Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Steve Jobs dead at 56
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:44 pm 

What do the stupid things I have done, am doing and will do have to do with the fact that Steve Jobs' beloved Apple uses Chinese slave labor to make its nifty toys?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/02/theater/mike-daisey-discusses-the-agony-and-ecstasy-of-steve-jobs.html?_r=1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:14 pm 

You're awesome. Steve Jobs sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:16 pm 

What if I think Steve Jobs was a capitalist shitbag, AND I'm posting on the internet!!1!!?!?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:16 pm 

I AM THE TABLE.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:18 pm 

You are the table, for the table has become you.

You are.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:22 pm 

Flesh, my point is, Whatever shit you're posting here with was made in the same way. Read the article you just posted.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:32 pm 

Do you mean this part?

Quote:
Q. Have you softened the show because it might feel callous to criticize a man who has serious health problems?

A. The idea that [Mr. Jobs] could pass away is a tremendous distraction from the really essential story. To be truthful, it’s difficult to know that we are so hungry to be distracted from the unfortunate and uncomfortable situation we’ve created for ourselves with China, with our labor, with all of our manufacturing, that we will grasp at whatever it takes to not talk about it.

Q. Did conditions in these factories surprise you?

A. I’d expected conditions to be bad, to be worse than I’d ever experienced, and I’ve lived a relatively comfortable life. What was shocking to me was the level of dehumanization built into the systems that have been put into place by American corporations in collusion with suppliers.

Q. Many Americans resent that China is “stealing” our manufacturing jobs. What do you think about those concerns now that you have experienced firsthand what some manufacturing conditions are like?

A. Let’s be clear. The manufacturing jobs are the way they that they are because we’ve chosen to collude with a fascist country, to strip away the labor conditions that so many thousands fought and died for to make possible. It’s not a function of manufacturing. They’re a function of our decision to strip away essential human rights.

Or do you mean this part?

Quote:
Q. Have you bought any new Apple products since putting together this show?

A. I haven’t. I can’t undo the truth, and so I find myself making do with the devices that I have.

There’s a hunger in very controlling companies like Apple to create planned obsolescences sooner rather than later, so it will become more and more difficult to stay functional. As a consequence I’m going to have to make some decisions in time.

Q. But I take it you still own Apple products you had bought before researching this show.

A. If I throw them away, I’ll just have to find another device made the same way in order to continue being in conversation with people. Like right now we’re both talking over the telephone, the guts of which were probably made in Shenzhen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:45 am 

I have seen some ridicule Zen Buddhism on these boards. This man was a Zen Buddhist. Learn his true story.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:45 am 

I don't completely buy into what mike daisy is selling. He's an entertainer that thrives on controversy. Strangely enough he doesn't touch on China's role and responsibility in all this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:06 am 

gatorsnot wrote:
I don't completely buy into what mike daisy is selling. He's an entertainer that thrives on controversy. Strangely enough he doesn't touch on China's role and responsibility in all this.

What about the United State's role in China's problems? You are aware that all of the solar and wind technology that is advocated as clean energy requires the mining of rare earth elements in China, that is actually polluting their atmosphere? They have called for a stop to it, and said they will not export these things to the United States anymore at the volumes that we demand, as their children are dying in mines every day from the toxins. This is why you are seeing a rise in the cost of things such as the energy saving light bulbs. Luckily, LED technology is on the rise, but when will that also be problematic to the environment?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:25 am 

Fair enough, I didn't mean to imply the US is squeaky clean. But in a comparison of human rights I'll take the US hands down. Lets not get off on a tangent here though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:30 am 

gatorsnot wrote:
Fair enough, I didn't mean to imply the US is squeaky clean. But in a comparison of human rights I'll take the US hands down. Lets not get off on a tangent here though.

Agreed on some point, but based on current events, I am not sure I can get behind in backing the United State's stance on human rights. Transgendered individuals being chained to toilets in solitary confinement in NYC does not qualify as treating someone humanely, in my book anyways. As you said though, let's not get off on a tangent, let us get back on topic. I believe that Steve Jobs did a lot of positive things in the world, with the time that he was given.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/06/the-zen-of-steve-jobs/?hpt=hp_c2

You are all the Zen Masters you are looking for, if you find it in your heart to just be here, now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:43 am 

Gatorsnot- He refers to China as a fascist country. Seems a pretty strong indicator of his thoughts on the issue.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:54 am 

StuimpyJoe wrote:
Flesh, my point is, Whatever shit you're posting here with was made in the same way. Read the article you just posted.

And, my earlier point was, this in no way invalidates his point. Logic 101--a hypocrite can still be correct while being a hypocrite. The messenger does not invalidate the message, regardless how large the beam in his eye is. I can tell you cigarettes cause cancer so you shouldn't smoke, but still choose to smoke them. They will still cause cancer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:31 am 

my dad didn't even know who he was when I went downstairs to tell them. my mom said he went quick, she wants an ipad. about iPhone, oh it's a phone, iPod, and internet in one. wow. 2007. I remember Bridget showing me her phone in '05 having internet on it. and I remember computer games back in the '80s, what else did anyone have a computer for? macintosh was like colleco or texas instrument. and teams of people are making your camera phones crisper and sharper, your retina display. don't give one guy all the credit. wow it stores 1000 songs, cool, only works with apple products. how many gigs are the new flashdrives I could buy, they work on anything. your exclusivity sickness never worked on me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:11 pm 

Shitbag "reporter". He still maintains what he wrote was true. It's like what Sarah Palin does.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/ame ... 38428.html

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2