Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Good blues rock amp.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:24 pm 

I'd like to just jam with friends these days, and would like a recommendation on a lower wattage amp, yet obviously high enough to keep up with a full band.

Tube, naturally, I'd like to have something that will be warm and expressive, responsive to my playing style, and will also have a smooth and clear overdrive.

Many have recommended a Vox AC30, is this going to be overkill volume wise?

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

Post subject: Re: Good blues rock amp.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:36 pm 

AC30's are bright as all hell.

You may enjoy the Epiphone Valve JR. One knob, you can throw almost anything in front of it for an amazing tone...

Tube change is immediate, though. Those Chinese ones are meh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:41 am 

I have always liked Epiphone, as a company, and have understood that their basic designs are sound, and the limitations are basically the Chinese electronic elements (such as the crappy potentiometers, input jacks, toggle switches and whatnot in their guitars), so I will really consider this option in depth.

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:36 am 

An Ac-30 is loud as fuck. Maybe not Twin or VT-22 loud but 30 watts in this case is like a LOT and approaching jet engine decbels even in the 2x12 combo. Great amp, possibly my all-time favorite - the old ones. Nothing like it. I guess the new ones can be good too. You gotta be a fan of the EL84, though. For low-watt blues I'd look into a Fender 1x12 Tweed Deluxe or some 6V6 type amp. Oh, the bonus could be the Silvertone 1482. Tone city. But yeah, otherwise, the Deluxe possibly...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:42 pm 

Not sure what availability is like across the pond, but a Laney LC30 is another to consider. The early ones have shitty H/H speakers, later ones are better. But if you can get an old one cheap you can shove a vintage 30 in and problem solved.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:49 am 

I do like EL84 tubes, what did the old AC-30's use?

I will look into that Laney, I do have some speakers kicking around, some 12's that are half decent, or I could rip apart a 4x12 if I don't like how those sound either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:10 pm 

peavey classics are pretty sweet and can be had on the cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:31 am 

I've always liked Peavey, that is a good suggestion as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:37 pm 

Get a Vox Night Train. Those guys can dial in almost any tone and have plenty of headroom, even for such a small wattage amp. You can find them used for around as cheap as $250 on FeeBay.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:38 am 

See if you can find a vintage Traynor Guitarmate Reverb. I've got one in the studio and I love it. It does Marshall/Vox tones at 20 watts in a 1x12 combo. Stick a tube screamer in front of it for more gain. Awesome trem, good 'verb too, although a bit sensitive on the blend. They recently reissued it, but the new ones are pricey and I think you can still find the old ones for $350-450. If that's too much, the Valve Jr and the Night train are both pretty cool for cheap, but not as nice as the Traynor.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:38 pm 

I second the Peavey Classic series. I've used the 30W combo and man it sounds sweet! It wont do Black Metal, yet it's loud enough for a small-medium venue.

Dinger wrote:
I have always liked Epiphone, as a company, and have understood that their basic designs are sound, and the limitations are basically the Chinese electronic elements (such as the crappy potentiometers, input jacks, toggle switches and whatnot in their guitars), so I will really consider this option in depth.

I've seen epiphones falling appart and some that are built strong, so I guess it's a matter of luck.

In my humble opinion, wood is an uber-important factor: the sound is not eactly "limited" by it, but you get DIFFERENT TONES depending on the physics of the tree it was brought.
I play a Epiphone Les Paul and Im really happy with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:25 pm 

I have an Epiphone Valve Standard 15w combo and would not recommend them to anyone.

Not loud enough for practice/gig situations. At all. And I've heard some LOUD low wattage amps. But this is not one of them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:20 pm 

I would suggest one of those Ampeg Reverb Rockets for this application.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]