Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Argo
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:16 pm 

Watched this tonight. Great fucking movie. Never a dull moment, development is excellent. Tool bag leading roles elsewhere, Affleck is quickly becoming one of the top directors going. He nails time and setting. This felt like the late 70s. Just like Gone Baby Gone nailed the scumbag side of Boston....he really knows how to show realistic location. Got to give it to him, this is one of the better flicks I've seen in years.

Post subject: Re: Argo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:15 am 

Just going to throw in that the movie is a fucking farce. A rewriting of history to appease the "MURICA" crowd. Affleck is a cunt, and when questioned as to the historical accuracy, he flat out lied and acted like a cunt. /rant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:28 am 

It was okay. I didn't get the hype or the appeal.

2.5 out of 5.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:50 am 

Should check out the awesome black and white art Jack Kirby did for the fake movie. http://www.buzzfeed.com/richardrushfiel ... lm-project

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:02 am 

It was OK but the whole second half was thriller-by-the-numbers. Well-made but "Best Movie"?? Not that I really care about the Oscars.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:13 pm 

jmucke wrote:
It was OK but the whole second half was thriller-by-the-numbers. Well-made but "Best Movie"?? Not that I really care about the Oscars.

I think I may have said this almost exact sentence when it ended

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:31 am 

jmucke wrote:
My anticipated reaction to this, which is why I probably won't see it until it shows up on one of the low-rent movie channels I get at home (think "Encore"). The Hurt Locker is a fairly recent example of the same thing, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:51 am 

tough crowd, sheesh. I actually had pretty minimal expectations going into Argo. I assumed it was going to be too slow. I found it intriguing throughout. Affleck was neither a d-bag nor stand-out as the actor, Just accomodated fine. It was the story, the setting, and the pace that I dug.

I had a real hard time getting into the Hurt Locker upon first viewing. Really thought it suffered from slow momentum. Didn't even finish watching the first time. Then I revisted, and really got on board the second time around. Especially Jeremy Renner, who has quietly becoming one of the better actors of this generation (see The Town and also a great indie movie called "12 And Holding")

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:31 pm 

Yeah, I dug it too. Affleck's turned into a solid director. Nothing ground breaking or genre defining, but he knows how to put together an entertaining flick. Even if Canada, Switzerland, and Iran want to sue him afterwards.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:01 pm 

Both Argo and Zero Dark Thirty are entertaining films, I just hope people keep in mind that these movies are part of CIA's public relations/propaganda mechanism.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]