Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 51 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Dunwich amps - 'The Wizard' model
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:04 pm 

You may have heard of these, or maybe not, but this is one very interesting custom amp if you love very heavy/fuzzed orange/matamp tone.

http://dunwichamps.com/The_Wizard.html

Post subject: Re: Dunwich amps - 'The Wizard' model
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:59 pm 

Whoa! Sounds freakin killer. I wonder what the price is on one of those babies?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:08 am 

Thanks for the recommendation. I did an article/interview with Nicholas Williams about his company. Here it is…

Check out Dunwich Amps…

An interview and demo with Dunwich Amplifier’s founder and builder Nicholas Williams

Written by Ian Gerber for The Soda Shop

As the music industry continues to ignore and abandon fans of real music, it is no wonder that the underground continues to grow. If you haven’t noticed, “Stoner Rock” is growing in popularity. As more and more stoner and doom band’s popularity grows, so does the base of musicians who want to try to their hands at playing the fuzzed out, down-tuned riffs that we have all grown to love. This poses a problem to to the average, broke, stoner/doom riffmeister. The days of snatching up a “cheap” vintage Sunn or Matamp amplifier to wail on are long gone. These amps were originally used by bands because they were loud and affordable. As more people noticed the monolithic rigs of their new found guitar and bass heros, and with the rise of Ebay, these amps that were once considered second rate and undesirable quickly rose in price and became harder and harder to find. It is no surprise that the underground, or boutique, magicians of electrical circuit morphing have noticed the need and desire for gizmos and gadgets to replicate the sound of Matt Pike’s Sleep era amp rig and have started produce pedals to help achieve the trademark of the doom sound…loud as fuck distortion. However, it takes more than just a pedal to get the right sound and it is a lot harder to find an amp builder who know who the hell Matt Pike is and is also willing to build an amp that replicates the sound of his mountain of vintage Green amplifiers than cruising Youtube and Ebay for the right handmade stompbox. There just aren’t a lot of people who are willing to take on the task. With that being said, it’s time to introduce you to Nicholas Williams. Nicholas has a lot in common with the guys who write and perform the riffs that we have all thrown our necks out to while raising the horns. He loves a good riff. He wants it played LOUD. He spends his time toiling in obscurity. He has a day gig. He also takes full advantage of the modern day marvel that we call the internet to help reach people that would have otherwise not had access to the fruit of his labor. Rarely do the guys who make the equipment that make our beloved doom and stoner riffs a reality get the credit they deserve. Nicholas Williams is one of the bearded brethren and it is time to become acquainted with his company Dunwich Amplifiers and the sonic behemoth which he calls “The Wizard”.

Dunwich Amplifiers “The Wizard” Demo…

Mr. Williams was gracious enough to take time away from the mountain of amps that need built or repaired staring him down to answer some questions about his company and amplifiers.

IG: What made you want to start building amps?

NW: When I was in high school I was cycling through a number of different amps trying to find one that gave me the tone I was looking for. At the time I was really into a heavy, chuggy, tight metal tone, somewhere in between thrash and metalcore. I played through a bunch of amps (Peavey 5150/6505s, Marshall TSLs, ENGLs, ect ect) but nothing really gave me the type of distortion that I wanted. At one point, I saved up over $2000 to buy a used Framus Cobra head, but after about a month or so I thought it sounded like shit, akin to a mosquito swarm flying out of the speakers. I traded that for a VHT 50CL (now called Fryette Amps) and I really liked the sound of that amp at the time. However, I was not satisfied enough with the sound so I started looking into building amps to find my tone as an alternative to buying amps. I always had an interest in electronics, especially sound systems, and speakers so it was a natural extension of that.

As I began to research into building my own tube amp, I started my freshman year of college at UCONN to get my BS in Electrical Engineering. This provided me with a technical background on amplifiers (albeit solid state designs) and electronics. I setup a small shop in my dorm room and built a kit amp from AX84.com, an EL34 singled ended head with a hot-rodded 2203 (JCM 800) style preamp. That amp has a pretty heavy sound for such a small and simple package. However, since this was my first build I did not quite have the experience and knowledge about tube amp design to really get the kind of sound I wanted. The second amp I built, I took parts of a Soldano SLO-100 and an ENGL Powerball and mixed those together to make a 2 channel, 100W head which sounded okay. I got distracted by school when the build was about 75% complete and never finished it. To this day is it still lacks a wooden headshell and faceplates but I play it from time to time. I think the reasons I never liked this amp was due to the fact that my taste in music and tone had really changed since the high school days of nonstop Pantera, Slayer, and Metallica. I transitioned away from really fast, chuggy metal into the stoner/sludge/doom scene and this had a strong effect on the tone I wanted. Given this, I started coming up with a design on a modded OR120 (see below) and that was the beginning of the stoner/doom esque amps.

