Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 64 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: True Detective
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:43 am 

So anyone else watching it? Killer show. I haven't loved a show this much since Life on Mars (UK).

And great use of music - Thirteenth Floor Elevators last week, Sleep playing Holy Mountain this week.

Post subject: Re: True Detective
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:18 pm 

Yeah. I'm behind an episode but I love the show. It's a slow pace would be my only complaint, but it's early days still.

Also there's a bunch of these floating out there in internet land:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:04 pm 

Crutch, I thought the same thing until last night's episode...holy fucking hell - it was one of the best things I've ever seen on the tube...the final six minutes of single-shot action left my jaw on the floor...utter perfection...the fact that The Melvins, Primus and Sleep songs were part of the episode didn't hurt matters either...the playing of a "History of Bad Men" during one of the biker gang scenes could not have been better planned.

http://www.tunefind.com/show/true-detec ... 7042#songs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:20 pm 

I have last night's DVR'd but that makes me very excited.

I'm a sucker for power performances and Harrelson and McConaughey really bring it in this show. McConaughey, specifically, is having a hell of a year as far his acting chops are concerned.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:12 pm 

Shit, I'm an episode behind as well, but I just about started a thread about this show, to proclaim it's first three episodes, the best first three of any HBO series in the network's history! And now you're telling me SLEEP and Melvins shit shows up in the new one?!?

I love everything about the show; pacing, script, shots. It's really in my head. I loved how Hart joked with Cohle about loving looking at death photos and then 17 years later Cohle tells the investigators how much he loved looking at death photos. Such distilled desolation and truth. Great storytelling!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:29 pm 

Not to take anything away from Harrelson (who has been great), but I'd watch a show that was nothing but McConaughey's back and forth w/ the detectives...that said, the final half hour of last night's episode is, IMO, McConaughey's finest work ever and easily the best action sequence I've seen in a long time...Red, turn up your TV when Cohle goes out the back exit of the club...you'll here The Melvins tune.

Hell, I think I'm gonna watch that episode again tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:44 pm 

Looking forward to watching it later tonight!

I'm so obsessive about the show, I prefer to watch it On Demand, so I can stop and rewind to specific parts between 1995 & 2012. Plus, now The Walking Dead is on again, which really doesn't require any thought/processing. I can see this becoming another 'The Wire' for me, where I watch three or four times in a week to bring everything in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:04 am 

I agree with pretty much everyone. Picking up what it's putting down. Episodes deserve multiple watches.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:15 am 

Yeah, that was fucking awesome. I watched the ending twice and that last single camera action sequence at the end only had at the most three cuts over its entire five-six minute length. Really impressive, especially the one inside of the stash-house.

Oh and another reason I prefer watching it On Demand; sometimes McConaughey mumbles with his drawl, like when he's telling Hart about his past undercover life after he moves in, I have to turn on close captioning to understand everything he's saying. Years/decades of no-earplugs at shows is catching up to me. Hello old age!

Also really dig how Hart still covers for Cohle's "vacation" to visit his ailing dad all those years later. He knows they both did some shit over in Beaumont!

Never would have picked up on the SLEEP tune if I knew it wasn't coming. That was turned way down compared to MELVINS. That one was pretty obvious.

Fucking incredible show.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:45 am 

Jus watched the first episode last night. Man, this show is awesome.

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:28 am 

My favorite show on TV in a long time. OK, its a mini-series but the fact that it is written and directed by one team makes it even better. Loved the tone of the first three episodes and was totally astonished by the end of ep 4.
Of course there is a possiblilty that the next episodes and the ending/solution will be a let-down but somehow I doubt.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:29 pm 

Finally dug into this this past week. I didn't realize what exactly I was watching in episode 4 until I had a second to breath when Rust got on the phone with Marty. I was exercising while watching the episode and hadn't realized I'd long since stopped until the credits rolled. That part where Rust is holding cover between the two rooms, trying to keep things cool while realizing everything's about to go to shit? I like this McConaughey. A lot.

I gotta say though, the look and feel of this show is making me jones hard for Hannibal's return this month. Both are such dark, morbid depictions of a heightened sense of reality. The world these shows are in look and feel like our world, but clouded by a fever induced haze. Realizing that this is on HBO and Hannibal is on NBC just further highlights how crazy it is that Hannibal gets away with so much of the shit it does while being a broadcast show, and is a testament to True Detective's writing (or at the very least it's visual team) that it doesn't need that beautifully grotesque imagery to help sell that same tone.

