Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 11   [ 258 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Also, make with the death metal
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:18 pm 

OK, so I'm pretty uneducated on death metal; I'm pretty picky on it, but have found more bands over the last few years to make me think I need to explore it more. I haven't even heard some of the supposed classics. Have listened to, and enjoyed over the years (and yeah, some can't be classified as straight death metal):

Obituary
Bolt Thrower
Coffins
Autopsy
Entombed
Portal (a bit)
Impetuous Ritual

On the fringe:
Thorr's Hammer
Corrupted

And more recently:
Kerasphorus
Corpsessed
Necros Christos
Vasaeleth

Decided to check out Morbid Angel, which I had heard a few songs by...and the album Domination is kicking my ass right now, specifically 'Where The Slime Live'.

Boltthrow is even welcome to suggest anything that isn't half as bad as Six Feet Under.

Post subject: Re: Also, make with the death metal
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:35 pm 

Teitanblood
Proclamation
Autopsy (new one kills)
Miasmal
Maim
Archgoat
Argoslent
Astriaal
Blasphemy
Dead Congregation
Disentomb
Indesinence
Krypts (demo...hello)
Nightbringer
Unleashed
Vault Dweller
Ancestortooth
Vastum (votes out still here...)
Vorum

shit..didnt follow directions 100%. some are crossover/BM, alot are newer...ah well, but I see your list includes alot of non-death metal(?)... These are some of mine and they all kill

Last edited by Karl Hungus on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:42 pm 

Death
Meshuggah (I guess? I see them getting labeled death metal sometimes.)
Napalm Death (everything after and including Enemy of the Music Business)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:50 pm 

Thanks so far...Karl Hungus, I have Miasmal and Vault Dweller right now...have to re-visit. And I'll check out the other stuff.

Yeah, I'm not trying to get into the genre debate over this; I know some of those bands might fit another genre a bit better than death metal. It's just to give an indication of the type of vocals I like under than umbrella, for the most part.

I definitely have Napalm Death, just figured they're pretty much grindcore...but I totally dig 'em.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:02 am 

Death is the best one I've heard.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:40 am 

motherfucking Entombed!

check out Death Breath if you haven't already

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:05 am 

Okay dude, I can help you out here, but...what exactly are you looking for?
The old school classic stuff I really like is Possessed, Morbid Angel, Master, Repulsion, Carcass, Entombed, Dismember, Nihilist, Unleashed, General Surgery, Immolation, Incantation, Mortician, Exhumed, etc. You'll notice I like a lot of goregrind stuff too.

For stuff a little outside the norm, but still "classic" in my opinion, I really like Demilich, Embalmer, Imbroglio, Bodies Lay Broken, Seance, Convulsed, Tribulation, Hail Of Bullets, Grotesque, and Liers In Wait.

If you're into Autopsy and Coffins, I assume you're also in Winter? Because I loves me some Winter, and can't recommend them enough. Asphyx is also awesome. Also check out Hooded Menace and Druid Lord, who do the death/classic doom thing dead on.

If you haven't checked out Acid Witch, a lot of people on this forum really should...they mix up stoner/doom riffs, psychedelic effects and samples, and an over-the-top lyrical aesthetic packed into slimy fucking death vocals.

Dude, last suggestion, if you're digging Domination, you really should get Blessed Are The Sick, by Morbid Angel. That album was so raw, intense, evil, ugly, and ahead of its time, you're gonna flip your Whig.

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:48 am 

A bit technical but you might like obscura

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:10 am 

Nile should be the first technical death metal band to check out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:21 pm 

Some albums:

Behemoth - Zos Kia Cultus
Belphegor - Goatreich - Fleshcult
Helcaraxë - Broadsword
Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels
Hail of Bullets - ...of Frost and War
Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt
Hate Eternal - I, Monarch
Krisiun - Conquerors of Armageddon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:25 pm 

Nile is awesome for tech death, one of the few I listen to.

Behemoth is pretty straight forward blackened death. Dig it, but one of my favourites in that department, who are relatively unknown, are Black December. Filthy death/black riffs, sick female vocals, great atmosphere. Behemoth loses me a bit with the production at times.

Belphegor is another cool blackened death outfit, but their "goofiness" is going to turn some off. Fuck em, "Bondage Goat Zombie" rules.

Need to check out Arsis and Helcaraxe, where do they fit in the spectrum of things?

Seconded on the Hail Of Bullets and Hate Eternal.

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:32 pm 

Admittedly, Behemoth has been on a slide, but it all came together on Zos Kia Cultus, and without the goofy overprocessed vocals. Ditto with Belphegor--their new stuff is too campy for me, but Goatreich is pretty nasty.

