Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Boardwalk Empire
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:55 pm 

Anyone get into this one. I started to, but.. eh... not sure how I feel about it at this point. Something about Buscemi being the main character. I like him and all, but not sure if he is really main character material.

Revebnation
LastFM

Post subject: Re: Boardwalk Empire
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:57 am 

Great, great show. It has it's high and low points but it's definitely worth watching the entire series. I highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:00 am 

As soon as it comes out on DVD, I'm on it. I'm ok with being a year behind with HBO. Getting ready to load up on Treme as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:59 am 

Stephan Graham as a young Al Capone is amazing.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:15 am 

It's the best show on HBO now, but saying that now doesn't have the same gravitas it did in 2004 (The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Curb, etc...).

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:07 pm 

All these movie channels are starting to gravitate towards long series like these because soon every movie you want to see will be free or pretty close to it with minimal membership fees. The blu-ray players and tv's with built-in wifi are going to kill HBO, Max, Starz, etc...

Revebnation
LastFM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:25 pm 

Very much agree with Mr. Red and Crutch. Capone is my favorite character on the show.

Season 3 is airing right now. Anyone watching?

Troubling that they gave an entire thread to Margaret Thompson. This rigid gash makes Mitt Romney look human.

Episode 5 just aired.

A war is brewing. This Rosetti fella is a madman. Amusing they're bringing kink into it, nearly to his death. Van Nelson has become the black comic relief, man his life took one hell of a turn, I'm really enjoying his antics. I'd like to see some more of Richard Harrow who has to be the most interesting character on the show. Reminiscent of the film The Face of Another exploring physical human monstrosity.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:14 am 

Holy shit! Thanks for bumping this thread.

I haven't caught the latest episode but I love this season. I feel like this is what it must've been like to watch The Sopranos while it was on the air (Soprano fans, am I wrong?). Only this involves historical figures, which is wholly positive for me. Granted, it takes some creative license with those figures, but so what?! Even the original characters like Gyp and Nucky are tangible and real and fantastic to watch.

Gyp Rosseti (sp?) is fucking brutal. He's like the Bane of Boardwalk Empire.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:49 pm 

Been following all three seasons religiously. The first season was fun, but still off base enough I could understand why people wouldn't get it. The second season is when it gets real...though still slightly awkward...Gillian *shudders*...the third season; holy fuck, watch this show. This is serious television. We watch a LOT of television (breaking bad, sons of anarchy, own deadwood, justify, grimm, hell on wheels, motherfuckin superhail) and boardwalk empire is our favorite.

I'm gonna bring the collar bar back. I won't use a clip on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:49 am 

Yeah I'm all caught up. I love it but Nucky is kinda losing it this season. He will get his comeuppance me thinks. I hope we are headed for some Harrow shooting soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:44 pm 

Yeah that little actress is twisting him all up and making him obsessive.

My two least favorite characters on the show are fucking again, the two Irish. I wish Nuck would discover this and kill them both, but I suspect he wouldn't. Well, possibly his lackey, Owen whatever his name is. I could see him dying, and it seems due since his character is going nowhere. Maybe Nuck's hag's schizophrenic pyromaniac son will clue him in.

Nucky has two wars going on at this point. One against the Attorney General and one against the psychopathic masochist Rosetti. Hopefully he'll make some waves this coming week.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:23 pm 

Its cool. The whole Masseria "capo di capi" thing is brewing against Syndicate Babies. Historically speaking, it's the prelude to the Castellamarese War which propelled Lucky Luciano to the top. That shit is going to be the new future for Luciano and Lansky for the coming future and using Rosetti as a device to drive that future war is superb.

Good show. Everytime you think you know what's coming, someone dies.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:17 am 

Gaston Means is making this season tolerable since they decided to stop giving Harrow stuff to do. Van Alden and Harrow should be regulars. They are the best characters. Owen is pretty tired and should've been killed off just for boring the shit out of everyone. I would let Gillian call me James all she wants.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:44 am 

Dangerous game there buddy, you might end up dead in the bath.

"It's just heroin, lovely heroin"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:26 am 

I've finally caught up. Kind of annoying that I can't fast-forward through the Margaret scenes now though.

