Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 8   [ 192 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Rap/Hip-Hop for SR/Doom fans?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:45 pm 

Already dig many of the usual suspects, so throw out some deeper recommends. Some of the more modern stuff is finally starting to "click" for me. Prefer the slower/sloppier beats & flow. Not into the overtly gangster stuff.

Post subject: Re: Rap/Hip-Hop for SR/Doom fans?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:49 pm 

Dalek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:58 pm 

Ill Bill
Army of the Pharaohs
Jedi Mind Tricks
Immortal Technique
Sage Francis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:15 pm 

libertycaps wrote:
Already dig many of the usual suspects, so throw out some deeper recommends. Some of the more modern stuff is finally starting to "click" for me. Prefer the slower/sloppier beats & flow. Not into the overtly gangster stuff.

Who are the usually suspects? Cause besides say Roots "Phrenology", I haven't heard a decent rap/hip hop album since like '94/'95. And that includes Dalek.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:57 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:11 am 

Atmosphere
Dead Prez
Not rap, but if you haven't listened to DJ Shadow I would check him out

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:37 am 

Dnice wrote:
Who are the usually suspects? Cause besides say Roots "Phrenology", I haven't heard a decent rap/hip hop album since like '94/'95. And that includes Dalek.

Not 1 in 20 years? jeez.

Anyhow some others I'd recommend, may or may not be what you're looking for

Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Deltron - 3030
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Illogic - celestial clockwork
Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
EL-P - Fantastic Damage
Jurassic 5 - quality control
Bluprint - 1988
MF Doom - MM Food
P.O.S. - Never Better
Cunninlynguists - Piece of strange
Typical Cats - Typical Cats

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:42 am 

Cunninlynguists - Piece of strange
Already have. Any Hip-Hop act that samples Shawn Phillips GW bin LPs has to own.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:50 am 

The 'Venice Dawn' album is fairly cracking.
I would love to achieve this vintage (motown) bass tone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:06 pm 

Try Cannibal Ox.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:56 pm 

I've been on a huge 90's hip-hop kick lately and mostly for instrumentals...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:17 pm 

Holy Fuck. Alex Jones jizzed his pants when he first heard this track. I almost did too. Whoa.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:02 pm 

Wow. Is this what the kids are listening to now?!? No wonder "da man" has every cell phone tapped and the gov't has bought up millions of rounds of ammo. If you "get" the message here, this is Revolutionary music in the truest sense. Casts the poor barrios of NY/NJ/Anywhere USA as the new 13 colonies. Makes modern Black/Death Metal sound like the played-out joke music for douchebag hipsters that it is now. As a complete newbie to this stuff? I'm impressed with the content and the Passion. Not gonna listen to it on my way to work of course, but.....just sayin': Immortal Techniques rhyming and content is next level.

Last edited by libertycaps on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 am 

Curren$y
Death Grips

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:28 pm 

Jedi Mind Tricks-Psycho-Social, Chemical, Biological and Electo-Magnetic Manipulation of Human Consciousness (1997)
Souls Of Mischief-93 'Til Infinity (1993)

So far those 2 are good enough to buy the CD. Thanks for the recommends.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:08 pm 

I'm into anything Dam-Funk creates these days, he plays and records all the instruments in his apartment studio. His latest EP with Snoop is good:

http://youtu.be/5a0eOpmXrvA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:51 pm 

ever been in best buy or target and try out dr dre's headpones? crappy as helland you can't teach old dogs new tricks so these kids today never happened, find a way to milk them all you want, I'm good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:24 pm 

I grew up in the 90s and most of my friends were into hip hop, and none of them were into Black Sabbath. Therefore, I got a pretty good rap education.

Never liked the goofy/party shit when it was around, because it was the soundtrack of the ruling caste in my school, but lately I've been going back to Redman, Method Man, Busta Rhymes, Lost Boyz, etc. I can enjoy it a lot more now, mainly because it's a hundred times better than Drake or Future or any of these terrible kids who are supposed to be bringing rap into the new century. It would be nice to find some good newer shit, but other than Action Bronson who is a straight up Ghostface/90s style ripoff/throwback, Ghost himself (whose new album was great) and The Roots (who have been around for 20 years anyways) there's nothing that interests me.

