Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 83 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Hannibal
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:17 pm 

The whole "raze the earth" feel of the finale was fantastic. No one really knew if the show was going to be renewed when they made it, so they had to leave it a little bit ambiguous. Ending the season that way took some big freaking balls, but imagine if that were the series finale? Some twisted part of me almost wishes the show wasn't renewed so that it could have gone out with the best series finale of all time. Sure, people would probably be pissed at first, but it would have been such an amazing inverted take on the usual. The villain kills the good guys and the one's "adoptive daughter", walks out into the night's rain cleansed of the consequences of everything he's just done, and gets the girl.

I'm guessing Alana doesn't make it because she was the only one that wasn't taken down by Hannibal personally. Hell, it's as good of a working fan theory as any other I've seen (I really have no idea who's going to make it). I have mixed feelings on the idea of her not making it though. She hasn't really been a well-utilized character and killing her off after this season isn't far from a "women in fridges" scenario, but I would almost rather see her go than be poorly handled for yet another season.

Will and Abigail together could be very, very interesting. They've suffered the most from Hannibal's toying, and seeing them try to recover while looking for Hannibal could make for one of the more intriguing character relationships in quite awhile. But, out of all of them I honestly think Abigail is the least likely to survive. Her sudden resurrection and immediate subsequent death was like a bold exclamation point in the show's plot, but especially to Will. To have her walk back into his life only to immediately lose her again was the cruelest part of the finale for me, and was made even worse when you take into consideration how Will lost his future child with Margot due to Hannibal's orchestrations.

Fuller's said he wanted Bowie to play Hannibal's uncle, and that he wanted to do it this past season but couldn't work it out with Bowie's schedule. I don't think they'd get a more perfect opportunity story wise to have him than this season, even if it is only for an episode or two. Here's hoping that works out this year.
Adam wrote:
So Will survives?

I haven't read the books so I don't know the storyline that they have to follow, but after that finale and seeing how much blood he lost, learning that he survives seems like a cop out on the show's part. He's a great character and probably irreplaceable, thinking he was killed off I was wrapping my head wondering who could replace Will, who has such a unique persona and played Hannibal's counter so well. Still, him surviving almost feels, to me at least, the show wanting to send the finale off in huge fireworks but then not having the balls to follow through with what they did out of fear that any replacement for Will would hurt the show. I can see how they simply used the blood for aesthetic purposes, but watching that scene and seeing just how much blood was on the floor I assumed he couldn't have survived that.

That said, I can see how Hannibal could leave Will alive. Not so much for the others. At least with Will, I think Hannibal respects him and enjoys the power play between the two. I could see him choosing to keep that game going, and leaving him alive, injured, and forced to witness the deaths of those close to him seems like another move in Hannibal's playbook. As for Jack and the doctor, not sure why Hannibal would allow them to remain alive. They always felt like mere pawns to Hannibal and i don't see how Hannibal would find them worth keeping around.

My knee jerk reaction was similar, but early the next day I started thinking about other instances of characters surviving in stories and how it didn't always cheapen the plot. And then I came across this article and was talked down off the ledge. Highly recommend giving it a read as it makes a good case for the "there are worse things than death" outcome that Will and some of his cohorts will be working through in season 3.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:25 pm 

Interesting article.

Understanding that Jack and Will play roles in Red Dragon does play with my expectations some. And I get the author's point about how keeping the characters could add to the power of the story. But....

To me, this show has been about Hannibal's prowess. Like I mentioned, I can understand keeping Will alive because I feel like this is all a game for Hannibal and he views Will is his opponent. Jack, Alana, and Abigail seemed to be just pawns in the game. Hannibal is smart and about self-preservation, keeping Jack and company around seem like a sign of weakness on Hannibal's part. Keeping Will around already is enough of a Game of Chance, I would think the playbook would tell Hannibal that losing the other players would be his best play. Minimize his risk factors. And what Hannibal wants, Hannibal has been able to get.

Still, while Will's survival jives from a storyline perspective, IMO, it doesn't with with what I viewed in that finale. Beside the obscene amount of blood that filled the room, we viewed the elk stop breathing. To allow him to survive seems like a cheap tease on that show, something I feel this show has been above. Past misdirections (like where the show allowed us to think Jack's past "partner" was killed, only for us to discover her alive but missing a limb) were done cleverly. The audience made assumptions that made sense but it was still on inconclusive observations. Will's scene came on much more heavy handed.

That said, I finished the finale thinking if anyone were to survive, it would be Jack. Just because having him locked in the pantry might have made ensuring Jack's demise impractical for Hannibal, as he ran out of time and had to leave when he did if he wanted to avoid getting caught. Plus,is it possible to get shanked in the brain like Jack did and not suffer brain damage of some sort? I do think Jack surviving but with impairments could lead for an interesting twist and could fit with what the finale offered without me viewing it as a cop out. I think the show could sell me on that being a fate worse than death, and one that Hannibal allowed/chose for Jack.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:54 pm 

It wasn't completely clear to me that the elk was dead, but it was definitely a breath or three away. Regardless, the elk resembled Will's transformation from a man into a killer, someone conflicted about who they truly are with the potential to turn into something even worse if given enough time (Will's totem's last stage was a pure animal, whereas Hannibal's wendigo was far more twisted and demonic). Will lying on the floor bleeding out with Abigail was a moment of clarity. He's watching the elk die, not himself. The conflict of identity is resolving, that part of him dying.

I definitely agree that the show is about Hannibal's powers over everything and everyone, but it's also been about the relationships of men. Never has this been more clear to me than it was during the finale, and to some degree it helps to somewhat explain the vestigial nature of the female characters in the show. On some level, I believe Hannibal did feel genuinely betrayed. He found Will out when he smelled Freddie on him, but he gave Will one last chance to come clean during their last dinner scene. Hannibal put a lot of time and effort into Will, let Will "see him", and on some fucked up level did genuinely think of him as a friend (and saw the potential for something deeper if Will completed his transformation the way Hannibal wanted him to). What he did to Will during the last 20 minutes was basically Hannibal's way of saying "you hurt and betrayed me, and I'm breaking up with you."

The glass went into the rear right side of Jack's neck. Hannibal's such a pro that I'd be willing to bet he stuck him shallow enough and in a spot that would bleed a lot and kill him if not treated, but otherwise wouldn't do a whole lot of lasting damage. I wouldn't count on more than some lost feeling in a limb or something, and just chalk it up to "because TV." This show has played fast and loose with realistic logic since the pilot, but has heavily dealt in dream logic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:38 pm 

So....they all survived.

And NBC announcing this will be the final season of the show. Which just flat out sucks. Time for Netflix, or Hulu, or Amazon to jump in and keeping it going for a couple more seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:07 am 

The finale was amazing. Im sad that such a great show is over.
I'm going to be seriously disappointed if there isn't a mini series down the road that tackles "silence"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:13 am 

Ditto that.

Netflix needs to step in and do something here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:44 pm 

I think Fuller is committed to American Gods ( now with David Slade attached as well), and Mikkelsen has a Star Wars project, and possibly Dr Strange upcoming. So while they could do it, I think it would be down the road a bit.

Funny thing is, looking back through this thread I previously thought a Silence arc would be a bad idea. After three great seasons, I realize what an idiotic opinion that was. BRING ME MORE HANNIBAL!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:52 pm 

Fuller bringing Slade in for American Gods is great news. I might have to pony up for that Starz subscription if only to check out that Ash vs Evil Dead show.

I guess Hannibal will just have to be one of those shows......

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 83 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4