Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
 Post subject: School me on FZ-2
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:49 pm 

Maybe I'm retarded, but I can't obtain any good sound with it, but - which is worse - this pedal is cutting the signal of my guitar - when sound is supposed to fade out, it's brutally cut out instead. And it sucks. Any ideas what may cause it?

Oh, and I know that my english sucks too :D

Post subject: Re: School me on FZ-2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:04 am 

It's full of too much shit. The more crap you stick on a circuit board, the more your original signal fades.

www.ronsound.com

www.fuzzboxworld.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:10 pm 

if it's cutting out there might be a little bias pot inside that has been turned way down. I had one for awhile and got some gnarly tones with the one setting. Put it first in your line of pedals.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:18 pm 

Or it could be a piece of garbage, just like mine. I <3 me some Ewiz, but I also like having tone that doesn't sound like it was processed through two metal trashcans, and a cheap rainstick.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:00 am 

Was this used on 'Come My Fanatics' as well?

I'm curious as to what he used on the first album as well but it's probably nothing very noteworthy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:02 am 

Yep,

and Boosted Marshalls or Sound City heads on the first album. There's no fuzz. Only godly clarity and win. First album is the best album.

Sansamp bass tone ftw.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:27 pm 

SunnO))) wrote:
Yep,

and Boosted Marshalls or Sound City heads on the first album. There's no fuzz. Only godly clarity and win. First album is the best album.

Sansamp bass tone ftw.

It's mostly pure doom metal and my favorite too. I suspect that it was largely a result of them hearing Sleep's Holy Mountain but I could be wrong. That last song sounds very Sleepy and way more stoner than the rest of the album.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:28 pm 

That's a straight Laney, on the holy Mountain.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:46 pm 

The FZ-2 setting that Electric Wizard used (on dopethrone at least) is based on a Univox Superfuzz, you might be better off using one of those or a clone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:37 am 

If you can't get a good sound out of an FZ-2 it is YOU not the pedal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:48 am 

Neighbor664 wrote:

True, assuming you like E-wiz tone of course. Which is a reasonable assumption if you post on this board.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:50 am 

I had one for about a year a few years back when I was building up a fuzz collection. After I got laid of in '09 I sold all gear that wasn't used with the band and the FZ-2 was a casualty of the sell off. Yes, you could get a perfect Dopethrone tone with it which was fun for about 10 minutes. Any other fuzz settings were useless IMO, there are much better fuzz pedals for general fuzz usage. The best thing with it was the clean boost setting which worked well. Now that I pay a solo in one song, I sure could use that clean boost again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:04 pm 

Alot of the tones you hear through pedals in general, are not just the pedal in question--they may be stacking it through another one (treble booster/ EQ/ boost, etc). I've got some awesome sounds by certain pedals, but I had to change my amp settings for certain ones (ie: bright pedals that don't have a tone knob, bass-less ones with no bass knob), and of course, a single coil versus humbucker will sound different and some guys may even have things like parallel wired humbuckers to cut alot of the mud/ volume. It's why I always suggest trying a bunch of similar pedals at the store on the same amp and guitar to see how they vary from each other.

The newer FZ-2's have the COSM technology on 'em, and i'm not sure how they differ from the older ones, so that may be something else to consider.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:21 pm 

Volume wrote:
Neighbor664 wrote:

True, assuming you like E-wiz tone of course. Which is a reasonable assumption if you post on this board.

Actually the tone I get from my FZ-2 has nothing to do with that setting or e-wiz. I don't even care much for them.

I like the tones in the upper octave setting. It really sputters in a cool way if you put any kind of a boost before it too.
it also makes a pretty decent boost itself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:07 am 

Omlet wrote:
Maybe I'm retarded, but I can't obtain any good sound with it, but - which is worse - this pedal is cutting the signal of my guitar - when sound is supposed to fade out, it's brutally cut out instead. And it sucks. Any ideas what may cause it?

I had this problem for a while. I tried putting all kinds of boosters and EQs before the FZ-2 to try to get more sustain. Nothing worked. Then I stumbled onto the answer - put a good overdrive AFTER the FZ-2. I use a Tech 21 Oxford pedal. It not only makes up for the FZ's lack of sustain, it also adds a ton of Orange/Matamp type character. The combination of the 2 pedals is amazingly heavy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:19 am 

Ryan Electrocution wrote:
The newer FZ-2's have the COSM technology on 'em, and i'm not sure how they differ from the older ones, so that may be something else to consider.

I think you're thinking of the FZ-5.The FZ-2 hasn't been made in years. The FZ-2, FZ-3, and FZ-5 are all very different pedals. Only the FZ-2 has the "Fuzz 2" mode that provides the ultra-heavy Electric Wizard style fuzz. The FZ-3 is similar to the "Fuzz 1" mode (weaker fuzz) on the FZ-2. The FZ-5 is the COSM pedal, that imitates a Fuzz Face, Maestro Fuzztone, and Octavia. Confusing, eh? That's Boss for you.

If anyone wants to explore the FZ-2 sound, but doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a vintage pedal - check out the Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz. It's a clone of the FZ-2, only made out of plastic. It's cheap and flimsy, but the sound is extremely similar. I wouldn't use one at a gig, but it's a great bedroom pedal.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]