Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Milligram, Kyuss Lives Worcester Palladium, 9/20/2011
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:08 am 

Caught the tail end of Monstro. One song was Torche-esque, with big, bombastic riffs and big, bombastic vocals. One song was late 90s, early 00s weak sauce Alice in Chains. Last song was a bit of both.

Milligram was awesome, even without "Let's Kill" in the setlist. They opened with "My Own Private Altamont," and gradually built up speed and intensity as their set went on. Good mix of stuff from all the albums, even without "Let's Kill" in the setlist.

The Sword apparently has been on the road for the last couple of years. Good for them. Not much of a difference with the new drummer, but they were a little looser on stage than from what I remember of the albums. Not bad, but their whole set was sort of one note. My crappy analogy was that they were like having a meal of nothing but dinner rolls. I like dinner rolls, but not that many and not with anything else. Their whitebread riff rock brings out some meathead fans, that's for sure. The highlight was the shirtless guy and gal slamming and rubbing into each other up by the bar. It was a combination of Ultimate Fighting and Tender Mercies and all around weird.

And hey, Kyuss Lives! All the hits, all the killer, and none of the filler. Well, no "Spaceship Landing" or "Fatso Forgetso" but given that Mr. Oliveri didn't freak out and assault anyone on stage, I'd say it was a set without complaint. Garcia's voice was top notch and the new guy on guitar held his own. The whole place was pretty amped to see these guys.

Post subject: Re: Milligram, Kyuss Lives Worcester Palladium, 9/20/2011
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:23 am 

How long of a set did each band play?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:28 am 

Somewhere between 30 - 45 minutes for Monstro and Milligram, an hour for The Sword, and maybe an hour and a half, two hours for Kyuss Lives? The Sword's set was the only one that felt long, due to their dinner roll like consistency.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:42 am 

Thanks. Trying to figure out what time to leave my house to see Kyuss and avoid seeing The Sword. Seen them play a few times so skipping their set won't be any loss to me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:28 am 

thanks arz. "let's kill" was actually in the set list to begin with but was axed. kyuss lives really were awesome, they sounded great, and just being able to watch brant play drums was a joy. nick was in really good spirits, all the guys were very cool to hang out with. i feel incredibly fortunate having been able to play with them. if you get a chance to see them, do it. you won't be disappointed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:58 pm 

Monstro won me over after a couple songs. Decibel review I read recently compared them to Cactus. What the fuck is that about? I'd hate to think that being into the big riff and having a guitar solo or two automatically gets you labeled as "retro" or "stoner", but maybe it does to people who usually only listen to grind. At any rate, they did sound a lot like "Torche with another singer". I find that the dude sounds closer to Chris Cornell or possibly the dude from Black Betty. Very energetic, they seemed to be really putting everything into it. Hope they capture some hearts and minds where it counts in the quasi mainstream, aka "high school and college kids".

Milligram I'd never had the pleasure of seeing, so this was good for me. You got to love "Let's Pretend We Don't Know Each Other". It seemed good for everybody else, too, although there seemed to be a "Class War" section and a "Hello Motherfucker" section to the crowd. Got a shirt off Daryl and Jonah after the show, and for fifteen bucks less than the rest of the bands. I know they got to pay for the tour or whatever, but Christ, who's buying $25 Sword tees?

The Sword were actually better than the last time I saw them...I think they were more in the groove, and the big stages have given them a confidence and swagger that was missing before. Still a little "samey" for me, but good for a half hour or so.

Kyuss ruled, regardless of who and what and where. "The Guy" was a decent Homme, although I got the feeling he was more of a conventional guitarist trying to play "weird"...it's a hard style to get perfect. Garcia seemed really on point, voice was still good. They were a little too over the top loud in the way that you hear that whistling sound over the bass, but was I going to tell Oliveri that? Motherfucker would beat me and threaten me with guns. Then flush my head down the toilet like some bad drugs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:34 pm 

Curious as to what was on the merch table for kyuss..shirt designs?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:59 pm 

These are the shirts they had:
http://www.shopbenchmark.com/kyusslives/
I got the gray one. Cities listed on back.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]