Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Whie Dynomite,Hey Zeus,Andrea Gillis Band-Grt Scott 11/2/13
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:40 pm 

My buddy John and I decided to hit up the rock concert at Great Scott. Seems like local luminaries White Dynomite and Hey Zeus released a single and they were having a party for it or something, a celebration of some kind. After pregaming in John's basement we headed into the Big City, hoping to avoid any holdovers from the earlier Sox World Series parade. Needless to say, the streets were quiet and we made a beeline for the rock.

We found it. It was at Great Scott last night. No, seriously. The rock that everyone says is dead, it was there. Hometown siren Andrea Gillis and her band delivered it. I forgot just how much ass Ms. Gillis kicks but was promptly reminded when I wandered up front and was instantly seized by her....whole thing. Just the voice and the attitude and whole fucking THING. Yeah, this was rock and ROLL, both kinds of music, being played right before my own stupid eyes. Shit, I need another beer.

Turns out we missed Suicide Dolls, they went on first. So now we were already up to band numero three for the night, Hey Zeus. They claimed ownership of one side of the single in question, and they were letting people know about it. Come on, it doesn't really get more ROCK than this, does it? Some sweaty long haired fella jumping up and down yelling at ya and this guy on his left playing all manner of smokin' licks and the guy on the other side playing a Rickenbacker bass like he invented the fucking thing? And then the guy in the back just beating the living hell out of a drumset that I'm hoping was his? Nah, none more rock. More beer/other is needed and procured before the headliners. To be continued...

We're back. The night is greased up heavily at this point and pretty much anything goes. So of course that's when White Dynomite hit the stage and show that yes, there is more rock to be had, it's not been exhausted yet. You know those same three chords that have been used and abused since Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly and that guy in the Troggs? Yeah, THOSE chords got played a shit ton. And it sounded fucking great. Just three or four chords played with passion and vinegar. Unger is the new Iggy Pop, so we can close the book on that one kthx. Picked up the new single for the song "Sweet Tooth", that's how much I liked it. I mean, there I am walking around with a fucking RECORD in my hand, just taking up space where a beer could be. That's how much I liked it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]