Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ye Olde Last Show/Next Show Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 pm 

Last - I think it was Slabdragger, Sardonis, Acid King (went home before St Vitus, too tired, heresy blah blah)
Slabdragger were their usual scummy selves, nice sound, need to learn a few lessons about putting songs together, but it's early days.
Sardonis were not as exciting as on record, two piece sounding a bit thin, not enough bile.
Acid King were their usual slow, groovy, doom monster. Yum yum.

Next - there may be a couple of local punk/crust/thrash/hardcore pub nights that I pop into, but the next proper ticketed one will probably be Dopefight, Rammesses, Eyehategod. It's going to be vicious.
Off to fight The Man the next day at one of the most heavily policed places in the country, yay!

In fact thinking about it I might try and get some good old fashioned amphetameens, sounds about right for the occasion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:56 am 

Mr Red wrote:
So Whitehorse ended up being the type of band that would have ended up being in Emissons lore if they'd ever played. Total props for the intense travel/devotion those guys are representing. It really does mean something. This is the type of band that makes it worth my while to get out of the house and face the various hazards/douchebaggery an old gentleman like myself might encounter in this age.

Oh HELL yeah!

I had trouble making it out to the show 'cuz I'm an old man and was doubting my interest in the whole endeavor and then Whitehorse proceeded to fucking floor me, the lead singer putting everything into his performance even though the band was playing to no more than 20 people.... Metal warriors for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:04 pm 

So turns out Trippy Wicked are on in Bristol tonight, may be a cross reference to the 'shall I go to the show' thread, it's pissing with rain and I was planning on a quiet one.

I'm playing coy and working on the basis that I may not make it, but secretly my hindbrain is planning how to get me there.
One cider down so far, the argument is getting more persuasive...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:42 pm 

JkFlesh wrote:
Mr Red wrote:
So Whitehorse ended up being the type of band that would have ended up being in Emissons lore if they'd ever played. Total props for the intense travel/devotion those guys are representing. It really does mean something. This is the type of band that makes it worth my while to get out of the house and face the various hazards/douchebaggery an old gentleman like myself might encounter in this age.

Oh HELL yeah!

I had trouble making it out to the show 'cuz I'm an old man and was doubting my interest in the whole endeavor and then Whitehorse proceeded to fucking floor me, the lead singer putting everything into his performance even though the band was playing to no more than 20 people.... Metal warriors for sure.

Did you see them in Philly because i will be mightly pissed off if I missed their show?

Last edited by whoshotthefrog on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:17 pm 

Last: Govt Mule on Tuesday. Great, but what band needs a 40min intermission after an hour onstage and then moans about the curfew?

Next: Soundgarden/Stooges/Mars Volta next Friday

Tickets booked for Karma To Burn, Fu Manchu, Pentagram, Monster Magnet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:25 pm 

Last: Guns 'n Roses at the Graspop festival. They sucked balls. Thank heaven for Motorhead, Twisted Sister, Death Angel, Sacred Reich and Slayer

Next: Saint Vitus probably

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:35 pm 

Last: Whitehorse/Laudanum with about 25 people.

Next: Maiden with about 25 billion.

edit: and what Red & JK said about Whitehorse.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:51 am 

Last: Kings Destroy last night
Next: Horisont next week

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:36 am 

Welp, I'm *kind of* proud of myself tonight. Attended rock and roll for 11 hours with about a 90 minute breather (for dinner) without drinking myself to the point of insanity. Unlike a couple of other nights within this weird ass holiday week.

Tonight I ended up seeing a killer Turbonegro tribute band (which I'd frankly rather see again than deal with the hassle of seeing the real Turbonegro), Heavy Voodoo, Norska, LESBIAN, Billions & Billions, Nether Regions, Anhedonist, Grave Miasma, Lord Dying, Danava, Dead Congregation and Midnight! Also caught up with a lot of my peoples. Took Monday off, so yee-haw! Good spending of PTO resources!

Next show is fucking AUTOPSY! on Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:09 am 

Best band was probably Grave Miasma followed by LESBIAN. Saw LESBIAN outdoors though, so that took a lot of the power away. They've been a favorite of mine for years now.

Never herd Anhedonist before, but they were awesome. A GREAT melding of doom/death! Dead Congreation felt lightweight to me following Anhedonist and Grave Miasma. Sorry!

Lord Dying and Danava were both reduced to like two songs sets due to schedule running late. They both still slayed. Midnight is a lot of fun, in a fun Motorhead-Venom way, but way over-rated as far the hype they get for what they do. Still, a good "official" capper to the eve.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:09 am 

Last - ?, Prosperina, Trippy Wicked... on Friday night. Was a spur of the moment thing, only found out TW were playing at about half 4 that afternoon. Got there soaked through to find some shitty local indie band on, but then that's what the venue's like and why I'd given up looking up what's on there. Prosperina had a good mix of riffs with some interesting time shifts but they sound very 'green' and could do with a year or so to hone their sound.
TW were fun but not mind-blowing, mood was a bit subdued with the weather and small crowd but their boogie-doom-stoner got some bums wiggling.

