Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 24 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL BEER THREAD
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:43 am 

spiritualleader wrote:
Adam,
Have you tried the Maui Coconut Porter? I think you'd like it. Comes in a can. Yum.

I have tried it.

It wasn't my favorite but I also hadn't been drinking many porters at the time and I can be hit or miss with coconut related items, this one hit me a little harder than I would have liked. That said, I also committed to a 4 pack of it at the time and it could have simply been a case of too much all at once. I know the liquor store where I build my own 6'ers offers this as a single so maybe next time I am there I will pick one up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:51 am 
Site Admin

spiritualleader wrote:
H.P. -
you're a moron, and I say that lovingly as I have friends from New Jersey. Really, you talk about "nose" on a beer and, yet, you're drinking it straight from the bottle? That's like holding your nose while eating foie gras and saying it smells great.
Do the beer a favor and just try to drink IT. Not all the other great beers you love, just drink IT and judge IT for what IT is.
I haven't had it, so maybe it sucks, but it sounds like you want it to be something other than what it is. Kinda like that Swedish chick I dated who kept saying, well this is better in Sweden. My eventual question was why the fuck did you leave Sweden if it was so fucking great?

Hahaha, I thought acknowledging that I was drinking it straight from the bottle was kind of accounting for the "nose" thing, but fair enough. And I did my best to judge it on its own terms and in the end came out thinking it wasn't all that bad. I don't know that I'll buy it again immediately, as I thought it was a little over-the-top, but I've certainly had worse from Sam Adams.

And come on dude, everything is better in Sweden. We all know it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:52 am 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:27 pm 

I've had a bottle of Infinium in my fridge downstairs for a year now. Not because I'm a big fan of aging beers, but because I've never seen the occasion to drink it(it was a gift). Does it age, or should we break it out after several beers into the evening?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:45 pm 

I think I had the Ovila Dubbel last year when I was at Falling Rock. Thought it was pretty good. Wasn't my favorite beer I had that day but I'd be happy to drink it again. Never had the Quad but based off my experience with the Dubbel I'd certainly be willing to give it a shot, but reading the taste profile for the Quad over at BA suggests that it might not actually be for me afterall.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

lftwng4 wrote:
I've had a bottle of Infinium in my fridge downstairs for a year now. Not because I'm a big fan of aging beers, but because I've never seen the occasion to drink it(it was a gift). Does it age, or should we break it out after several beers into the evening?

They say you can age it, but having only had it the once, I don't really know what the benefits taste-wise are of doing so.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:33 pm 

h.p. taskmaster wrote:
And come on dude, everything is better in Sweden. We all know it.

Ha, everything except the beer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:37 pm 

Adam wrote:
Never had the Quad but based off my experience with the Dubbel I'd certainly be willing to give it a shot, but reading the taste profile for the Quad over at BA suggests that it might not actually be for me afterall.

Take those BA reviews with a grain of salt. I suppose those are helpful as a guide, but you've really got to try them yourself.
We have a couple of kegs of the Quad in the cooler, I'll let you know when we put it on.

On aging the Infinium:
I haven't had it, so take this with a grain of salt too; my impression of the beer is it was meant to be had fresh, so if I had one I'd drink it right away. It won't be bad aged, but it might not be what the brewers intended.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:39 pm 

Hitting the streets next March.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:45 pm 

spiritualleader wrote:
Adam wrote:
Never had the Quad but based off my experience with the Dubbel I'd certainly be willing to give it a shot, but reading the taste profile for the Quad over at BA suggests that it might not actually be for me afterall.

Take those BA reviews with a grain of salt. I suppose those are helpful as a guide, but you've really got to try them yourself.
We have a couple of kegs of the Quad in the cooler, I'll let you know when we put it on.

