Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Peavey Firebass 700 vs. Carvin 300 Pro Bass vs. Acoustic 220
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:06 am 

I have been talking to a fellow about a possible amp swap. I am in a state of confusion with which way to go. I currently have a Acoustic Control Corp 220 head w/ Acoustic 406 Transducer 1x18 cab in really good shape. I honestly have NO idea what this is worth .
The guy that wants it has offered a 1984 Carvin Pro Bass 300 with 4x12 and 1x18 cab($600asking price) and a Peavey Firebass 700 with a Peavey 215 cab loaded with 400 watt Delta 15a's(asking $500). Also 2 Traynor YS-15P cabinets were brought into the mix but i would have no head to play them with.
I am not sure if i want to keep my Acoustic(not really attached to it) or trade up. What should i ask and which amps are better?

If it helps i use Fender Pbasses and play heavy rock(Stooges, Motorhead, Clutch, etc)

Post subject: Re: Peavey Firebass 700 vs. Carvin 300 Pro Bass vs. Acoustic
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:26 am 

I had the Carvin Probass 500 in the early Snail days, and recorded the first record with it. I have to say, I wasn't a fan at all. Very, very cold sound, and no way to overdrive or saturate it at all. I traded it straight across for my Fender 400PS that I still play today. Talk about getting the better end of that trade! I'd say you're going to get the best tone out of the Acoustic amp compared to those other two amps mentioned. If by "trading up" you mean more wattage, I'd wait it out until something better comes along.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:01 am 

Thanks for the advice.
I want something a little better than what i have but ultimately have no cash to buy. These trades sounded great. I am really intrigued by the Carvin 300 Pro because of the matching 4x12 and 1x18! I think that would sound killer but i am not sure i want that large of a rig to tote around. The Peavey head is nice too and i think i would like the 2x15 cab a lot. That being said, i am not into Peavey stuff at all! I know they have made some half good bass stuff in the past so i windered if this may be one of them.
Also i cant try out any of them as they are several states away!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:55 am 

If you trade that acoustic amp later on you will most likely regret it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:13 pm 

I usually do end up regretting stuff i part with. For example: I had a Model T reissue with 2 matching Sunn 4x12 cabs and it was all in mint shape. I sold it for a pretty penny and was never real into the sound so much but i it was so F'n cool to look at and a great conversation piece.

Kinda leaning the Peavey direction right now...never thought i would say that. I have a general distaste for all things Peavey. They are built to last but i have never been a fan of the tone.

Anybody know about those Delta 15a speakers in the Peavey cab? Should have been Black Widows?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:22 pm 

A few months ago, I sold a pretty nice Acoustic 370 head and 106 2x15 cab for not too much over $300. I have seen them go for more, I have seen them go for less. However, I wasn't playing it and I needed the money, so off it went.

That sounds like a pretty good trade, honestly. That particular Peavey head is one of their better in my opinion, and as I am sure you know, a workhorse/built like a tank, etc. You can find plenty of testimony on them over at talkbass, if you are familiar with the site. I have always had great luck with Peavey stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:38 pm 

Man around here you could get $600-800 for that 370/106 setup.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:40 pm 

Acoustic gear is dead weight in my area. I don't know anyone who has it or wants it. The "vintage' gear stores won't even touch it. I picked up my gear dirt cheap from my old bass player who played in my doom band with me. I think i payed $200 for the head and cab.

The guy who wants to trade gear with me just got in touch to tell me he sold his Carvin stack. So I boils down to whether or not i wanna trade for the Firebass and 2x15 cab.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:54 pm 

What kinda sound are you looking for? The old Acoustics are well suited to the heavy stuff, IMO, but it would help if we knew why exactly you want to get rid of the old girl.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:17 pm 

Like i said earlier- I am just not really attached to it. The sound is OK, Its a little cumbersome to move around gig to gig (god forbid the gig is on anything but the first floor! haha!). I am just not in love with the amp. I threw it up on Craigslist Pittsburgh asking for possible trades as i know ppl collect the vintage stuff and the 1x18 cab i have is rare. I got a couple of responses when i recieved the one offering up the Carvin and the Peavey rigs. I don't know much about either rig so i inquired here.
I have no cash to buy what i want so trading something i am not that into seemed the next best choice. If Peavey or Carvin get bad reviews from folks, i have no problem keeping the Acoustic. I don't hate it by any means so please don't spread that rumor in case it gets back to her. It would crush her.Lol!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:25 pm 

I think I need to make a road trip and fill up a truck with Acoustic gear and bring it back out here and make a killing!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:14 pm 

i use that peavey head. gets plenty loud (especially if you've got the cabs to push 2ohms - i'm guessing that 215 is 4?), but not a lot of flavor of its own. needs dirt added.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:31 pm 

I have the 220 head w/ the matching 2x15 cab, and I have to say, it was cool, but I wasn't totally in love w/it until I lent it to my bass player, (I'm a drummer), and he hooked it up to his 2x15, as well. That head doesn't really light up until you run it into 2 ohms, IMO. Right now, running it into 2, 2x15, 4 ohm cabs.....The Voice Of God!!!!

Seriously, the 1x18 is rare and cool, but try it with some other cabs before you trade it off.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]