The Chicago stuff with Capone and Van Alden is the best stuff going on right now. It seems like the New Jersey stuff just keeps reliving all the same cliched scenarios over and over again. You know, how unbelievably lucky Nucky gets everytime a hit gets put out on him. It's happened in every season now where he's dodged a bullet/explosion.

I'll keep watching though. Oh yeah, the Gillian stuff is pretty good as well. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of her. Nucky's probably going to have to find a way for her to disappear, just because she's so close and can provide surveillence to his far-away enemies.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:25 pm 

Poor Van Alden. I was waiting for him to fucking lose it at that sale job. It was only a matter of time.

That explosion at the end didn't play right with me. I don't know why, but I was expecting something a little less....I dunno....dramatic?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:07 pm 

Poor Van Alden? The man finally got revenge and scared the shit out of every huckster in that office. Great scene. I've thoroughly enjoyed every moment of this fall from grace. He looks a lot like Jimmy McNulty from The Wire but every inch of his face is contorted in a permanent grimace. Such a great character.

Why the fuck is Margaret playing such a heavy role? I imagine she will drift back into the larger story at some point but yeah Red, this woman is brutally dull. Same with Owen, but he's supposed to be a hired goon, yet he's such a sensitive principled man. He hasn't done anything interesting since he fucked Margaret the first time. It looked like he may actually have a pair of balls, but not so much. Maybe Margaret will blackmail him at some point to try and leverage Nucky, but he himself has no leverage and is barely on the inside.. Hopefully her pyromaniacal son will torch them both while they're rolling around in a hay bail.

Gillian is good too, she's so conniving and psychopathic. I'd imagine if she were to try and spy on Nucky she'd have to use Harrow. If she were to disappear Harrow would likely spin out or maybe join up with Nucky, he is quite useful.

Looking forward to this war, hey maybe Rosseti will take out Owen. Hang him from a dog leash or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:30 pm 

death shade wrote:
Poor Van Alden? The man finally got revenge and scared the shit out of every huckster in that office.

Oh no! Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that it's not fucking awesome for him to finally snap and let those sales douches get their medicine. But my sympathy comes from Michael Shannon's performance. He's a fucking talented actor with a good precision of portraying a break down. He makes his meltdown so awkward and so realistic that there's a tragedy to it. But maybe that's just me.

On this past weeks episode:

Great episode for Buscemi. Some of that PTSD shit was hard to watch. Rossetti is a seriously fucking lunatic. That thing with the hat at the end was both funny and scary.

Here's what I don't understand: Rothstein and Luciano were ALSO close to that bombing, you'd think they'd want to end Rossetti as much as anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:56 am 

Yeah, based on history with Luciano's eventual rise, it'll probably be him that comes to Nucky's rescue here. Maybe with Harrow being involved in some sense.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:40 pm 

I am curious to see what htey do with Capone...his dealings with New York / New Jersey, historically speaking, get fewer and far between at this point, and with the departure of Torrio he basically is busy running shit in Chicago, but the show seems to be keeping his character as a focal point.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:10 am 

Looks like everything goes down in the next episode, the second to last of the season. That's how a lot of the HBO serials go (Sopranos, The Wire, etc...), all the shit hits the fan in the second to last episode with the last one being devoted to the aftermath/epilogue/setting up the next season.

I do have to kind of say good riddance to Owen. Kind of a dull character for representing the degree of heavy they were shooting for. At least compared to Capone, Darmody, Harrow. Even Van Alden (ha!).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:51 pm 

yeah the teaser for the next episode was basically a montage of everything I have been waiting for...I'll be happy to see Harrow get out the guns again...wondering if he's going to end up on Nucky's side for the showdown.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:09 pm 

JxDx wrote:
I'll be happy to see Harrow get out the guns again

Fuck yeah. When Harrow means business, those are some the coolest / my favorite moments.

Also, what a great line, "...then we talk about who dies." - Capone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:16 pm 

PineheadFuck wrote:
Fuck yeah. When Harrow means business, those are some the coolest / my favorite moments.

Also, what a great line, "...then we talk about who dies." - Capone.

Definitely ...

Capone, Chalky and Harrow...things are improving for Nucky.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:21 pm 

Ending that last episode with Capone was fucking tits. The little lady and I were literally clapping and punching the air.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next