Once I built enough amps for myself, my friends started to take notice and began to ask if I could build some custom stuff. The idea of making a small amp company started when a friend ordered a custom Sunn bass amp and from there it has grown into something larger but not too large. In order to get some business I decided to go a little more legit with a name and a website. The business has mostly been fueled by YouTube videos and word of mouth in gear forums on Harmony Central, and on Facebook. I run the website and YouTube account by myself (excuse the bad website design) to keep costs low.

IG: Do you consider this a hobby or do you plan on making a career out of this?

NW: It is in between a hobby and a full on business. I am currently getting my Ph.D in Electrical Engineering at UCONN so there is no way I could go full time into amp building without dropping out of school. Besides that, I could not financially support myself with the money from each amp. I have tried to focus on providing musicians with quality, custom amp builds at a reasonable prices without any bullshit. I have about a 2 to 2.5 month turnaround times on each amp build so the labor costs are lower than if I was going at it full time.

IG: Why do you call your company Dunwich?

NW: For two reasons: 1. It has a nice, Britishy ring to it and that is an ode to all of the great British amp companies, and 2. At the time when I came up with the name I was heavily into the latest Electric Wizard release (Witchcult Today) and I borrow/stole the name Dunwich from their song with the same title. I was oblivious to the Lovecraft reference till afterwards when a friend mentioned it to me.

IG: What led you to build amps like “The Wizard”?

NW: I built a clone of a 70s Orange OR120 using a kit from Ted Weber (6O100) and modded it to have another gain stage (more clipping). It had a really heavy, foggy, doomy tone but it was such a tight, cramped build that I was not happy with the overall outcome. I decided to strip it down and build it to stock OR120 specs and sold it off on Ebay. I sort of miss that amp but I am glad it helped motivate me to make a better doomy sounding amp. I took the design from the modded OR120 and remade it into The Wizard which is a mix of a hot rodded and tweaked Orange/Matamp type preamp but with a power amp you might find in a Marshall Superbass using KT88s. The built in effects were a suggestion of a friend who asked me if it possible to do it inside of the amp instead of running a FX loop out into outboard pedals.

Another personal motivation to build The Wizard specifically was to jump start my own songwriting. I always wanted to be in a doom/stoner/sludge band but there was absolutely no scene in CT when I was in high school. By the time I was in college I was extremely busy and any idea of being in a band was killed. I have some songs and riffs leftover from that time that I would love to record using The Wizard. However, I am currently so busy with building amps for other people, researching for my Ph.D and finding time for my girlfriend that I still don’t really have time to record a song. Maybe when I get a hot second I might try to record a few clips. We will see.

IG: Is it a reference to the mighty Electric Wizard?

NW: Not consciously. It is more of a reference to the general idea rather than to Electric Wizard. I originally envisioned the amp to have a really evil looking, decrepit wizard on the front panel but I could not get anyone to make the graphics so I dropped the idea.

IG: Do you plan on making more amps directed at Stoner/Doom musicians?

NW: Yes. Besides The Wizard, I have another amp which could be perfect for a stoner/doom player who wants to stick to only pedal clipping rather than heavy amp clipping. It is called The Metropolitan, and there are some details up on my website. I came up with the idea for this amp after building a clone of a Sunn 200S for a local bass player. That amp was extremely clean with headroom for days and it sounded great when I slammed a fuzz pedal in front of it. The Metropolitan is sort of a take on the Sunn but with a whole different kind of preamp that has a pseudo-2 channel setup akin to a Marshall Plexi. I am in the process of building one now so I will have a demo up when that is finished.

I also have a vintage-esque Wizard with no master volume and a lot less amp clipping in the works for a guitarist who likes to use a pedal. The Wizard as shown in the video is not great for pedals because it has so much gain on tap that adding more on the front end drives it into blocking distortion (ugly, farty clipping) so I would not recommend it for someone who uses distortion or OD pedals.

