Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 6   [ 131 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: worst stoner album of all time
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:41 am 

Buzzville was a warehouse of shit-bad "stoner" bands...lots of COC and Kyuss worship done very poorly...Monkey 3 and Los Natas were the only redeemable bands on that label that I can recall...

As for particulars, I'd nominate Artimus Pyledriver and Maylene & the Sons of Disaster as two of the worst bands that I have encountered...they sounded like the retarded offspring of Clutch and Pantera...couldn't believe Clutch actually took the Maylene band on tour with them...Wolfmother sucked something awful as well...

Re: the Isis clones, the list is long...Hydra Head, Init and Translation Loss put out of a lot of clone material, but the flow seems to have slowed down a bit over the past couple years...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:47 am 

@kyussfreak

Actually, someone mentioned the 2nd Witch album (you know, the band with J Mascis) as opposed to the 2nd Witchcraft album. Kind of a big difference there. So, as always, nice reading comprehension skills.

@"heavyaxe"
I have to say I liked the first Maylene and The Sons of Disaster CD okay. It wasn't great but wasn't awful either. Their output since the debut has been laughable, though (especially the latest one).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:50 am 

It's obviously personal preference, but I've always been more forgiving for the Sons of Dozer than the KIAs of other genres. Maybe because a generic Dozer retread is still playing rock, which provides an immediate reaction, whereas the Rosettas of the world operate on a more cerebral level. Or maybe I'm just overthinking this, because it's a slow day at work.

Edit: I'm siding with heavythisaxe on Maylene. The one I heard was awful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:10 pm 

Lurker Dave wrote:
I listened to a few Queen Elephantine CDs that were really bad. They jump out at me. Witch's second album sucked too.

Good call on Witch. I remember hearing "Eye" early and getting really excited for the album because that track was great. I kept waiting for a good song to follow and it never came. Such a horrible disappointment, especially after the flawlessness of the first album. The drop in quality between those two albums is incredible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:23 pm 

Arzgarth wrote:
Karl Hungus wrote:
yessir

and I have to say, there hasnt been, nor do I want to hear, anything worthwhile that has that distinct 'Isis sound', and I dug me some Isis. Maybe I missed the boat, but you would think some band would latch onto that sound and run with it now that they're out of the game.

I heard a bunch of Isis-type bands during my reign. None really eclipsed what Isis was doing on Oceanic and Panopticon but, like the various Swedish stoner bands, what they were doing they were doing well enough. For the more discerning tastes, such as yours, that'd still be a deal breaker, but I didn't mind revisiting the choice clones after the review was published and I was slogging through the next batch of loser rock.

Cult of Luna is better than latter-day Isis, this is a scientific fact.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:31 pm 

Bullio wrote:
Lurker Dave wrote:
I listened to a few Queen Elephantine CDs that were really bad. They jump out at me. Witch's second album sucked too.

Good call on Witch. I remember hearing "Eye" early and getting really excited for the album because that track was great. I kept waiting for a good song to follow and it never came. Such a horrible disappointment, especially after the flawlessness of the first album. The drop in quality between those two albums is incredible.

yeah i meant witch not witchcraft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:34 pm 

MILLION MAN wrote:
Arzgarth wrote:
Karl Hungus wrote:
yessir

and I have to say, there hasnt been, nor do I want to hear, anything worthwhile that has that distinct 'Isis sound', and I dug me some Isis. Maybe I missed the boat, but you would think some band would latch onto that sound and run with it now that they're out of the game.

I heard a bunch of Isis-type bands during my reign. None really eclipsed what Isis was doing on Oceanic and Panopticon but, like the various Swedish stoner bands, what they were doing they were doing well enough. For the more discerning tastes, such as yours, that'd still be a deal breaker, but I didn't mind revisiting the choice clones after the review was published and I was slogging through the next batch of loser rock.

Cult of Luna is better than latter-day Isis, this is a scientific fact.

+1 re: Cult of Luna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:35 pm 

Bongzilla wrote:
I remember Nebula getting burned, it was by some fuckbuckles called Ammonia Booking, who continued to promote and spam shows with impunity. The excuses were awesome: "AINT MY FALT ONLY TEN PEOPLE SHOWED. AM SUPOSED 2 PAY THEM FROM MY OWN MONEY LOL"

The problem is a lot of people calling themselves a “promoter” are not intelligent enough to even know what that word means. The best promoters are musicians who get it. They book complimentary local and touring bands, make sure their shows get press, Facebook/twitter constantly, get intriguing artists involved to do posters or what have you. The worst are degenerates and hanger-ons who incorrectly believe there’s money to be made from music and that it should rightfully be theirs.

Outside of congress there is no more despicable a gallery of human malfeasance than the music industry bottom feeders.

Bottom line: If you own a bar--or are promoting at said bar--and can’t get 10 people to show up on ANY given night, the onus is on you. You serve fucking liquor… people will stab their moms for the shit and you can’t get 10 people to put up with a band they’ve never heard of for 40 minutes? What the fuck are you doing wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:37 pm 

MILLION MAN wrote:
Bongzilla wrote:
I remember Nebula getting burned, it was by some fuckbuckles called Ammonia Booking, who continued to promote and spam shows with impunity. The excuses were awesome: "AINT MY FALT ONLY TEN PEOPLE SHOWED. AM SUPOSED 2 PAY THEM FROM MY OWN MONEY LOL"

The problem is a lot of people calling themselves a “promoter” are not intelligent enough to even know what that word means. The best promoters are musicians who get it. They book complimentary local and touring bands, make sure their shows get press, Facebook/twitter constantly, get intriguing artists involved to do posters or what have you. The worst are degenerates and hanger-ons who incorrectly believe there’s money to be made from music and that it should rightfully be theirs.

