger hamster-wheel.

Thanks for the nudge. It's been collecting on my DVR, for some reason I just haven't been up to closing this show out. But it's a show I know can be really worth while so I'll have to tackle it sooner than later.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:21 am 

It's worthwhile. There actually some moments that are fucking funny as hell. It'll be interesting to see how they end it. The arc of Don's character is all over the map. I guess you could essentially define him as someone who gets his "thrill" in life out of being able to rebound out of all of the self-destructive situations he manages to get himself into. I guess that is the arc(?).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:14 pm 

I was ready to dismiss all of these recent episodes as subpar, but damn... words cannot describe how funny Don Draper's face was when he was sitting on the couch and Peggy explained that he was going to be writing copy for her. Jon Hamm deserves an Emmy just for that scene.

The "nipple event" also had me sitting up from the couch when it happened.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:10 pm 

The little lady and I gorged on the whole season this weekend. Good stuff indeed. I'm not sure what to make about that musical number at the end but it was a nice send off for Cooper.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:13 am 

As soon as I saw they opened that episode with Burt watching the moon coverage on TV, I knew it was curtains for him. Also, RIP (at least in the show) for Ginsberg.

Sterling pretty much owned every situation/obstacle presented in front of him this season. I saw some chatter about having a "Mad Men" spin-off series happening, which Matthew Weiner shot down, but how hard would a Roger Sterling spin-off in the 1970's rule?

I'm hoping we get a reprise of Salvatore at some point in 7B. His plot was one of the best things happening in the early seasons.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:14 pm 

Its a fucking drag that we aren't going to see new episodes until 2015. Cable just makes up their own rules on seasons I guess....

But we have a lot to look forward to. John Slattery has recently been spotted sporting huge bushy sideburns as they are currently filming those final episodes and they take place in the wild seventies!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:00 am 

As predicted, Sterling = owning it. Everything else though? Meh.

I think they could have tightened the last couple seasons up considerably and believe most of the people still watching have perception the show jumped the shark at some point. At least they're closing the book on several of the characters as they draw to the close. Cooper, Cosgrove, Megan, etc...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:31 pm 

Anyone else find it funny that Betty is looking to get a masters in psychology?

Sad to see this show go. Well, maybe not the show itself, but the characters that inhabit the show I will miss for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:35 pm 

These first two episodes (of the last five episodes) have been severely lacking in the luster department.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:59 pm 

Hearing 2nd hand that Sterling said Don about just being in the Lucky strike tobacco meetings because Jr. wanted him there was cruel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:15 pm 

vol.4 wrote:
Hearing 2nd hand that Sterling said Don about just being in the Lucky strike tobacco meetings because Jr. wanted him there was cruel.

That was actually pretty awesome for the schlubby guy that was getting fired. You have to root for the little guys in those situations, even if it is getting one last dig in.

I like the way this is headed with the dissolution of SCP. Don is not capable of working for "The Man". He's filthy rich now, so what does he do? Buying a farm out in the country would be cheesy as all get-out, but kind of a full-circle kind of deal.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:18 am 

Mr Red wrote:
vol.4 wrote:

That was actually pretty awesome for the schlubby guy that was getting fired. You have to root for the little guys in those situations, even if it is getting one last dig in.

I saw it as that guy was terrible at the job and as a person. He didn't earn his anger at all. I was crying for Don's hurt feelings for some reason.

Lost Horizon ep was pretty great. Mcann office really reminded me of the Sterling Cooper office dynamics from the early seasons. Ted is so happy to be there, he was better as a dick.
I will be surprised if there isn't more Jesus stuff in the Don storyline. Seems like they are building to something with that.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:35 am 

vol.4 wrote:
I saw it as that guy was terrible at the job and as a person. He didn't earn his anger at all. I was crying for Don's hurt feelings for some reason.

Nope. We've been exposed for seven seasons to Don's self-centeredness toward co-workers, lovers and family and his predisposition to fuck anyone in his wake to save his own ass, so it was a great victory to see someone poke a hole in his ego, even if the guy is a complete dolt/troll.

The whole ordeal with McCann that is happening now is because Don maneuvered the deal to sell the company to McCann to save his ass from Cutler firing him for breach of contract after Cooper's death. Joan voted to fire Don then and she predictably got fucked over on the SPC sale.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:46 am 

Well, the whole thing is over, and at least as far as Don goes, it feels like dead horse continued getting beaten. I guess there were very little other really credible alternatives for it to end though. The guy just continues surviving being the shuckster he's always been. And he'll continue being the impulsive shithead he's been always been and will continue going through bouts of guilt and boredom when life starts to become too routine.

It seems like everyone else in this episode outside of Betty and Sally got a happy ending; Peggy and Stan, Joan, Pete and even Roger, although it seems he has met his match in Megan's mother-in-law.

Happy for Joan and Peggy. It would have been easy to sentence Pete to some terrible fate, but it seems like Matthew Weiner has a kind/forgiving heart for his creations (outside of Don of course).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:33 am 

i want to see mad man

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3