I do generally use it as a guide. I basically look for what is consistent from one review to another to another. With the Quad a large number of the reviewers use similar comparisons to what kind of flavors they are getting (figs, raisins, dates), and that seems fair since those flavors getting attributed to quads a lot it seems. Not saying I know what the beer will taste like but I think I know what direction I should be looking, and those are 3 flavors that I don't care for personally. Not universally, I suppose, but in general.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:19 am 

I had one of these tonight, I highly recommend If you like "beer" that smells like acetone, tastes like crap, and gets you drunk in a hurry (if you wants more than a half of a bottle):

had a couple of different 3 floyds brews.... A moloko, and a brian boru. I enjoyed both, which is odd because Im not much of a 3 floyds fan usually. Also had a southern tier IPA, which was extremely tasty, but i reserve judgement because at that point I had had enough of a lot of things to cloud my judgement, and tastebuds.
I will probably go grab a 6er of that the next time i drink beer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:36 am 

The wife loves Moloko, at last count she had 4 bottles in the fridge downstairs, along with countless Southern Tiers. I keep telling her she needs to drink them instead of hording them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:04 pm 

Stuck with the ever faithful Hazelnut Brown Nectar for new years.

Currently watching the Broncos game and enjoying a Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett Yellow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

Mr Neutron wrote:
I had one of these tonight, I highly recommend If you like "beer" that smells like acetone, tastes like crap, and gets you drunk in a hurry (if you wants more than a half of a bottle):

Does that really say 15%? How can there be any room for flavor with that much alcohol???

Those Dogfisherwhatsits need to cut the crap and just start making bourbon if that's how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:49 am 

yep 15%

it was not to my liking, at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:10 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:54 am 

Oh, man, I'm jealous.

*drools*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:57 am 

Adam wrote:
Currently watching the Broncos game and enjoying a Crooked Stave Wild Wild Brett Yellow.

Adam, I'm very sorry you decided to watch the Broncos play, that was an excruciating game to watch. Brutal. Beep, beep, beep; the sound of a division winner.

That Crooked Stave Yellow is very good. I just tried the Green, which just came out, yum. Very hoppy with a subtle Brett character. That Brett will develop over about 6-10 months. I'm aiming to get a few bottles and see where it goes. I love it now, but some more Brett and a little less hops might be a cool development.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:57 am 

I was debating between the green and yellow of the Crooked Stave's and chose against the Green because I was worried about the hop profile, I wasn't looking for something too bitter. How bitter exactly is it? What might it be comparable to in bitterness level?

I passed on the Rouge one because it was the oldest batch, but perhaps I should have gone with that one instead if these beers age so well. And I actually went looking for their Petit Sour Guava but it, unfortunately, was sold out.

And thankfully I am not a Broncos fan so while it was a boring game I wasn't emotionally invested in it. I did enjoy the Broncos more this season than any season past as I enjoyed seeing their defense begin to come alive but Tebow is brutal to watch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:16 pm 

bitter like an IPA. You don't want that one if you're avoiding hops.

Between the Rouge and Yellow I prefer the Yellow. I haven't aged either of them so I have no idea where it will go.

The Guava smells like bleu cheese and tastes like bleu, aged gouda and sliced apples. I've never had a beer like it. I joined their membership program and the first beer coming my way is a Blueberry version of the Sour Guava. Can't wait.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:55 pm 

Good to know about the Green. I am curious about it but for the price of one of those bombers I am probably best going other routes. Generally not an IPA fan but there are some exceptions (like Odell's which is one of my favorite beers).

If I could afford it I'd have joined their membership club. But right now that's $300 my unemployed self does not have.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:28 pm 

Drinking some Friek from Odell's right now and finding that I am definitely a fan of these wild ales. I just wish they were a lot more affordable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:57 am 

h.p. taskmaster wrote:
Mr Neutron wrote:

Does that really say 15%? How can there be any room for flavor with that much alcohol???

Those Dogfisherwhatsits need to cut the crap and just start making bourbon if that's how it goes.

Yep, it's 15%.
Some beers that are 15% drink like they're 8 or 9%. Some drink like they're 23%. Personally, I don't like the ones that are too boozy. I want the flavors and want to pretend I'm not drinking so much alcohol.
My favorite of their bigger beers is, hands-down, Palo Santo. An amazing, luscious, rich beer with tons of complexity and port-like/vanilla notes. Yum.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:29 pm 

Hess: Ex Umbris (Rye Imperial Stout)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:49 pm 

600!

I'm on the Bristol Beer Factory's Ultimate Stout

Made with Belgian yeast and roasted malts apparently.

Much more tasty than I usually give a stout credit for which is why I thought I'd give it a go. Smooth feel but strongly bitter and tart in the mouth, and 7.7% so it's fairly hefty.

Got a 'Southville Hop' from them which I might have after dinner - it's basically a US style IPA by the looks of it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 24 of 73   [ 1806 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 73  Next