Outside of congress there is no more despicable a gallery of human malfeasance than the music industry bottom feeders.

Bottom line: If you own a bar--or are promoting at said bar--and can’t get 10 people to show up on ANY given night, the onus is on you. You serve fucking liquor… people will stab their moms for the shit and you can’t get 10 people to put up with a band they’ve never heard of for 40 minutes? What the fuck are you doing wrong?

fucking a man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:01 pm 

I gotta say Artimus Pyledriver was always a fun time to encounter live.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:05 pm 

gatorsnot wrote:

a lot of SR bands that put out shitty albums were half way decent live. they still put out shitty albums. point in fact, Dozer are one of the best live bands I've seen from the genre, but none of their albums really do it for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:09 pm 

About time we had a thread like this! I'm typically not a hater--I think hardworking bands deserve some respect just for taking the risk--but you get to a certain point where it's time to whittle down the number of bands in your inbox. Some things are just too bland. It's not even about level of suckage--that shitty Youtube phenomenon Complete (and their breakthrough hit "Hoogie-Boogie Land") is at least shitty enough to entertain. Hell, someone mentioned "Big Bikes" by Kyuss. That's total shit, but it's so heinous it carries with it a sort of "not a fuck was given" attitude that's fun.

I'll add "I Love You" by Natas--it's like high Kyuss parody.

As for mentions of Fu Manchu and Monster Magnet? Don't just throw out random band names to rock the boat. As deep in the shit both of those bands have been during their career, "In Search of..." boasts some fantastic production, and "Spine of God" is aesthetically, musically, lyrically one of the best stoner rock albums of all time. Hate on someone like Fireball Ministry. They're like the Boston of stoner rock.

But really Hungus nailed it with Sea of Green.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:09 pm 

/ez wrote:
gatorsnot wrote:

a lot of SR bands that put out shitty albums were half way decent live. they still put out shitty albums. point in fact, Dozer are one of the best live bands I've seen from the genre, but none of their albums really do it for me.

Is there a solid Dozer live album or bootleg that does them justice?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:14 pm 

Mondo Generator - A Drug Problem That Never Existed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:20 pm 

Arzgarth wrote:
Stoner Kings were pretty awful, if I remember correctly.

I got that album, first track is good and then the rest of the album is terrible, generic stoner stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:22 pm 

ColtonBurpo wrote:
About time we had a thread like this! I'm typically not a hater--I think hardworking bands deserve some respect just for taking the risk--but you get to a certain point where it's time to whittle down the number of bands in your inbox. Some things are just too bland. It's not even about level of suckage--that shitty Youtube phenomenon Complete (and their breakthrough hit "Hoogie-Boogie Land") is at least shitty enough to entertain. Hell, someone mentioned "Big Bikes" by Kyuss. That's total shit, but it's so heinous it carries with it a sort of "not a fuck was given" attitude that's fun.

I'll add "I Love You" by Natas--it's like high Kyuss parody.

As for mentions of Fu Manchu and Monster Magnet? Don't just throw out random band names to rock the boat. As deep in the shit both of those bands have been during their career, "In Search of..." boasts some fantastic production, and "Spine of God" is aesthetically, musically, lyrically one of the best stoner rock albums of all time. Hate on someone like Fireball Ministry. They're like the Boston of stoner rock.

But really Hungus nailed it with Sea of Green.

Yeah I was going to say Fireball Ministry, their early stuff was OK but their last album sucked.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:33 pm 

MILLION MAN, dead on sir, dead on.

Many, many "stoner" bands' albums are great for insomnia but onstage delivery keeps 'em going. I know Foghat and ZZ Top were awesome--I'm old enough to know this firsthand--but if your records sound like them, with the same riffs, same pentatonic hard rock/blues runs, in 2011? I'm not gonna be able to make it through the third track. I'll come see you play a show though, abso-fucking-lutely. If you're gonna use generic, worn-out, decades-old riffs you'd better stomp that ass onstage...(and many do)

The Pelicult of Neurisis...man that sound inundated every city there for a while (2006-ish?). Another example of oversaturation, but it appears to have died down...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:37 pm 

electric wizard - come my fanatics
electric wizard - dopethrone
electric wizard - let us prey
electric wizard - black masses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:38 pm 

ColtonBurpo wrote:
/ez wrote:
gatorsnot wrote:

Is there a solid Dozer live album or bootleg that does them justice?

not that I know of. maybe a Roadburn stream.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:30 pm 

Volume wrote:
Arzgarth wrote:
Stoner Kings were pretty awful, if I remember correctly.

They're right up there for sure.

The singer will clothesline you for giving him shit.

Along with the Kings, I'll nominate Wolfmother, Pelican, and Cult of Luna.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:31 pm 

doomborn wrote:

And you call yourself "doomborn." Disgraceful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:33 pm 

doomborn wrote:

thats not even right

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:37 pm 

check his threads/music recommendations and I think you'll understand. Either that or just a troll reply

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:40 pm 

I guess he thinks "Witchcult today" is ok though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:41 pm 

Stoner Kings = not too far removed from this:

(little band from Ohio called Slitherbang, fka Dark War)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 6   [ 131 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next