Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 5   [ 103 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movies you watched recently
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:49 pm 

Knights of Badassdom.
The long delayed LARP movie with Steve Zahn, Peter Dinklage & Summer Glau.
Fun movie, some amusing gore and a few nifty music jokes. Using "doom" music as a plot point was kinda of neat, only to have them completely not use anything close to doom as the music.
Regardless, it was enjoyable.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:17 am 

The Act of Killing. Documentary, nominated for an oscar. Demented flick.

Imagine: You're the leader of an Indonesian death squad from the 1960's and you're in the sunset years of your life. Even though your side won, you still feel history is washing over your accomplishments. So what do you do? You make a movie! Starring you and all of your fellow fascist thugs re-enacting all the terrible things that you did. And the good news is, you'll get to have real terrified peasants to "pretend" to torture and state sponsored funding (through graft and theft).

Watching the man go through this and reach his catharsis makes the film really riveting. Recommended.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:13 am 
Site Admin

Saw American Hustle earlier in the week. Good story, but more style than substance, I felt. Had the feel of early Scorsese (or maybe that was just getting the period right), and pretty much every angle on Amy Adams' boobs you could think of.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:04 pm 

^^ Speaking of Oscar movies, we went to see 'Her' last weekend after many people had recommended it to me. Maybe it's just me, but I only 'liked' it, but far from 'loved' it. I'm not sure if the film deserves the accolades it's getting. The performances are good, but it's a lot of Phoenix's face listening to a disembodied voice. Not very interesting to watch, but a good idea that may have been more suited to prose or the theater.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:36 pm 

Crutch wrote:
The Act of Killing. Documentary, nominated for an oscar. Demented flick.

Imagine: You're the leader of an Indonesian death squad from the 1960's and you're in the sunset years of your life. Even though your side won, you still feel history is washing over your accomplishments. So what do you do? You make a movie! Starring you and all of your fellow fascist thugs re-enacting all the terrible things that you did. And the good news is, you'll get to have real terrified peasants to "pretend" to torture and state sponsored funding (through graft and theft).

Watching the man go through this and reach his catharsis makes the film really riveting. Recommended.

This sounds so surreal.

I saw Blackfish. devastating.

Really want to see The Hunt next.

American Hustle was ok. I think it lost steam in the middle then I didn't really care. Bale is great of course but not really worth it. Watch it for the acting?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Crutch wrote:
^^ Speaking of Oscar movies, we went to see 'Her' last weekend after many people had recommended it to me. Maybe it's just me, but I only 'liked' it, but far from 'loved' it. I'm not sure if the film deserves the accolades it's getting. The performances are good, but it's a lot of Phoenix's face listening to a disembodied voice. Not very interesting to watch, but a good idea that may have been more suited to prose or the theater.

I think Spike Jonze should have stuck to music videos. I found Being John Malkovich to be just hideously bad; a position I seem to be in the minority on. No interest in seeing his interpretation of Where The Wild Things Are either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:31 pm 

Byzantium - Neil Jordan's love story wrapped in the guise of a Vampire movie. Puts vamps back on the "monster" side of the spectrum, even without much action. Gemma Arterton is hot. Saoirse Ronan is very good at staring.

Elysium - Jodie Foster is very stern. Things explode, guns get fired. Spaceships. Damon-bot. Themes of racism.
Not nearly as good as District 9.

Looper - Joseph Gordon Levitt does Bruce Willis impressions in a sloppy time travel action thing.
Supernatural children should be left to M Night Shamalamadingdong movies. There was potential, but hollywood loves dumb movies.