Finally, I am looking into developing 200W and 300W versions of all of my head designs for the guitarist who wants that kind of over the top power. It is just a matter of getting a reasonable cost for transformers to handle that kind of power.I am also willing to build any custom idea a guitarist might dream up.

IG: What is your personal dream rig?

NW: I wish I could say The Wizard is my dream amp but there are still things I want to tweak and test on the amp. Maybe I will never be truly satisfied with any one specific amp. I sort of seem to have the motto that satisfaction is the death of desire and that not being completely happy helps me to develop better amp designs.

If I had to pin it down to something specific I might say a stereo rig with a Wizard full stack on one side and a 200W Metropolitan full stack on the other side. I have a few fuzz pedals in my gear bag (Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh and LSTR, as well as a homebrew Ge FuzzFace) which I could put in front of the Metropolitan. I think that a mix of The Wizard (which has tons of amp clipping) with The Metropolitan (which is all pedal clipping) would give me the heaviest tone possible. However, I doubt I could justify buying two more 4×12 cabinets as I do not even play in a band. I recently picked up a Gibson LP Standard + and it is a great sounding guitar. I would like to build a baritone Flying V with custom wound P90s also.

IG: Are there any bands playing your amps now? Where can we find their music?

NW: Currently, there are no bands who are playing my gear, just some solo users (mostly friends) who are using my stuff. However, soon I should be getting some gear into the hands of a couple bands so stay tuned.

IG: Who are your favorite bands? Albums?

NW: That is somewhat of a difficult question because they change over time. If I stick to just doom/stoner/sludge then some of my favorite albums are NOLA by Down, Vampire Circus by Earthride, Variations on a Theme by OM, In the Name of Suffering by Eyehategod, Come My Fanatics by Electric Wizard, In Return by Torche, God Luck and Good Speed by Weedeater, Dopesmoker by Sleep, and Masters of Reality by Black Sabbath. I guess this list could go on for a while so I will cut it there. I also like a lot of other heavy stuff, like Swedish melo-deth and thrash.

IG: If you could choose a band or two to tour with your amps, who?

NW: Electric Wizard even though I doubt Jus Osborn would ever leave his Sound City heads for one of my amps and Sleep. For the same reason, I also doubt Matt Pike would stop using Soldano or Matamp/Electric Amps for a Wizard.

IG: If someone is interested in buying one of your amps, how would they go about getting one?

NW: Send me an email at dunwichamps@gmail.com and we can discuss you amp idea. I send out personalized quotes detailing all the costs and all the designs shown on the website can be tweaked to each individual customer. Finally, I would like to thank Ian for the interview. I really appreciate the help in spreading my name out there and digging my shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:13 pm 

Badass!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:48 am 

fucking sweet, i want one ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:43 pm 

Whoa, that thing is terrorizing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:21 am 

seems silly to build an amp to try and replicate Jus's sound through his sound city's, when those are so affordable.
but to a public that doesnt realize that tuning the same, playing the same guitar, and amp will not make you sound like "player x"... it doesn't matter i guess. plus onboard effects? meh.

I'm starting the trend of up-tuning (to g#, or something crazy) and playing through solid state amps now. it'll be like a mandolin through a drive thru speaker. I will be legendary!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:37 am 

Way to jump to conclusions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:17 pm 

What is this, a sales pitch? I hoped this forum would be free of this kind of crap (not your interview, I thought that was well done).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:04 pm 

There are amps made especially for Heavy Metal, why not Stoner Metal? I don't see a sales pitch. Just some good information and press for someone doing good work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:31 pm 

Call me paranoid, but when someone's only post is a link to something for sale I tend to get suspicious. It also irritates me that people think they need a specific amplifier to play this kind of music.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:48 pm 

Quote:
It also irritates me that people think they need a specific amplifier to play this kind of music

Now that is something I can agree with. I get many sideway glances when I A.) bring in my roadcase that I got from the jamband Moe. with their stencil still on it B.) Open it up and pull out my Matchless. It makes for some quick assumptions from a tough crowd. I of course crank it up and lay it down the best I can.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:25 pm 

There's no reason to get all obtuse and snotty about this.

