Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Confused question from a non-musician (be nice)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:34 pm 

Hey all- first time I'm posting in this particular forum, but I've got a weird, probably very easy to answer question.

I go to shows when I can, and I've noticed one constant: there's a set of amps on stage when I get in, and all the bands use that same set of amps. I'm assuming the amps belong to the headliner? Anyway, I'm curious: does a guitar's tone override the amps for the night and come directly and only from the guitar? I thought amps also provided tone...Sabbath started out with Orange and Sleep and High On Fire continued with Green...surely there's a reason for the amps? If not tone, what is it? Volume?

I'm confused. Be gentle.

Post subject: Re: Confused question from a non-musician (be nice)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:57 pm 

You're likely seeing what is known as a backline, which is typically one wall or bank or stacks of speaker cabinets for use by every band. This minimizes set changeover times; if you look closely between bands you'll see they're actually changing the amps themselves, which is where most of the tone you mentioned is coming from (the actual amps are much smaller boxes that sit atop the large backline cabinets, they're roughly the size of a toolbox or boombox radio)
Some clubs, especially the bigger/mid-sized places, have their own backlines, and sometimes the headliner/last band of the night will offer their cabs to everyone to use (also called "backlining")
Black Sabbath very rarely used Orange, there's that famous German television clip of them with Oranges in the background, that's generally why folks think that....

cheers man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:00 am 

Thanks man, clears that right up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:10 pm 

Just a side-note, as your question was already answered, but Sabbath usually used Laney for the recordings, at least the first two records. Guitars AND Bass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:30 pm 

Peter Green used Orange Amps. He was the first guitarist in Fleetwood Mac. He is my favourite musician of all time, his playing touches me on a level that none other can. I have not heard his whole catalog simply for the reason that a single note of his brings so many beautiful thoughts and images to my mind, I focus on certain songs for years, studying as many subtleties as time allows.

The Green amp made by Matamp in the 1970's was named in his honour.

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

Last edited by Dinger on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:42 pm 

mysteriousmammal wrote:
Just a side-note, as your question was already answered, but Sabbath usually used Laney for the recordings, at least the first two records. Guitars AND Bass

Thought I heard he used marshall or hiwatt. He was endorsed by Orange back in the day but Iommi said he wasn't a fan. He didn't always use Laney. I just can't remember what he used prior. Then again I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:46 pm 

Crohny wrote:
mysteriousmammal wrote:

Thought I heard he used marshall or hiwatt. He was endorsed by Orange back in the day but Iommi said he wasn't a fan. He didn't always use Laney. I just can't remember what he used prior. Then again I could be wrong.

Laney Supergroups, and on later albums a Klipp 2 (in the Ozzy era) Those Supergroups are for all intents and purposes Marshall SuperLead/Bass clones, he had a germanium rangemaster to push the front end

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]