I think tonight will be stupid movie night, seems that's all that Netflix offers.
Maybe I'll do an Archer marathon....sploosh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:04 am 

Mud-Good description I read. A grown Tom Sawyer whose life has gone horribly wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:31 pm 

American Hustle. Totally boggled that this got nominated for anything. An incoherent, overacted mess. More thought went into wardrobes than the script.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:35 pm 

Unknown Known. If you saw Fog of War, you'll want to check it out. Errol Morris never gets Rumsfeld to his "Come to Jesus" moment like he did with McNamara. He will obviously remain unrepentant until the bitter end. His ability to conjure pseudo-profound paradoxes as definitive statement is mind blowing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:57 pm 

Mud's the best thing I've seen all year. And yeah, really looking forward to the new Errol Morris.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:12 pm 

rube wrote:
American Hustle. Totally boggled that this got nominated for anything. An incoherent, overacted mess. More thought went into wardrobes than the script.

Man, I couldn't agree more. What a fucking waste of time.

Mud was really good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:21 pm 

Lifeforce - naked space vampires, and patrick stewart as a blood spigot.What else could you need? Always enjoyable.

Sightseers - a VERY darkly comedic British take on Natural Born Killers. Enjoyable, but odd. Not sure if it was the pacing, or some weird tone shifts. Some great dry dialog.

Short Term 12 - an excellent drama about a home for at risk children. Wonderful acting across the board (particularly from Brie Larson.) Emotionally intense, without getting schlocky. One of the best movies I've seen in awhile.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:16 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:
Lifeforce - naked space vampires, and patrick stewart as a blood spigot.What else could you need? Always enjoyable.

I haven't seen the film in years and years, but I recently read the book while I was in the hospital. I enjoyed it immensely. It moves.

As for films; I watched "North Dallas Forty" with Nick Nolte and found it to be a very strange film. It's based on a book that supposedly profiles a receiver for the Dallas Cowboys in the seventies. Back when they played through pain, they had less pads, they took more pills, and rode on that Texas spirit to tough it out all the way around. If that sounds gripping, the check it out(its on Netflix Instant) but it seems like there isn't much more than that to the film... or maybe there is. It like nothing else you have ever seen really. Either its poorly made or they've buried the themes really well. It doesn't have the usual story arc, and in that respect it seems like something PT Anderson would have written(but not directed). One of the writers is Nancy Dowd, who wrote "Slapshot".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:50 pm 

How about that. Never realized Lifeforce was based on a book. No Mathilda May in that book, though.

Anyway, last night I picked back up with the Marvel universe, and watched Thor & Thor: the dark world.
Really liked the first, but wasn't set on the frost giants as great baddies.
The second was ok, but loved the dark elves as baddies, perhaps due to the menace of their ships which, to be honest, were very cylon-esque.
Best thing about the series is Tom Hiddleston, hands down. Idris Elba is fantastic as well.

Not sure what tonight has in store, I might go watch some NHL playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:07 pm 

Just went ALL IN and bought a Samsung 60" Smart Plasma with all the bells and whistles. Already had the Oppo BDP-95 Blu-Ray Player i bought 3 years ago mostly for the analog audio stage. Also got a modern Marantz 50wpc 7.1 receiver (only doing 5.1), Klipsch Front and center speakers, 10" powered Sub and put 2 older Cerwin-Vega bookshelfs back into service as the rears. Got it set up and did the 5.1 speaker w/sub calibration routine. It's pretty sweet.

Watched the Blu-Ray of American Hustle hoping i'd love another 70's era crime drama, but all i got was a meh. Picture was amazing though. Big jump in quality from my older DVDs. So i'm watching movies again after not having a TV in the house for over 3 years. Esp. looking for Blu-Ray recommends now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:00 pm 

Blu-ray?
pffft. VHS is ALL ANALOG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:19 pm 

Rented English period piece Bright Star last night. Beautiful cine, but a bit too weepy even for me. Prolly throw the My Dying Bride-A Map of All our Failures making of/etc. docu bonus DVD in the box tonight. MDB are the only band still doing the weepy, romantic DOOM thing correctly now. Been playing catch up the past few months since '04. Still haven't really let the gf in on that i'm into that kinda music yet. No hurry to either. Heh.
Girls normally love costumed Elizabethan period pieces flicks though. No worries there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:51 pm 

The Usual Suspects - First time seeing it. It'd long been spoiled for me, so I didn't get the full effect. Still quite liked it though.

