Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Killing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:58 am 

Start watching now, it is all online. It's a Wire-like murder mystery. Obviously not as good as that but it has 13 eps. drawn out over one murder and city. You get to know the characters, the mystery angle is entertaining as well, though fairly generic. 5 eps into it now and I'm sticking around to the end.

Post subject: Re: The Killing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:00 am 

Great show. It seems too easy to pinpoint the murder right now on the teacher. So I'm sure some curve ball will be thrown our way. I love Linden's partner. He's such a scumbag but in a good way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:38 am 

pales in comparison with the original.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:58 am 

I didn't bother with this because I saw the original a few month ago and its still a little too fresh. Cutting it down from 20 to 13 episodes might have been a good idea though because the original had a few twists and false leads too many for my taste. Still very good.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:51 am 

It's shit.

An empty frame-by-frame copy of an excellent original. It's like Van Sant's Psycho, only worse and even more pointless.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:55 am 

jmucke wrote:
I didn't bother with this because I saw the original a few month ago and its still a little too fresh. Cutting it down from 20 to 13 episodes might have been a good idea though because the original had a few twists and false leads too many for my taste. Still very good.

Holy crap. 20 episodes of this wank?!?!

I'm on the fourth one (On Demand - digital download for you Euro folk) and about ready to quit. It's okay, but comparing it the hard-boiled/reality benchmark (The Wire) this rates about a 5.5 so far. WAY too much wasted scenery, contrivances and plot-twists. Something good better happen before episode six or I'm out. Pretty weak as far as AMC series go.

Speaking of wasted scenery, maybe I'm partially grumpy because this is supposed to be in Seattle when 90% of the cityscapes they show are obviously Vancouver, BC. All of them without the Space Needle in them at least.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:50 pm 

yes, this went downhill FAST. Started well enough, and caught myself nodding off the past 2 weeks. I'm ready to jump off..

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:01 am 

My prior post was made after the ep where the entire show they spent following the teenage losers around turned out being a false lead. Yeah sure, the murdered gal's best friend just happens to dress up in the dead gal's costume, get gangbanged and film it on the same night of the murder. So fucking cheap, what a lame way to pad your show. The same goes for the blonde guy that is flip-flopping between mayoral campaigns. I mean, come on.

The next couple shows after the gangbang weren't as bad though. Still not great. Something interesting needs to come out of this teacher thread pretty soon. I think I'm still a show behind everyone else. Been watching this On Demand so far.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:52 pm 

bleh, this show is pretty lame now. I'm stick with it. It takes the easy way out and over explains everything now. wasted potential.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:14 am 

Holder is the man!!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:07 pm 

watched it yet again, and my problem is with the wasted episodes prior to when the most highly unlikely outcome of each suspect/suspicion arises. This is the most annoying of all plots..trying to remember the last movie/television show that just keeps doing it like this and the closest I got is M Night Shaymalan shitfests

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:27 am 

I got caught up on this last night, as in up to the latest ep. I've been draggin' a couple weeks behind for awhile. Generally ambivalent.

It's way better than average network TV, but it's a lot closer to 'CSI' than 'The Wire'. I still like a lot of the ideas behind it. The detective's kid leaking the crime scene photos to his friends was really pretty brilliant. The latest wrong lead is pretty interesting to see whether the father ends up killing Bennett or not (I can already see them leading us to his half-wit Polish buddy tagging along as the next suspect though). I also think depicting a victim's family (and their torture) in a high profile case like this, from start-to-finish, is a pretty interesting angle. There are things to like about the series.

Still, there really isn't enough to substantiate the amount of time they've devoted to this. Better writers or less overall time (like a six ep series, like the first season of Breaking Bad). Cutting out the mayoral race thread might have made this a decent b-movie. That the European version of this was 20 episodes boggles the mind. I'm sure it was better done overall, but all the false leads and contrivances is insulting to a viewer imo.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:59 pm 

The reason I threw the "The Wire" comparison out there was the political side of things and how it would focus more on several different classes in one city(and make that city distinctive) but all that has turned out generic and cliched as hell. It started out pretty good but now I don't even care. I'll keep watching though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:42 am 

It only took until the second to last episode to figure out who the killer is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:44 pm 

I want to punch this show in the cunt. It really boils my blood, because it could be a GREAT show but winds up, more often than not, being incredibly lame. I still watch every episode, but mostly to bitch about why it pisses me off. Unless they blow my fucking mind with the finale I'm sticking a fork in this dreary, rain-soaked bitch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:03 pm 

this^

Yeah, I have time invested so couldnt just stop watching, but I really dont enjoy it. Never a pay off, not alot of tension/buildup, unless you count the bongos that kick in the last 2 minutes of each episode.