I'm probably going to wind up lost in some sort of depression when these shows run together during the same week.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:29 pm 

I understand what you're saying about True Detective and Hannibal. Both are very heavy in subject and presentation. Both Will and Rust use their 'demons' to catch bad guys. But I think True Detective is attempting to address deeper and darker questions when it comes to humanity and that's what makes the show unsettling. Hannibal is all about watching a man being led into madness, IMO. True Detective is about the madness the world commits itself to willingly.

I love them both.

But yeah, watching those shows back to back sounds tough.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:38 pm 

Anyone think they were watching a TV version of GTA the end of ep 4? Not saying that it was bad but felt like a video game. I liked the throbbing feel to the camera and sound, simulating the drugs and adrenaline feel.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:04 am 

Loving this show. When did Sleep play in ep 4? Totally missed it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:30 pm 

In the biker bar when Marty is looking around and sees the white trash stripper on the pole. It's not nearly as loud as the Melvins tune, but it's definitely "Holy Mountain."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:21 pm 

To demonstrate how high-brow this show can be:

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

Quote:
Why The King in Yellow? I think it's obvious, and I'll go out on a limb and say the season will continue with detectives Cohle and Hart edging closer to the abyss of what Lovecraft termed "cosmic fear," which he defined as:

"A certain atmosphere of breathless and unexplainable dread of outer, unknown forces . . . a hint, expressed with a seriousness and portentousness becoming its subject, of that most terrible conception of the human brain—a malign and particular suspension or defeat of those fixed laws of Nature which are our only safeguard against the assaults of chaos and the daemons of unplumbed space."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:15 am 

That article does a pretty great job of articulating the feeling I get from the show. It has that subtle, prickling at the back of your mind sense of horror to it. A sense of dread and shadow that's circled you and is ever so slowly shrinking in around you, and if you look out the corner of your eye you might just catch the briefest glimpse of it before it consumes you. I feel like we got some major payoff to that aspect of the show with the most recent episode, and that it's finally taken the step of no return over that line I've been wondering if it would take.

And fwiw, the Kindle version of The King in Yellow is free on Amazon. Not sure if it was free before the last episode aired, or how long that particular edition will be free, but there ya go.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:47 am 

Great article. For me, at least the first three episodes are perfectly described by a quote from Dispatches by Michael Herr:
... relatively light on actual violence but intense with bad feeling ...

Its about Vietnam but nevermind.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:02 pm 

I just bought The King In Yellow based on that article and will re-read the Chandler short story "King In Yellow" soon. Huge Lovecraft fan here and I had no idea he and his kind were so explicitly incorporated into the show's mounting sense of dread although it makes perfect sense. I also recently read Nic Pizzolatto's debut novel "Galveston" which is pretty good.

True Detective just keeps getting better. Only issue now is my soaring expectations. I plan on re-watching the first five episodes now as I feverishly anticipate next week's episode.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:29 pm 

Quote:
The first time I got excited about writing was reading comic books by Alan Moore and Grant Morrison as a kid. Growing up in southwest Louisiana, in a house without many books, the sophistication and depth of their stories were really mind-blowing for a kid.

That explains a lot. Both write some crazy stuff, but Morrison's stuff especially is really nuts. I'd be willing to bet Rust's monologues are fed in part by The Invisibles.

Article's a few years old now, but if you're curious about some of Pizzolatto's influences http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... ck_check=1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:06 pm 

"Good to see you finally commit to something." Haha, the Michael Jordan of Assholes.

Really looking forward to seeing how Reverend Tuttle actually overdosed and where he fits within the overall cult.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:15 am 

If I was a betting man, I'd wager that the guy who was mowing the creepy-ass school lawn earlier in the series might be the "green-eared spaghetti monster"...Rust's dialogue - namely the use of "they" rather than "he" in relation to the circumstances surrounding the murder - suggests a larger conspiracy...very interested to see how the "big" men angle plays out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:16 pm 

Definitely a great show.
I'll probably re-watch the first 5 in anticipation of the sixth.

There are some great fan theories out there about the show, as well. I think they're buried in the comments of that linked io9 article.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:39 pm 

Awesome series, it's quickly becoming elite. mcconaughey is at a very high level on this. I need to see Dallas buyers club too

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 64 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next