Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Dexter season 6
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:31 am 

The first episode has already leaked if you know where to look.

I just finished watching it and I can tell you it's going to be a badass season.

Colin Hanks and Edward James Olmos?! Amazing!

Post subject: Re: Dexter season 6
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:20 am 

Great first episode. I love how he became "popular" at his reunion. I'm glad he didn't pass up that blowjob. That chick was smokin' hot. This season should be really interesting with Olmos and Hanks since they seem to be religious freaks. The way they killed the fruit vendor, disembowed him and then placed the snakes in his stomach was disgusting. This will definitely be a great season but every season of Dexter is great.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:52 pm 

Dexter has yet to disappoint. And from the premiere, shows no sign of slowing down. Stoked.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:05 pm 

Just watched the season finale last night. All through the season I was pretty sure I was done with the show due to the immense stupidity so prevalent in the last two seasons. The twist at the end might make for a halfway decent 7th season, but I'm not getting my hopes up. we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:35 pm 

That was shit. The whole season. Goddammit.

they killed Doakes off way too early in the series' life and it suffered for it. He added some danger and gravitas that the series never got back, certainly not from Quinn. If you look at it, Dexter only really worked due to the circumstances surrounding him. It worked with Doakes adding tension, with Deb protecting him on the police end, and with Rita protecting him on the home end. When they offed Doakes it went into a place where they introduced Jimmy Smits and that "main baddy" in each season. For the most part other than the let-down finale the season with Smits worked. Of course John Lithgow's brilliance is really what made season 4 shine as well. However the cracks at that point were showing. Without Doakes around any and all sub-plots involving Miami Metro Homicide dragged the show down. They started focusing on shit no one cared about to fill time. It worked for season 3 and 4 because it was almost like a tease because you wanted to see what would happen next with the main baddy because they were so strong, and the time spent with Rita and her kids was worth it because it offered a good juxtaposition with his murderous ways. Getting through the other crappy stuff was worth it to see the rooftop scene with Prado, or him going to Trinity's home for the first time. Then they offed Rita, and suddenly it all began to unravel. Again one of the bench-mark moments of the show actually hurt it in the long-run. Without Rita the plausibility of him being able to be the murderous Dexter started to fly out the window, and the contrivances started.

I can really tell you the moment Dexter really jumped the shark, though. Lumen. Once season 5 started to get into full swing and we learned that this wasn't Dexter who was on the hunt, but someone else he was simply assisting, it started the real and visible descent into becoming a bad TV show. Not only was there no Doakes, no Rita to support Dexter and make the show interesting and grounded when he wasn't on the hunt, but even now the big baddy wasn't so big at all. No one gave a shit about Jordan Chase because no one gave a shit about Lumen. Chase wasn't a bad guy they established like Trinity or Prado. You didn't care about him because likely if Dexter never meets Lumen he and Chase never mix it up. No one cares about him because Dexter didn't care about him. No one cares about Lumen because the writers were trying to shove this odd love story down the audiences throats when everyone is still shell-shocked from the finale of season 4. It was also the beginning of the writing seeming to flounder and not knowing where to go with the show, like the creepy babysitter lady stuff with the Jesus statue, and so on. Once season 5 ended with everyone all hunky-dory, with them trying to convince you everything was OK and back to normal, it in fact was everything but.

The writers have written themselves into a hole over and over again, and are left with nowhere to go with the character. Deb knowing is inconsequential really. It's something that happened in the first book. It was never something Jeff Lindsay meant to have hanging over his series, rather a twist in the first book of the series and an facilitator for Dexter's actions later on. In fact if they had replaced killing Doakes with Deb finding out not only would it have facilitated keeping Doakes around, if and when they did kill Rita it would have facilitated Dexter plausibly getting away with being an absentee father as well, instead of him magically having a babysitter that is more of a full-time mother than a college kid watching a baby for a few hours. Instead we're left with a cliffhanger everyone saw coming a mile away, one in which no one really gives a shit about the outcome.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:16 pm 

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Didn't know the end twist was in the books, but it came off as a half hearted attempt to save whatever waning interest those dumb enough (me included) to have stayed on till now still had.

the next two seasons are the last two, officially. also the story arc that started with the end of this season will carry through to the end apparently. I might give it a chance next year - because I'm dumb and will watch all kinds of crap.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:12 am 

Season 6 of this show is too good.. I always watch this show.
All characters in this show is awesome....

Watch Movies Clips Free at watchmoviesfreek.com

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]