Arsis is melodic death, razor sharp, bit of a Dissection influence. Helcaraxe is essentially Viking-era Unleashed, from New Jersey, but Broadsword is better than the recent Unleashed albums, IMO (which are still good/decent).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:38 pm 

doomborn wrote:
Athiest should be the first technical death metal band to check out.

Corrected.

Many great bands named this thread (especially the old school Swedish ones), some more: Bastard Priest, Tribulation, Interment, Incubus, Monstrosity, Abscess, Murder Squad, Grave, Deströyer 666, Necrophobic, Nirvana 2002, Repugnant, Bombs of Hades, Vicious Art, Torture Division.

Last edited by Kelprunk on Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:40 pm 

lukecubed wrote:
Admittedly, Behemoth has been on a slide, but it all came together on Zos Kia Cultus, and without the goofy overprocessed vocals. Ditto with Belphegor--their new stuff is too campy for me, but Goatreich is pretty nasty.

Arsis is melodic death, razor sharp, bit of a Dissection influence. Helcaraxe is essentially Viking-era Unleashed, from New Jersey, but Broadsword is better than the recent Unleashed albums, IMO (which are still good/decent).

That's cool, if it's going to be melo-death, I'd prefer Dissection's black/melo-death approach to In Flames as far as influences are concerned. Will check out.

Don't know if you know The Funeral Pyre, very similar in approach, from what I could sample of Arsis online.

I too prefer the early Unleashed albums, so I will check Helcaraxe as well. I dig that sound, Unleashed were godly in their prime.

And nice mention of Nirvana 2002, I love those demos, they almost rival Nihilist in my book. ALMOST.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:44 pm 

And for tech death, the new Origin - Entity is just about the perfect ratio of space-metal freakout and bring-the-mosh.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:47 pm 

lukecubed wrote:
And for tech death, the new Origin - Entity is just about the perfect ratio of space-metal freakout and bring-the-mosh.

Okay, is this worth my checking out?

I checked out their first album, and it was...fast. Almost a blur.

Saw them live, with Bongzilla none the less, around the same time, and it was...noise. A blur. Put me to sleep. It was a shame, because they were obviously very talented musicians when they were warming up, and I could discern what they were doing.

They are now one of the few bands, along with Misery Index, where I have literally fallen asleep during their live set. Very, very boring to these ears.

So, the question is...am I going to like this one? Is it worth my getting?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:51 pm 

Yeah, I hear your reactions. They're basically what they were, but now they slow down occasionally, toss in some sick grooves, and write actual songs. So, yeah, check the new one:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:00 pm 

That seems to be what they needed at the time, so those are the answers I wanted to hear. Will get it very soon, thanks for the recommend.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:18 pm 

These dudes can be dicks if you sign up and try to post, but there's some valuable info

http://reeelapse.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31640

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:28 pm 

Bongzilla wrote:
These dudes can be dicks if you sign up and try to post, but there's some valuable info

http://reeelapse.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31640

That's cool, I eat dicks for breakfast, probably sign up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm 

Get Napalm Death's Harmony Corruption. That album SLAYS. Mindfuck heavy riffs with deep low vocals. Released in their early years right after From Enslavement so it sounds fucking gnarly, produced by Scott Burns obviously. Pretty straight forward as well, more focus on the riffs than on technicality which is how I like my death metal.

Dinger, have you checked out the Projections of a Stained Mind comp? It's packed with Swedish death metal and Norse black metal demo versions of tracks by Dismember, Entombed, Nirvana 2002, Mayhem, Unleashed and so forth. More death than black. It's not for everyone but nonetheless awesome if you know the bands.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:24 pm 

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. Gonna get busy checking 'em out.

I had forgotten to mention Teitanblood, I really dig them. I seem to be more into the dirty, sludgier death metal sounds, as opposed to the tech stuff. I have a General Surgery album that's pretty decent. Remember liking some stuff by Master when I heard it.

As for Acid Witch...ugh. Didn't like it at all; cheesy as hell.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:48 pm 

I second getting Harmony Corruption. I love that album.

I don't have that comp, but yeah, I do know the bands, so I'll check it out. Big into Swedish DM.

Acid Witch is very, very cheesy, but I'm of the impression that good, over the top death metal should be fun as fuck, and cheesy as fuck, so I love them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:05 pm 

On page 2 and not one reference to either Ulcerate or Gigan...a pox on all your fucking houses...kidding aside, both bands offer interesting stylistic twists in the death realm that are definitely worth checking out...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:32 am 

Been on a Death Metal kick myself...I go strictly for what appeals to me, and since I have a taste for twisted sludge, which is B.A.'s milieu, I may be qualified to offer my opinion despite my generally thin grasp of the genre...

Atrocity: Longing For Death
Creepmime: Shadows
Krabathor: Cool Mortification
Afterlife: Surreality
Vital Remains: Let Us Pray

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 11   [ 258 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next