Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 64 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: True Detective
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:54 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:03 pm 

Had to share this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:56 pm 

Everything that happened in ep #6 was pretty much revealed in the prior episodes, thus making it a formality, or the weakest episode so far, but next week should be sweet with Cohle walking Marty through his last ten years, which HAVE been a mystery within the tale.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:02 am 

I seriously feel bad for those who aren't watching this show.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:24 am 

Anyone else been keeping an eye on the True Detective page on Reddit? It's 95% B.S., but there have been some pics found on the Instagram accounts of crew members that aren't necessarily spoilers, but are worth checking out for those who are curious about the direction the final two episodes might go. If accurate, they're food for thought, but not really spoilers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:20 am 

Whew. Only one more episode to go, Im not sure how there going to wrap it all up. It is going to be a long 7 day wait to find out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:00 am 

Caught up with episode 7. I'm not sure I get the significance of the boat at the end, but I thought the big ass tree was quite Cthulhu-esque. Expecting them to do a literal monster type thing obviously wasn't going to happen, but there have been so many references (like when the girl in the mental hospital lost her shit remembering the guy's face) that I figured the main baddy reveal would be a figurative take. The tree seems to confirm that.

Or maybe I'm reading way too much into what was a cool looking tree.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:54 pm 

HBO Go collapsed under the pressure of everyone watching the finale. Impressive.

I quite liked the finale. I loved everything about the final confrontation, but especially watching Rust making his way into the center of Carcosa. What a nightmarish place that was. Him spacing out in the center chamber was about as great a payoff to the Lovecraftian element of the show as I could hope for. But, man, Rust going on about his daughter. That was a gut punch.

Those that have been crazy into the theorizing are going to be pretty disappointed, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:01 am 

Great finish. The humanizing of Rust while he was talking about his daughter was fantastic.

I like that so many of the questions brought up during the series remain unanswered. Making everything all neat and tied up with a pretty bow would have put a tarnish on a fantastic series.
Ill probably give it a bit, the watch the whole thing again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:43 am 

This season was hands down one of the best things I've seen on the tube in awhile...the Harrelson-McConaughey dynamic was nothing short of amazing...I - like a lot of others- picked up on the "lawnmower man" angle relatively early in the series, but I dig how the other cult members remain at large...it reminds me of Cohle's statement early in the season about how nothing is solved in this world...I also like how the much discussed allusions to Marty's daughter being damaged in some way by the cult turned out to be a red herring or simply unaddressed...while I could've done w/o the incest finger-banging scene, the show's brain trust did a helluva job giving the viewer insight and context into Errol in a brief window...the shots in the caves/old fort are gonna stick with me for awhile - particularly the one of the mound of children's clothes and the wrapped body of a child with the antlers on the head...while the TV reporter said the cops had found dozens of bodies, there had to be hundreds of them in there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:02 pm 

I don't feel like the last three episodes contained the awesomeness of the first five, but it was still an A+ series. I really hoping they'd end up bringing some of the string-pullers of the cult to justice (outside of the two hillbillies they did get), but it was always a "small" story (you could probably fit the fourth lead's (Michael Potts) entire dialogue for the whole serial on three total pages), so it makes sense their exposure would be at the outer web of the atrocities committed. Also with the media attention being brought to the case state-wide, it would make sense that a lot of those old made-in-error cases would be re-opened and worked around all those religious schools, possibly bringing some of the higher law/government/religious elements to justice.

I found it cool that the detectives became more like each other by the end. Hart became more nihilistic and comfortable in loneliness and Cohle became more spiritual, personable and longing for family. Both irrevocably broken men, due in large part to their shared experience of catching this case.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:08 am 

Fucking fantastic series. One of the best things I have ever seen. Totally had me by the troath the entire series. Gonna get it when it comes out on BluRay, for sure.

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:47 pm 

What the hell is going to happen in season 2?

It could end with this season and it would still be a triumph.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:00 pm 

Season 2 is a whole new story that will have something to do with "the occult history of the US transportation system", and both of the leads will be female.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:38 am 

^ Saw that in an interview w/ Nic P...already stoked and doing half-ass research to try to figure out what such a storyline might entail.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:27 pm 

great audio interview with nic pizzolatto.. really cool intelligent dude. http://www.ttbook.org/book/true-detecti ... pizzolatto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:08 am 

First show of the second season didn't knock socks off, but it was promising. I remember the first ep of the first season was bit on the slow/building side as well.

The Colin Farrell casting caught a lot of shit in the corners I visit, but say what you want about him; he plays a pretty credible asshole. The character seemed a bit cartoonish, but I guess if you rounded up the top dozen actual dirty/crazy cops in Los Angeles, it wouldn't be that far from reality, so I'm going to let that aspect pass.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:27 pm 

I had the same reaction to the build up/momentum, but that's totally consistent with the first couple episodes of season one. I really like Collin Farrell's character. dirty/shakey, and yet you want to get behind him. The whole tone of the show kind of reminds me of the movie "To Live & Die in L.A." ....a grimey L.A. is a great storyline for this. The fact that all of them ended up at the same crime scene at the end of the episode felt a bit forced....but otherwise I'm on board. First season took a bit of patience, I wasn't too grabbed at first either, but the payoff was immense.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:28 am 

It only took two or three episodes to get the first season to the top of the best TV ever, so I'm willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt.

It is funny how many critics that have seen the first three episodes are throwing this show under the bus though. I guess we will see...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:13 pm 

That was surprising..

Show's terrible so far though. maybe now it will be a little less ridiculous. the first ep was campy as hell but boring somehow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:31 am 

Through the third episode, it is progressively getting worse. I'll stick it out though (it's only eight shows). I do kind of like the larger whodunnit angle and want to see what becomes of the upcoming much bally-hooed orgy scene.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:17 pm 

it's time to start connecting the dots...because this season can't ride on the strength of these characters alone. But I expect some kind of cohesion coming up shortly. Collin Farrell is still the stand out for me so far. Vince Vaughn is getting less believable by the minute.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:12 am 

Dnice wrote:
it's time to start connecting the dots...because this season can't ride on the strength of these characters alone. But I expect some kind of cohesion coming up shortly. Collin Farrell is still the stand out for me so far. Vince Vaughn is getting less believable by the minute.

Yeah, the larger story is the draw for me, as the characters, acting (or most of it at least) and larger plot movements stink. The way this episode opened (Ray waking up to a country music/Elvis troubadour singing "The Rose") and closed (having the get-a-way vehicle burned up under their noses, while narrowly avoiding death (again)) fucking sucked!

It kind of disturbs me how close the larger plot is to the first season thematically. It really is the same type of deal, except we are probably starting out closer to the perps with a larger ensemble. Maybe the first season was pure hackery as well? I don't think so, but you'd think the drop-off in quality wouldn't have been so severe.

I would agree that Farrell is probably the one bright spot, at least in his execution of what he's been given. Vince Vaughn and the closeted cop are the worst!

Last edited by Mr Red on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:15 am 

The slime-ball Mayor and his toadies/fucked up family are pretty good though. And did anybody catch Rick Springfield as the plastic surgeon in the second episode? He was even creepier than Rob Lowe in the HBO Liberace biopic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:47 am 

So far I feel it's safe to say that it hasn't lived up to the first season. The acting is fine for the most part (Farrell and McAdams being the highlights) which was the only thing I was worried about going into this season, but the story and characters fall way flat.

I don't hate it, I'm just disappointed.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 64 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next