Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 81 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Netflix streaming
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:51 am 

I guess a lot of others do this?

what have you seen, and what do you recommend?

the past week or so

The Good. The Bad, The Weird. - Crazy Korean western type thing set in 40's China.
I loved it. Super violent, great cinematography, and an ending I liked, even though you can see it coming. 4.5 of 5

Tucker & Dale vs Evil - A horror-comedy that succeeds despite not really excelling in either genre.
A funny way to play the shiny college kids vs backwoods hillbillies thing. some good kills. Plus, Allan Tudyk & that hot chick from 30 rock
3.75out of 5

Rubber - A good send up of horror, and indie flicks. They beat the "message" behind the movie over your head, but it's good cheesy fun.
3 of 5

I saw the devil - korean revenge movie, with a great twist to the revenge "arc"
Violent. Really well shot and acted, but drags at points. edited down 15 minutes or so this would be close to a classic.
3.5 of 4

Post subject: Re: Netflix streaming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:35 am 

Shuttle - Fairly dumb thriller where you have to ignore stupid decisions by characters several times. other than that it was ok. 3/5

Buried - Guy buried alive with a cell phone, sounds dumb but it was entertaining. loved it. 4/5

High Lane - Horror/Thriller Generic but well-done. 3.5/5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:05 pm 

A very depressing documentary called Dear Zachary. Compelling, but again...very much a bummer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:38 pm 

Crutch wrote:
A very depressing documentary called Dear Zachary. Compelling, but again...very much a bummer.

Saw that on MSNBC a few years ago, gutted me. Just...beyond fucked up.

Spoilers (Seems inappropriate, but for a documentary, it's constructed in a manner that makes the end a horrible twist):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Zacha ... His_Father

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:40 pm 

New to me, I just found a series on Netflix called Classic Albums. Hour long documentaries on the history and stories of various records in all genres. Only seen a few so far but will try to watch them all. The ones I have seen have interviews with all the band members looking back and talking about it as well as producers generally. Also archival footage of course.
So far I have seen;
Paranoid, Never Mind the Bollocks, Ace of Spades,Deep Purple-Machine Head, Rush-2112/Moving Pic's, Fleettwood Mac-Rumours, Steely Dan-Aja, Nirvana-Nevermind....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:33 am 

Last night we watched Ghost Blues: The Story of Rory Gallagher.
very cool. Interviews with him and a good amount of live footage spanning Taste until the end.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:37 pm 

Man, that Dear Zachary was incredibly sad & depressing. Those poor parents. Holy shit.

There's a scene towards the end when the father yells into the camera with utter rage that really shook me. It gave me goose bumps and kind of startled me a bit. Up until then, he and his wife are recounting things in a sort of 'matter of fact' way. Then it's BLAM and all the emotion hits you in the face. It's very compelling; especially if you're a parent. You can relate to that.

Good documentary, but I don't think I'll need to see it again. Kind of like The Bridge.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:05 pm 

FYI, "Last Days Here" the Pentagram doc, just landed on planet stream this week.

Also, GOON! Seriously it's the best hockey movie since Slapshot. It's incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:11 pm 

The Lodger wrote:
FYI, "Last Days Here" the Pentagram doc, just landed on planet stream this week.

Cool, thanks. Been wanting to see it. Will watch it tonight.
Watched Heckler last night. It was very interesting. Well worth watching if just for the boxing scene. FFW to 4:16...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:26 pm 

"Vernon Florida"
One of my favorites has endured on the ever changing Netflix Instant queue. Its an early Errol Morris doc that compiles stories of dead end residents of a forgotten Florida town. Just characters. Telling stories. With true moments of hilarity.
EDIT - the rumor of "Vernon Florida" is that Errol Morris went to Florida to investigate a the story of a wide spread insurance scam where manual labor workers would intentionally cut off a hand on the job and then live off of the huge insurance payout. It was supposed to be called "The Stump Club", but when Morris got to Vernon he found that no one would talk to him about it. So he made a movie out of all the stories he recorded trying to break the ice with various residents.

"Planet Of The Vampires"
Mario Bava's early space horror film that proved to be one of the main influences on Ridley Scott when he made "Alien". Awesome sets and even though its dubbed, it is truly as spooky as any sci fi film ever made.

"It! The Terror from Beyond Space"
The other main influence on Ridley Scott when he made "Alien" luckily also resides on Netflix Instant and its a humdinger of a film. As intriguing and tense a sci fi thriller as you will see from that era. Get yourself a glass of whiskey and enjoy this one late at night.

"Endless Sumer"
nuff said.

"Withnail and I"
I know, you've seen it. But every aspect of this film gets better with repeat viewings and with pickings so slim on Netflix Instant I have never regretted going back for another viewing of this. If only to further decipher the cockney I previously missed...

"ALL of Star Trek"
The original series, TNG and DS9 are all on here.

"The Year Of The Horse"
Jim Jarmusch's inimitable profile of Neil and Crazy Horse cranking it out decade after decade. Neil scraps with Billy Talbot are always the highlight for me LOL.

"Drugstore Cowboy"
This movie is probably one of my top three ever of all time. Visually, storywise, the score, performance wise, its just a perfectly crafted film and the kind that gets made only with a lucky convergence of talent. Because we've since leaned that Gus Van Zandt isn't that great of a director.
Also, Kelly Lynch at her hottest.

"Dragnet"
Before bed I'll watch Jack Webb's staccato delivery for hours on some nights. Its a man's show.