As usual though, I'm not very concerned. Because even though hip hop is a very thin genre compared to rock in terms of actual artists and releases, there's still dozens of albums I'd like to pick up from the past three decades, and I'm sure I'll never get to them all, especially since hip hop was and still is a distant second to the rocka rolla in my listening preference.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:14 pm 

RalphSnart wrote:
Because even though hip hop is a very thin genre compared to rock in terms of actual artists and releases....

I would guess that there is almost as much hip-hop released as all rock and roll genres combined. nothing scientific about my guess, though. just from searching 'file sharing' sites.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:36 pm 

RalphSnart wrote:
I grew up in the 90s and most of my friends were into hip hop, and none of them were into Black Sabbath. Therefore, I got a pretty good rap education.

Never liked the goofy/party shit when it was around, because it was the soundtrack of the ruling caste in my school, but lately I've been going back to Redman, Method Man, Busta Rhymes, Lost Boyz, etc. I can enjoy it a lot more now, mainly because it's a hundred times better than Drake or Future or any of these terrible kids who are supposed to be bringing rap into the new century. It would be nice to find some good newer shit, but other than Action Bronson who is a straight up Ghostface/90s style ripoff/throwback, Ghost himself (whose new album was great) and The Roots (who have been around for 20 years anyways) there's nothing that interests me.

As usual though, I'm not very concerned. Because even though hip hop is a very thin genre compared to rock in terms of actual artists and releases, there's still dozens of albums I'd like to pick up from the past three decades, and I'm sure I'll never get to them all, especially since hip hop was and still is a distant second to the rocka rolla in my listening preference.

Great post. Not looking to have a comprehensive collection either. Just looking for a few more CDs to spin when the mood hits. Doubt i'll ever have more than 50 Hip-Hop CDs in the collection. I own about 3K in total. The math is obvious.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:00 pm 

So what's the best The Roots album to start with? They keep coming up and i don't have one yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:17 pm 

"It goes, it goes....it goes, it goes..." Your flow is utter shit. WTF was that? Anyway, can i turn off the (c)rapping? It's much better w/o as the beats are quite interesting and fresh. Some Aphex/Gabber/House bits in there, but is Death Grips some kind of post-modern Spinal Tap-esque joke band? Fuck that. Don't care. It's prolly "Tha Shit" in Y-town. Meh. Next.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:51 pm 

libertycaps wrote:
So what's the best The Roots album to start with? They keep coming up and i don't have one yet.

'Things fall apart' is my favorite. That and 'Illadelph Halflife' are their best, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:04 pm 

Mr Neutron wrote:
libertycaps wrote:

'Things fall apart' is my favorite. That and 'Illadelph Halflife' are their best, IMO.

As a native Philly kid who saw these guys playing with the likes of The Goats and G.Love on South Street when they first got going, I still hold their break out album "Do You Want More !?" as the benchmark. The first 7-8 songs are unfuckable jazz/crossover/beats/blue collar,etc. hip hop at its absolute core. Philly streets to the T. My second favorite is actually "Phrenology". Stellar album, diverse, dark, creative. Even heavy at times. Just a very good listen all the way through.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:08 am 

Mr Neutron wrote:

I would guess that there is almost as much hip-hop released as all rock and roll genres combined. nothing scientific about my guess, though. just from searching 'file sharing' sites.

I was basing that on the fact that in every store that sells cds, the rap section is a quarter or an eighth the size of the rock section. And possibly that there seems to be about one hip hop group for every ten rock bands around here, and I live in a college area with a fair amount of small time artists.

But...I'm willing to accept that there's a lot of DJs and drum and bass shit going on that could be lumped into the general "Hip Hop" umbrella in the way that we find Nine Inch Nails, Phish and Joan Jett in the same "Rock" category, if we were going to expand that way. Also, rap artists are obsessed with the fact that hip hop is "underground" even though it as a genre far outsells the type of music this website is dedicated to. I'm willing to accept that there is a lot of hip hop out there that is way under the radar as much as, say Farflung or Camel Of Doom. And I'm just not tuned into that wavelength.

Still think there isn't as much out there in general, for the aforementioned reasons and for the fact that rock has two decades worth of releases more than rap has.

It was Things Fall Apart that got me into the Roots.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 8   [ 192 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next