1. He never says, anywhere in the article, that he designed the amp around copping Jus' tone. He clearly states it's a modded Matamp/Orange, with a more distorted front end. The name is just inspired by the stuff he likes.

2. Who thinks they need a specific amp to play this kind of music? What is "this" kind of music? And who are these people you're referring to, exactly? And why do you care what they think anyway? Your irritation sound like your own baggage, really.

That being said, it's not unreasonable to suggest that musicians search out specific gear in order to attain a specific sound. It happens in Country. It happens in Rock. The dude is making some nice looking gear - and it's affordable. Did you bother to email him to inquire about pricing? I did. You could get a brand new, custom built, point-to-point tube amp for less you'll find a 30 year old Soundcity, for example.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:21 pm 

I care because the stoner/doom scene is relatively free of the narrow-mindedness that plagues most genres of music, and it saddens me when the commercial aspect butts in. I have nothing against this amp builder personally; I'm sure he makes a fine product and I hope he does well. I just wish people would spend more time creating original, interesting music and less time obsessing about the names on their amps.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:12 pm 

I think you are imposing your insecurities onto someone else's hard work. I interviewed Nicholas because >I< wanted to, not because he asked for the promo. Yes, he made the video to sell amps, but that is what he does. Bands have to sell CDs, Nick has to sell amps. Get over it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:43 pm 

cusar5 wrote:
Call me paranoid, but when someone's only post is a link to something for sale I tend to get suspicious. It also irritates me that people think they need a specific amplifier to play this kind of music.

^^^That post was put up by an impartial member of this community. He goes way back. Nicholas is someone who he found out about and liked the tone of the amp.......pretty harmless.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:45 pm 

Quote:
I care because the stoner/doom scene is relatively free of the narrow-mindedness that plagues most genres of music...

You're kidding, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:41 pm 

cusar5 wrote:
I care because the stoner/doom scene is relatively free of the narrow-mindedness that plagues most genres of music, and it saddens me when the commercial aspect butts in. I have nothing against this amp builder personally; I'm sure he makes a fine product and I hope he does well. I just wish people would spend more time creating original, interesting music and less time obsessing about the names on their amps.

Your idealism is commendable, but completely removed from reality - and, I also think you're toeing the line just a wee on the extreme, unnecessarily. Chill out :) Have a smoke and a beer. And by the way, why don't you get off this forum and go create some original, interesting music ;)

Edit... I

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:04 pm 

BUTTPUSSY!

That amp sounds killer. Also, I don't really think a dude who makes amps at his house(or wherever) could really be considered "commercial".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:15 pm 

The dud ewho makes these amps is a solid dude. He made Mark from Blackarts a custom amp that apaprebntly came out pretty killer so far. I'm in the process of saving up for a Wizard myserlf. Super reasonable prices. Also has a pedal in the works.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:01 am 

Can you build cheap solid state combos that have an emphasis on high end and three spring reverbs? I do not really care for the tone of this amp, it is too generic sounding for my tastes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:58 pm 

cusar5 wrote:

You realize this is an extremely narrow minded post right? Commercial aspect? It's one dude, by himself building amps by hand. Nothing commerical about it. He happens to dig EW, but does this amp sound anything like a Sound City? If you say yes, then you might not have heard what a Sound City sounds like. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you're not making a single point that really makes any sense to the situation. watch the video, it's not an amp that is designed just for doom/sludge type stuff. It can pretty much handle anything you throw at it. Plus he will do complete custom builds. Looking to get a wizard from him and also a custom amp based off my 1968 Fender Bassman. He has some amps out there already and nothign but good things are said.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:38 pm 

As we speak Nicholas is making me a CUSTOM Wizard.
I've know this kid for years and he is a standup dude and is basically an electrical genius. He ain't trying to fuck anyone or whatever the negative shit that is flying his way.

He is one dude, making amps on his own. I will be posting soundclips of mine when I get it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:21 pm 

I would try a custom amp. I would like a solid state 2x12 combo with a really nice three spring reverb. Something like a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 would be great.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:26 pm 

Anapa wrote:
I would try a custom amp. I would like a solid state 2x12 combo with a really nice three spring reverb. Something like a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 would be great.

Hard to tell if you're just a troll or don't realize the builder isn't posting on this forum.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 51 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next