Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Justified (TV series)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:19 pm 

Who's seen this? Stars Timothy Olyphant as a federal marshall in Kentucky, based on a story by Elmore Leonard. It's contemporary but Olyphant's gunslinging ways give it a Western feel. Also stars Walton Goggins (of The Shield). I recently caught the first season on dvd and enjoyed it thoroughly. Excellent performances and characters, although the plotlines are nothing special. Season 2 is broadcasting now but I haven't seen any of it.

Post subject: Re: Justified (TV series)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

JkFlesh wrote:
...the plotlines are nothing special.

I think that's basically what's keeping me from really enjoying this show. I liked Timothy Olyphant in Deadwood, and after that, none of what's happening here feels especially three-dimensional or really worth paying attention to. Maybe that's not a fair assessment, but put Timothy Olyphant in a cowboy hat and I think a lot of people are going to have high expectations. It's like giving Al Swearingen a show where his character is named Pal Pearingen and he runs an ice cream truck.

I do, however, love that FX constantly writes the word "shit" into all its original series, just because it can and it makes them feel edgy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:03 pm 

I enjoy it well enough. Keeps me entertained on a boring day. I enjoy the amount of violence considering it is a "law" show. It's also kind of fun that they wrestle with the modern day south and it's images/stigma.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:15 am 

Watched the pilot last, entertaining but not on par with The Wire, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Shield etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:37 am 

I seen almost every episode so far. I don't have HBO and I don't feel like "catching up" (via dvds or on demand) with the "WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS!!!? GREATEST SHOW EVERRR!!" cable shows I've missed several seasons of. So "Justified" made it easy for me to get into something that I can look forward to every week. It's no "War And Peace" and nothing real fresh either, but I'm pretty into it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:42 am 

Necro'd because I just got around to watching season 2. It's still fresh, but I think I'd put it ahead of season 1 at this point. Definitely looking forward to season 3 in a few months. I haven't seen Deadwood, but I think Olyphant is great in this and find the show highly enjoyable overall.

Speaking of season 3, it seems the new villains have been cast.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:11 pm 

I'll echo the last two sentiments. Nowhere near the other shows mentioned, but entertaining and considering the subject matter, not as dumb as it could be.

Which isn't saying that it doesn't have some pretty dumb dumbness going on occasionally. cause it does.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:25 pm 

Having a villain come down from Detroit works on a level they don't mention: A lot of people up here, specifically in the Detroit suburb of Taylor (AKA Taylortucky) have roots down in Kentucky. My step-granddad was from Inez, Kentucky I could easily see this character being from one of those families that came up in the 40s and 50s to work at the factories during the war and stayed for the union wages, going down to the places his dad or granddad used to talk about, seeing family he saw at family reunions and such as a kid.

Would be interesting to see a slick Detroit gangster ry to recruit distant hillbilly relatives to his cause.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:57 pm 

Season 1 took forever to come out on dvd... I assume Season 2 will be the same. Doesn't Season 3 start soon? FX sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:32 pm 

JkFlesh wrote:
Season 1 took forever to come out on dvd... I assume Season 2 will be the same. Doesn't Season 3 start soon? FX sucks.

Season 3 won't start until March 29th 2012. If they follow pattern, the DVD/Blu Ray will be out about six weeks before season 3 starts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:52 pm 

Ah, well that makes a little more sense, then. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:59 am 

Fucking Quarrels. Everyone has to be so fucking stupid with this mother fucker.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:08 am 

I watched only First season of this show...
According to the first season this show is awesome..

Download Free Movies without any registration at watchmoviesplanet.com

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:40 am 

I'm catching up on season 3 right now. From the first episode I thought the premise of the show was ridiculous. I'm thinking, ok, are they going to put Raylan in a duel every few episodes?
It's not my favorite show and I almost cringe knowing there's a new preposterous episode coming each week but I'll be damned if by the end of the show I didn't enjoy it. I like the Kentucky/Detroit thing (and I spend a night in Corbin once) and Walton Goggins was made for the role of Boyd Crowder.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:42 pm 

It's nowhere nearly as profound as Deadwood, but I've yet to read an Elmore Leonard book that's been more than just an entertaining crime story. And as series based on a series of his books, I think it's damn fine television. Some of them – the dentist episode and the one about the NY transplant mob informant and the idle rich guy – perfectly capture the tone of Elmore Leonard's writing. Almost straightforward capers that zig instead of zagging when you least expect it. Started season 2 the other night. We're fans.

