Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 20 of 22   [ 536 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Song of Ice and Fire HBO series
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:03 am 

The Shireen/Davos connection is excellent. I wonder if Patchface is going to leer his ugly head in the show....

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:15 am 

Halfway through this season, this feels like a rerun of Season 2. Does shit get moving anytime soon? First season was so much better than anything that's followed.

How many seasons of this do you think HBO will get behind? If they're starting to split books apart into separate seasons and there are like six(?) books with more on the way. Just wondering. It would be impressive if HBO kept an expensive serial going for like 12-15 years.

All things considered (corny characters/mostly dull plotlines), it's still pretty good TV.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:24 pm 

Mr Red wrote:
Halfway through this season, this feels like a rerun of Season 2. Does shit get moving anytime soon? First season was so much better than anything that's followed.

I am liking s3 much more than s2 so far...the last episode was a lot of expository dialogue, but it's pretty necessary to provide it or people are going to get lost with the various plot lines and motivations....but the episode before last? Perhaps my favorite of the series.

I think it is safe to say there are enough intense events in store for this season and next (assuming book 3 is two seasons' worth) that you should at least be sufficiently entertained.

And I am curious to hear reactions to these events from people who haven't read the books.

Regardless, and I have said it before...I am just thankful HBO took the chance and made this happen....it's not perfect, but perfect for me would not be perfect for most I am sure, so all in all I commend the network for gambling on a HUGE scale fantasy series and the producers/directors for keeping a very unwieldy and layered plot on course and relatively cohesive.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:26 pm 

For those who read the books: According to this last episode, Thoros of Myr was sent to Westeros by the high priest of R'hllor to convert Robert Baratheon to the Lord of Light.

Is this true in the books? Did Benerro send Thoros to Westeros?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

Crutch wrote:
For those who read the books: According to this last episode, Thoros of Myr was sent to Westeros by the high priest of R'hllor to convert Robert Baratheon to the Lord of Light.

Is this true in the books? Did Benerro send Thoros to Westeros?

Yes, but to convert Aerys, not Robert. He failed, obviously, then after the rebellion started drinking with Robert and so on.

While we're talking about things that differ from the books, that scene with Arya and Melisandre was friggin' awesome.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:39 am 

Thanks for the reminder.

h.p. taskmaster wrote:
While we're talking about things that differ from the books, that scene with Arya and Melisandre was friggin' awesome.

And the scene with Tywin and Olenna Redwyne was something I always wished we could've been privy to in the books. I think we only get their exchanges second hand.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Crutch wrote:
And the scene with Tywin and Olenna Redwyne was something I always wished we could've been privy to in the books. I think we only get their exchanges second hand.

Yeah, that was good. Though really all the Olenna scenes have been pretty ace. The only one I was hoping for more from was her and Tyrion.

Seems like they're doing a lot more with Varys this season too. I guess that's setup for stuff to come later, but still cool, and I like the way they're developing the Varys vs. Littlefinger angle, though I'm also looking forward to seeing Littlefinger in the Vale.

Am I wrong or did they adjust the timing on his departure? Do you think they'll bring back Dontos?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:11 pm 

h.p. taskmaster wrote:
Am I wrong or did they adjust the timing on his departure? Do you think they'll bring back Dontos?

I'm sure they will since they went through the trouble of introducing him back in Season 2. Again, the show may not be always consistent with the books, but it is at least consistent with itself.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:13 am 

Poor Theon. In the books everything that he goes through is alluded to, and what is alluded to makes you go "Yeesh." But actually watching, wow. Poor Theon.

They are milking as much bad ass out the Daenerys as they can, which is a good thing, because man those are about to become few and far between.

Also, Bolton dude should've been fed to the bear. Also, Bolton dude could've easily been Vargo Hoat.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:31 pm 

The Lodger wrote:
Poor Theon. In the books everything that he goes through is alluded to, and what is alluded to makes you go "Yeesh." But actually watching, wow. Poor Theon.

They are milking as much bad ass out the Daenerys as they can, which is a good thing, because man those are about to become few and far between.

Also, Bolton dude should've been fed to the bear. Also, Bolton dude could've easily been Vargo Hoat.