From Dusk til Dawn - Had never seen it all the way through before. I've always loved how completely random and seemingly out of nowhere the reveal is. The movie is moving along, being a enjoyable Tarantino-penned movie, when suddenly "oh shit, vampires! Wait, what? Vampires? The hell?"

Drug War - Asian action movie about a guy involved in a drug running syndicate that gets busted and turned against his employers. Really, really good. The ending is rather nuts.

Fargo - Had never seen it until very recently. I basically watched it as a lead in for the new miniseries on FX. It's certainly an enjoyable movie, but I fail to see what it is about it that makes people throw such insane praise on it.

Citizen Kane - Another I've been long overdue in seeing, and had long since been spoiled on. But unlike The Usual Suspects, knowing about Rosebud ahead of time didn't affect enjoyment one bit. Younger Kane might be one of my favorite characters ever. Such a cocky asshole, yet so much fun to watch.

Escape From New York - John Carpenter really was on a roll there for quite awhile. Probably my favorite of his movies that I've seen.

Dr. Strangelove - I'm pretty much beholden to Blu-ray sales and what's available on streaming services, so this was another victim of the "classic movie I've been meaning to see forever but has never been reasonably affordable or available to stream." Netflix finally added it, so I finally got to see it. Loved it, and was surprised at just how funny it was.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:01 pm 

Quote:
Escape From New York - John Carpenter really was on a roll there for quite awhile. Probably my favorite of his movies that I've seen.

Seems you have good taste. Go rent THEY LIVE! next. Awesome flick. 2nd only to The Thing remake as my fave of his.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:42 am 

I've seen it. I think the only Carpenter classics I haven't seen yet are Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness, though I have the latter in my Amazon Prime queue.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:42 pm 

Bullio wrote:
I think the only Carpenter classics I haven't seen yet are Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness

My favorite Carpenter movie.

Too bad he made Escape from LA....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:02 pm 

Crutch wrote:
Too bad he made Escape from LA....

That movie is awefulsome.

Memoirs of an Invisible Man. I still don't know why he did that movie.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:24 pm 

12 Years is good but it's missing something to make it great.

Nebraska was great. Acting, story, humor, are all tops.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:57 pm 

Blue Jasmine - Woody Allen movies never sounded appealing to me, but I gave this one a chance (mainly because it had Louis CK in it) and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Not the biggest Blanchett fan either, but she was fun in this.

Bronson - Basically an hour and a half of Tom Hardy chewing scenery, but holy crap is he entertaining. Easily my favorite performance of his I've seen. One of the funniest movies I've seen in awhile too.

Mud - Finally got around to this. Liked it a lot. More of this and the True Detective McConaughey, please. Even Reese Witherspoon was tolerable!

Fruitvale Station - Another good one, but rather short. Been a fan of Michael B. Jordan's since seeing him in The Wire. One of the better actors around, I think, and it's just a matter of time until he breaks through. Probably will with the new Fantastic Four movie.

Capote - Not my favorite Hoffman role, but he was still great.

Gravity - I saw the trailer for this when I saw Pacific Rim, I think, and was blown away. And then I saw Sandra Bullock was in it and my enthusiasm diminished, but I knew I was still going to see it eventually. I still don't think she was the best choice, but I was really pleased that she didn't get in the way of my enjoyment at all. Really, really liked this. The lack of cuts made for one hell of a tense viewing. The sound team deserves a ton of praise for their work too. I wish I could have seen this in 3D in the theater.

John Q - Had to watch this for a college class. Fucking awful movie.

Much Ado About Nothing - Whedon's version. I don't read or watch a lot of Shakespeare done in the native tongue, so I was a bit lost for the first 15 minutes or so, but once I warmed up to the language I had little trouble following along. So happy to see Fred and Wesley get their happy ending!

Nebraska - Liked it a lot. Worth it for Bruce Dern alone, but June Squibb was the real highlight of this one.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 5   [ 103 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next