Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: looking for a good combo
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:29 pm 

Was hoping to get some suggestions for a good combo, perhaps a 2x12. Not looking for jangly clean like an AC30, something that has some breakup, but a predominately bluesy/rocksy tone. Not really after a deville or twin sound, either, something with a bit more character.

What are your fav combos?

Post subject: Re: looking for a good combo
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:25 pm 

I have a 50 watt metro amp 2 x 12 combo, and it is the greatest amp that i have ever owned.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:46 am 

the character comes from your fingers not your amp..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:27 am 

After many years of trying to convince myself I didn't like the sound of fender amps, the 15 watt blues junior changed my mind. Breaks up really well, and sounds great with a boost pedal - Rory Gallagher type tone easily achievable with a strat. Heard they sound even better if you swap the stock speaker with a vintage 30, but happy with it the way it is.

I like the Laney LC50, it is a 1x12 amp and class A/B. Have heard good things about the posh one, the VC30 and it is a 2x12. Haven't actually played one so can't comment on sound though. Iommi uses Laney...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:38 am 

mortlock - if that were 100% true we could all play shit solid state amps and crappy entry level epiphones and it wouldn't matter...

Tossom - I hear you on the blues jr's, I also spent many years telling myself I didn't dig fender's tone, and have recently come around to them a bit more, just not sure if I wanna commit to a fender just yet. also a huge laney fan, a gh100L is my main rig. I'd actually love to look at more Laney combos, but as i understand it they lost their importer and most laney amps have become kinda hard to track down and play enough to make a decision on purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:06 am 

audiodork wrote:
mortlock - if that were 100% true we could all play shit solid state amps and crappy entry level epiphones and it wouldn't matter...

Tossom - I hear you on the blues jr's, I also spent many years telling myself I didn't dig fender's tone, and have recently come around to them a bit more, just not sure if I wanna commit to a fender just yet. also a huge laney fan, a gh100L is my main rig. I'd actually love to look at more Laney combos, but as i understand it they lost their importer and most laney amps have become kinda hard to track down and play enough to make a decision on purchase.

Ah, didn't know Laney would be hard to find in the US - thats shit to hear they lost their importer. Laney combos are a common sight in music shops in the UK certainly! I could try and convince you on the blues junior by posting some sound clips! Haha. Nice simple little amp, has more balls than you'd think - honestly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:39 am 

I appreciate the advice and it's on the top of my list to check out... not a bad price point, either!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:05 pm 

The Orange ad30 is pretty cool, nice thick overdrive. A friend of mine has one, it has had some reliability issues though, crappy tube sockets and whatnot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:49 pm 

volume-

I agree, love the sound ont he ad30, but shockingly know of similar reliability issues. A friend of mine has one and has all sorts of RF issues with it, believe it or not, without a guitar plugged in!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:13 pm 

find a used peavey classic 50.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:16 pm 

3 2x12 combos I've owned and would buy again:
Peavey Classic 50 - EL84's but very versatile for blues rock (edit concur with Mr Neutron)
Ampeg VT22 - sounds great, weighs 10million tons. Awesome
Fender Pro Reverb - pedal platform clean to grits. Fender sound

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:53 am 

all great suggestions guys, thanks. I have my playing cut out for me!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:20 am 

I own a Laney VC30 1x12 combo. Picked it up 3 years ago used for $600 after taxes. It's a Class A amp. Clean channel takes all pedals, tons of headroom and really easy to get the Sabbath sound. The Drive channel is pretty nice, it feedbacks really easy at higher volumes, has a fairly compressed sound and I find an overdrive is more than enough to push it. It also features a lush reverb and when using the Bright switch on the clean channel, you can get some nice surf sounds.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:38 am 

The Peavy Classics and the Crate Vintage - especially the white Palomino models - are amazing values. 30 to 50 watt all tube for around $300. That said, the best bang for the buck I've found in a combo is Rivera. The older Knuckleheads are killer amps. The best Blackface cleans and awesome JCM 800 tones on the dirty channel, both with boosts. I picked mine up for $550. The big difference between them, besides the tone, is the Peavy and Crates are mass produced in China, while the Rivera is hand made in the US, with some of the best customer service you could ask for. If they think something that broke shouldn't have, they'll fix it for free.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]