I was secretly hoping for, "My name is Jaime Lannister. You took my hand. Prepare to die," followed by him throwing him into the bear pit. Ah well.

Only managed to watch the rest of this season within the last week, but I'm all caught up now. Theon's scenes make my skin crawl. Fucking hell that is some seriously sadistic shit. And the tent scene with Robb and his wife...even if I didn't know what was going to happen, that scene was filled with too much hope and happiness for them that there's no way I would think that things were going to turn out well for them. I think my favorite moment so far was when Dany started speaking Valyrian and everyone's like "wut".

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Who's ready for a wedding feast this Sunday? I'm thinking Edmure's nuptials make for a season highlight.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:27 pm 

^^ I'm on the road, so I'm on HBOGo mode the next day.

But, yes. It's happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:22 am 

So, yeah the Red Wedding. Good scene.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:06 am 

I've been waiting 3 years for this day. I was so happy that this was the first thing I came across.

The amount of dismay and outrage is delicious. Now they know my pain!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:05 pm 

Yeah, it's rare that knowing spoilers pays off, but it did for me as soon as the queen's ears pricked up to the tune The Rains Of Castamere, as Martin goes into the significance of the song quite a bit. Also, this happened:

https://vine.co/v/b3XZMHmxzxh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:29 am 

Yep. I, like many other readers, have been walking around like a smug asshole all week.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:04 am 

I guess I was spoiled last season just reading threads like these, but still that episode was really great. It's like the show finally graduated to it's HBO Sunday Night status. I'm actually kind of surprised that the general outrage out there. I've seen people on the Facebook state they're done with the show. I'd say they need to stick around for the finale. :)

Now that the Stark/Lannister rivalry is finished, I can see why the threads in the South and the North (which I still find mostly insipid) were ginned up for the larger tale.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:26 pm 

What are the chances that Lady Stoneheart makes an appearance next week? Maybe Coldhands? I'm rooting for both but keeping my expectations as low as possible...I guess Joffrey's wedding will be on the front end of the next season...if they do it up half as good as the Red Wedding, it'll be fucking epic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:18 pm 

heavythisaxe wrote:
What are the chances that Lady Stoneheart makes an appearance next week? Maybe Coldhands? I'm rooting for both but keeping my expectations as low as possible...I guess Joffrey's wedding will be on the front end of the next season...if they do it up half as good as the Red Wedding, it'll be fucking epic.

Cold hands might be saved for next season but who knows...I definitely think Stoneheart might be the last thing we see this season.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:40 pm 

JxDx wrote:
I definitely think Stoneheart might be the last thing we see this season.

At the very least, we'll see the transition into Stoneheart. Save the actual Stoneheart-ness for the end of next season.

I don't think Coldhands is outside of the realm of possibilities for this season, but I do think they'll save that for next season.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:47 am 

I was thinking/hoping the Joffrey wedding would be the season finale, but I guess that's wishful thinking, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:52 am 

^ I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago, but they will be hard pressed to squeeze it into the season finale...although Tyrion did issue his threat to Joffrey a couple episodes go, I don't think they've covered enough of the behind the scenes plotting and scheming by other key characters to cover the wedding in the finale...I'm also curious about the Gendry angle as it is a big departure from the book. ..last week's trailer hinted that he will have a role in the season finale.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Mr Red wrote:
I was thinking/hoping the Joffrey wedding would be the season finale, but I guess that's wishful thinking, eh?

My wife and I were just trying to remember the timing from the books. You could pretty much do a season finale that's every other character on the show gasping in reaction to the Red Wedding, and that would fill an hour.

I thought Joffrey's wedding was later in the books. Might be cool to open the next season with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:11 pm 

One thing that I'm quite sure of is that we'll see a helluva lot more of Tyrion (which will rule) next season, given the fallout of Joffrey's wedding...like Taskmaster, I wonder if the wedding will be the season opener next time around.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:50 pm 

Well, there is also plenty of build up to Joffery's wedding still to be had, so I'm doubtful it will be the opener. The arrival of the Martell's comes to mind and a certain singer who gets under Tyrions skin.

What I'm unsure of is what will be their "episode 9" event for season 4. There's a handful to chose from.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 20 of 22   [ 536 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next