Next - if I make it then Wooden Shjips tomorrow (will be hipster central), if not probably a hunt sabs thing cos it's still four weeks til EHG.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:07 pm 

Last show: local stoner/occult band Venomous Maximus (about to embark on their 1st national tour).

Next: My own band's CD release show on July 21st with James Rivera (Helstar)'s Sabbath Judas Sabbath (Dio era Sab/Priest tribute) and Owl Witch.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:13 am 

frobbert wrote:
Last: Guns 'n Roses at the Graspop festival. They sucked balls. Thank heaven for Motorhead, Twisted Sister, Death Angel, Sacred Reich and Slayer

Next: Saint Vitus probably

Hold the Vitus. Come saturday I will be attending a festival in Nijmegen, The Netherlands where Ufomammut, Red Fang and Baroness will be playing (and since the last Baroness was so disappointing maybe I'll check out Belgian weirdo folkies Kiss The Anus Of A Black Cat at one of the other stages)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:20 pm 

Hey, I saw a Turbonegro cover band last weekend, Apocalypse Dudes! They were on a bill with Iggy Plop & the Shit Pants Jesus and Static Age...

Last night was an awesome hardcore house show, quality punk rock and roll- Brown Sugar, Dry Spell, Unholy Thoughts and Devil's Hand.

All these bands are awesome, but folks on this forum would probably be most into Devil's Hand, metal punk for fans of Speedwolf, Midnight, Motorhead. Highly recommended, listen to this shit now- http://devilshand.bandcamp.com/.

Next- probably MV + EE day after tomorrow...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 pm 

Last one was a friend's band. Will be seeing Agalloch on Friday then Melvins on Sunday

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:01 am 

Last: AUTOPSY fucking killed it tonight! Someone posted on Facebook that this was better than their set at MDF. Whatever it was, it was fucking impressive.

Next: For sure, EYEHATEGOD in seven(!) weeks. There really isn't a lot happening between now and then that really floats my boat. Stuff on the weekend is kind of weak and some good shows during the week, but just that; school nights. I don't know, I might go out and see Melvins on Wednesday. They have some sembelence of air conditioning running in that venue now, which was never the case before (same venue as AUTOPSY was in tonight).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:42 am 

Last: Bruce Springsteen ant the E Street Band @ Hyde Park last night.

Massive 3 hour set, played a couple off Nebraska which made me happy. Butchered Jonny 99 though, turning it into another pop-rocker. Bummer. Ghost of Tom Joad with Tom Morello was great. Very muddy. I got very drunk.

Next: Grifter, Trippy Wicked in Croydon next week.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:10 pm 

Mr. Red....thanks for the compliment. I'm the Pal Pot in TurboIgor (or TurboEagle as we were for that show). That show was a blast...even in the heat/hungover state most of us were in.

Our Hank used to be in my current band, Witchasaurus Hex. We're playing Katie O'Briens on the 20th of this month with Doomsower, Towers, and Avi Dei (if you wanna also add that to the upcoming shows in Portland list).

Anyways...thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:37 pm 

Last: Venomous Maximus, Iron Tongue, Peckerwolf last night

Next: I dunno, I'm returning to a rigid 2nd shift schedule tomorrow.

Upcoming: Mutants of the Monster 2 on Labor Day Weekend. YOB is here Sept. 14th

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:36 am 

Hey right on rockingham. That day/night was a whole lot of fun. Thank god most of the deal was outdoors instead of the basement though, eh? I stuck around until the end, when they moved Danava and Midnight to the basement. I only saw Midnight down there, but it wasn't all that bad. A lot of the crowd had thinned by that time.

I got your show down for my next update. Feel free to bmail me any other stuff you got cooking anytime.

I found out about five minutes after my post last night that EAGLE TWIN is playing here on 8/4, so that shit is fucking mandatory. So keeping with the intent of the thread....

LAST - AUTOPSY last night

NEXT - EAGLE TWIN on 8/4/12

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:43 am 

Couple of good ones in a row-

Last Night- Radio Moscow, Dirty Streets, Caves Caverns, Boney Loner and the Sacred Teachers

Tonight- Mike Scheidt, Nate Hall early club show, followed by a nightime chiller house show again with Mike and Nate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:56 am 

Last: Mouth of the Architect w/Mockingbird, By Way of Sunstorm, and Before the Eyewall.

Next: Tomorrow is Hammers of Misfortune w/The Gates of Slumber and Deadsea.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:59 am 

Gogol Bordello last night

Eyehategod in 10 days

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:00 am 

18 days to eyehategod for me...

last show: managed to go to two gigs last night. I went to go to an anarchist benefit thing with skacore/punk stuff, bands weren't on yet when I got there, and there was promising noises coming from over the road. Strolled into the pub opposite and there was a crust band on \m/. Spent most of the night there, saw some d-beat, bit of sludge, spazzy grind type stuff, and dipped in for some pogo-action with the punks between bands. Met Lovely Mrs after her work and skanked through the last hard ska band then cycled home sweaty and full of booze. Good times.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:54 am 

Going Grifter/Trippy Wicked/ Profane and Sacred tomorrow night.

After that I think it is Eyehategod in London town

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next