Plus, Angry Timothy Olyphant is always fun to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:12 am 

I like Timothy Olyphant a lot, too, so I was hoping for the best with this one when I decided to check out the first season after ignoring it for so long.

I got through two episodes. It's not bad, but I guess after watching multiple HBO series, which are great, my expectations were too high for this one. Maybe because of the limitations of FX (cable)?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:40 am 

I'd say you're partly right. There's less freedom (a given) and more ratings expectations (an assumption) on basic cable channels than on premium ones.

The other reason, of course, is that you're the type of curmudgeon who'd get a free blowjob and think, "Eh, it was okay, I guess."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:49 am 

FWIW the later seasons are a lot better than the first one. Myself having never been a fan of cop shows with the one story arc per episode format as opposed to multi-episode/seasonal story arcs almost gave up on this show half way through the first season. but it's worth sticking with imo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:25 am 

I've talked with enough people that I'll give it yet another shot. It seems I was too hasty to dismiss it, yet again. Too many people I know and trust are positive about this show, so I need to be more patient, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:46 pm 

It's a show that's better viewed a season at a time. I managed alright with season 1 watching each episode each week, but I completely missed season 2 when it was airing. I watch all of 2 over the course of a week and felt "right". I watched season 3 the way I did season 1, and I felt a bit lost at times and the whole thing just felt disjointed. I can't say for sure whether that's due to watching an episode a week or weaker writing during the season, but I think watching a whole season at once is the way to go with this series.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:23 pm 

So did anyone catch the season premiere last Tuesday? The show always feels stronger when the focus is on the native culture and local elements in Kentucky, which might explain why I didn't dig season 3 as much as the previous two. Seems like they're getting back to that in season 4, which I wholly approve of. Premiere was good and setup some really promising storylines for the season.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:09 pm 

I watched the season premiere of NCIS a couple weeks ago and it was such a piece of shit I couldn't wait for "Justified" to come back. Personally in real life I never hear anybody talking about the show. It's always "Dexter" this, "Game Of Thrones" that. Maybe it's a regional thing. At any rate, I've enjoyed each season about the same, which I don't expect anyone to understand, as I've seen such strong opinions online about which one was the best. I thought this season is starting out in the usual fine form. Maybe I'm just easy to please!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:07 am 

Curious to see how much more we will see of Oswalt. Laughed pretty hard when he showed up.

Enjoying the potential conflict with the scorned husband "can't knock him down with a hammer". Curious to see where the Panamanian license thing goes considering the chief seems a little more interested than usual.

I love that I can now have bourbon unabashed on a week night. God bless Kentucky.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:48 am 

So season 4 wrapped tonight.

I don't remember how Drew Thompson became a "thing" during this season, so I'm left a bit unsatisfied there. Something about knowing something about a guy that killed a US Marshall or something, I think?

The psycho church amounted to what felt like a whole lot of nothing. They showed up in the premiere, Boyd told them to fuck off, and then the sister shows up in the second to last episode for 5 minutes. I don't even know what the point of all of that was, especially since the trailers for season 4 seemed to play them up as being a major force during this season. They were barely a blip, which is a shame. That could have been a lot of fun.

I think this season is one I'm going to have to rewatch when it hits Blu-ray. I liked this season a lot more than the last, but there are a lot of little things that I must have missed or forgot about between weeks that hopefully will make themselves apparent while watching the whole season at once.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:00 pm 

This is one of my favorite shows - just love the interplay between Boyd, Raylen, Wynn, and all the other main players.

It's not as deep as some of the other titans of TV these days, but I don't think its dumb at all. It's often quite subtle (gun duel's notwithstanding).

It's a show I look forward to most every week - when Breaking Bad isn't on.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next