Also:
True Grit, Killer's Kiss, Urban Cowboy, 12 Monkeys, Drive, Terminator, Dead Man

Last edited by HORNS on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:45 pm 

See, I fucking HATED "Heckler." I thought it was going to be an awesome doc about comics and their relationships with the audience, and for the first 45 minutes that's sort of what it was, then the rest of it became Jamie Kennedy bitching about critics saying how his movies sucked. To me there is a subtle and important difference between hecklers and critics. The doc leads to believe that they are one in the same. Sorry Jamie, your movies are terrible and so are you, it's not the fault of critics that you are awful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:14 am 

Seasons 1 &2 of Archer. Good stuff.

God Bless America. Another one o those "beat you to death with the message" movies. Directed by Bobcat Goldthwait. I really enjoyed this. Some of the main character's rants are just priceless.

Slowly working through 30 rock as well

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:40 pm 

HORNS wrote:
Because we've since leaned that Gus Van Zandt isn't that great of a director.

Truer words have never been spoken.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:17 am 

On there now.

And its pretty damn good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:34 am 

The Lodger wrote:

Also, GOON! Seriously it's the best hockey movie since Slapshot. It's incredible.

Jesus H, Last Days Here was equally sweet and harrowing. Amazing that that dude is still walking and talking. I remember the shitshow the 2005 concert caused on SR.com.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:34 pm 

last night I watched:

Fela Kuti: Music is a weapon. Absolutely stunning. Not as much music as I expected, but to see the stuff that Fela dealt with on a daily basis is equal parts horrifying, and inspiring.

Stranger: Bernie Worrell on Earth. A much too brief love letter to one of the most outrageous musicians there is. To see the reverence that people like David Byrne, Warren Haynes & Bill Laswell have for the Purple Woo is really heartwarming. I wish it would've been longer than 40 min, though.

both are highly recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:35 pm 

Went on a bit of a bender last weekend and watched The Thing, Goon, RoboCop, Dirty Harry, Super 8, and Snatch all for the first time. RoboCop and Dirty Harry really feel rather dated at this point, but were entertaining anyway. Not really sure I see all the hate for Super 8. I thought it was pretty great, though the ending fell a bit flat. Goon is very much in the vein of Slap Shot and is well worth a watch. Snatch was fun and is the first film in that Guy Ritchie/Statham "style" (for lack of a better term) that I'd seen. The Thing was fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:19 pm 

I watched Super8 last night and I thought it was awesome. Flat out awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:44 am 

Watched Goon last week. Fucking loved it.

Also watched Love The Beast. It's a doc done by Eric Bana about his 1974 Ford Falcon he has had since age 15. It covers their history and him entering it in a five day rally race. A great movie for car loves. It also doesn't hurt that Bana is dreamy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:35 am 

Bullio wrote:
RoboCop and Dirty Harry really feel rather dated at this point, but were entertaining anyway.

Anyone that dislikes Dirty Harry is a pinko.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:13 am 

last night I watched '5 sides of a coin' which is supposed to be an overview of the evolution of hip-hop "culture."
I liked it, but think it would've been better served as a mini-series, or multi-part documentary. Well done, but just not enough of any of it. The surprising thing I really got out of it was that DJ Spooky is a really interesting dude, I will investigate him further just based on listening to him speak.

I also watched ' copyright criminals' which attempts to be a philosophical look into the practice of sampling in hip-hop. A commendable attempt, and there are some great insights ,particularly the always acerbic Steve Albini (who seems to hate everything he isn't directly involved in), and Clyde Stubblefield (the most sampled man ever, and has never seen a dime for it.)
The film fails in a couple of ways: it makes caricatures of the folks that oppose sampling for the most part (overly enthusiastic lawyers with dollar signs almost superimposed over their eyes.)
It also mentions Led Zeppelin as one of the most "anti-sampling" bands out there, yet skips over the history of them "borrowing" blues artists' songs, and trying to pass them off as originals. Maybe that falls outside of the scope of the film, but it seemed an obvious oversight.
Still it was a short, and interesting look into how hip-hop has changed in the last 25 years or so.

I'd give '5 sides of a coin' 3.5 of 5, and 'copyright criminals' 3 of 5.
both are interesting and worthy, but neither is essential

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:52 am 

The Wonderful Wild Whites of West Virginia

Seriously one of the more disturbing movies I've ever seen recently.
A documentary about D. Ray White's family.

I can't remember ever seeing a movie that has made me cringe like this.
I fucking loved it.
The worst people Ive ever seen documented that are so oblivious as to think they are living freely, and that the problems that are visited on them aren't their own collective fault.
Well shot, a KILLER soundtrack (hank 3, deke dekerson, EARTH...) and the film completely does its job. It paints a (seemingly) real, yet unflattering portrait of a family that is simultaneously revered and reviled for living how they want.

4.5 of 5

watch this, you'll feel better about you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:37 pm 

I'm not even a football fan by any stretch, but The Marinovich Project is an exceptional film about how one of the brightest prospects in the history of the sport completely unraveled.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:25 pm 

Here's a few I enjoyed.

RSO [Registered Sex Offender]

This film is hilarious. I was rooting for this cat all the way.

A Boy and His Dog

A guy roaming post-apocalyptia with a telepathic dog, where women are traded as currency. How can you go wrong?

Hardware

Seriously overlooked sci-fi flick. Great soundtrack too. If memory serves, Iggy Pop makes a cameo appearance.

The Baby

For all you infantalists, a highly entertaining horror film about an adult baby. I don't know how in the hell this film earned a PG rating.

Deranged

This one's about my friend Ed Gein. A great horror film with some dark humor scattered about.

I don't get to watch very many films these days. Too busy. But I could go on and on. Their is a TON of top shelf entertainment on NF streaming.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:46 am 

Watched a documentary called Marwencol last night. Would definitely recommend it. A dude suffered severe head trauma in an attack and lost memory and motor skills. Afterwards he creates an alternate reality (called Marwencol) using GI Joes and Barbies.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 81 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next