Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Old Kustom amplifiers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:15 pm 

Does anyone have experience with these? Nice vintage solid state amps, made famous by Creedence Clearwater Revival. Nice sparkling cleans, road worthy design because of the tuck and roll foam design, and reliable. The reverbs, tremolos and vibratos all are awesome. Does anyone know anything about the various models, and the current pricing? I would like a combo if possible, definitely a solid state, not one of the newer tube models, and I would prefer a 2x12 with the power to keep up with a Fender Twin Reverb.

Post subject: Re: Old Kustom amplifiers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:29 am 

Not alot of combos in the Kustom line except for the SC series. You'd want to look at a Model 2-12A SC which had the Altec-Lansings, or the Model 2-12J SC which came with Jensens if you really want a combo. According to Wiki, Fogerty used K200 A4s and B5s. I have recently seen one of the SC amps in a local store. It was a single speaker model and went fairly quickly @ $350. It was in very good shape with the original amp cover though. Honestly, unless you're totally into owning one for the whole vibe of owning a Kustom, there are plenty of other solid state amps out there that sound as good or better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:14 am 

Ranbat wrote:
Not alot of combos in the Kustom line except for the SC series. You'd want to look at a Model 2-12A SC which had the Altec-Lansings, or the Model 2-12J SC which came with Jensens if you really want a combo. According to Wiki, Fogerty used K200 A4s and B5s. I have recently seen one of the SC amps in a local store. It was a single speaker model and went fairly quickly @ $350. It was in very good shape with the original amp cover though. Honestly, unless you're totally into owning one for the whole vibe of owning a Kustom, there are plenty of other solid state amps out there that sound as good or better.

Can you give suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:38 pm 

Sure. What style of music are you looking to play and are you particular about country of manufacture?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:45 am 

I am looking to play my own style of music. I like clean tones without the mush and natural distortion of tubes, and I like a good spring reverb. Country of origin is completely irrelevant, as is price.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:03 pm 

You're really looking for the JC120, Dingy. It does everything you say you want.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:06 pm 

I think SunnO))) is right. Other than that I would look at some of the modern stuff by Line 6. Lots of good cleans available in their amps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:16 pm 

Anapa wrote:
Does anyone have experience with these? Nice vintage solid state amps, made famous by Creedence Clearwater Revival. Nice sparkling cleans, road worthy design because of the tuck and roll foam design, and reliable. The reverbs, tremolos and vibratos all are awesome. Does anyone know anything about the various models, and the current pricing? I would like a combo if possible, definitely a solid state, not one of the newer tube models, and I would prefer a 2x12 with the power to keep up with a Fender Twin Reverb.

I have a Kustom 200 PA head. I traded an Ampeg guitar head for it. It sounds amazing for clean guitar. The reverb is very warm and vintage-sounding. It's got 4 channels, so I can run multiple guitars through it. Plus the gold-sparkle tuck-and-roll is nice to look at.

I used to have a Kustom III Lead head. It was one of the late 70's models with tolex instead of padded naugahyde. But it had a warm, classic sound - nice tremolo, reverb and a bluesy overdrive.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:18 pm 

I used to have a 60s tuck-n-roll frankenstein head, which sounded great, but not quite loud enough at 100 solid state watts.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]