When it ends, it ends..yawn..

and anyone that says they 'knew it all along' is full of shit, because the scriptwriters wouldnt allow it. They made every episode leading up to next week almost a complete waste of time with their all too obvious plot leads..then..they pull the carpet out the last sequence (pre bongos)

Now everything points at the mayoral doucehat Darrenwhatshisface or Tom the billionaire, it almost seems too painfully obvious that they're going to pull it out from under the viewers one last time. I just saw they even have an interactive suspect voting page. Lame. It's probably the mother or Jamie (the campaign manager)..the 2 least likely

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

MILLION MAN wrote:
I want to punch this show in the cunt. It really boils my blood, because it could be a GREAT show but winds up, more often than not, being incredibly lame. I still watch every episode, but mostly to bitch about why it pisses me off. Unless they blow my fucking mind with the finale I'm sticking a fork in this dreary, rain-soaked bitch.

Hear hear. Ditto Karl Hungus too. The episode before this last one, where it was just whatsherface chasing her lost kid the whole time, when you knew nothing had really happened to him, was a fucking waste. Why spend a whole season building up these other plotlines if you're just going to abandon them for an episode and pick it up the next week like nothing ever happened?

If this finale isn't the best shit in the world, I think I'll sit out season two. I guess AMC was due a clunker after Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead, but yeah, there's some real kinks to work out with this one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:03 am 

h.p. taskmaster wrote:
If this finale isn't the best shit in the world, I think I'll sit out season two. I guess AMC was due a clunker after Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead, but yeah, there's some real kinks to work out with this one.

eh, really? SEASON TWO??? I thought this whole charade was being marketed as a "mini-series". Damn, no way I'm aboard with a going concern here. Total hackery. I'm a couple eps behind the rest of you, but I'll stick them out just to see how it resolves. Even if it means watching it on closed caption while spinning EYEHATEGOD.

Pretty underwhelming show, outside of the actual cinematography/editing/etc... It does look like the PNW, which adds to the doom of it all, but I guess a lot of that can be attributed to the nature here as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:41 am 
Site Admin

Mr Red wrote:
...Even if it means watching it on closed caption while spinning EYEHATEGOD.

That might actually be a good way to go here. Also funny how AMC has been replaying the movie Seven (Se7en, or however it shows up in the Directv guide) too, as if to show how all the cinematography is pretty much lifted from David Fincher.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm 

Tried watching the pilot. You know how some of us, the bleeding hearts, get pissed when white America makes it a huge cryfest when one of their little princesses gets murdered, while thousands get butchered every year across the globe (especially the Third World) with no recognition except by their poor families? I usually don't give a fuck about all that, but the hand wringing and hemming and hawing about this kid's "especially brutal" and especially murderous murder on the show got my goat immediately. You know there's a lot of murders on the TV too. I guess it just doesn't mean anything anymore. We see bodies everyday, baby. Ask Boltthrow. I'm desensitized! It's not my fault!

And the fact that it was a "remake" of something...do we need the Danes to tell us how to draw up a murder mystery now? Maybe I should've kept watching, I heard it got kind of Twin Peaks weird. But I couldn't stand that grumpy, slovenly, glowering sub-Gillian Anderson girl shuffling around Seattle in her clam-stompin' boots any longer after like an hour or so. And those Acacia Strain-looking sinister skateboard kids...don't get me started!

I know "Justified" (which I love) is probably guilty of all the same sinful cliches, so I guess it's just different strokes for different folks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:39 am 

I finally got caught up on this, in time for the finale tomorrow. I made it through #10 in like 5 minutes on fast forward after I figured out what they were doing (the ep where Linden frantically searches for her kid the entire hour). Yikes this show sucks.

A couple of spoilers below, that are just beyond the pale:

1. So the slut aunt doesn't decide to go to the police right off the bat after the murder and tell the police that Rosie was working as a call girl? It's pretty easy to determine that it was probably a john that did this.

2. And also after all this time, the established slimeball mayor doesn't decide to leak photos of Richmond and a DEAD 17 YEAR OLD GIRL to the press?

So fucking lame, in both cases, but especially the second. These sort of surprise pop-up contrivances are a complete insult to the audience's collective intelligence. I'm about four episodes behind on Treme right now and I think I'm going to have to binge on that show over a couple evenings to (hopefully) wash the collective stink of this series off my brain.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:01 pm 

This sums up my feelings on the finale and the show in general. What an AIDS-festering piece of maggot-ridden hobo feces.

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/06/19/the-kil ... ale-recap/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:31 pm 

The show is so dumb and yet it treats the audience like they are idiots. Actually the plot absurdity is getting to a place where I can watch it and laugh at each new ridiculous "twist". Otherwise that was a total waste of time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:54 pm 

Yeah, I guess what irks me more than the bald-faced stupidity of the show was that it had AMC's enthusiastic stamp on it. I missed Rubicon and The Prisoner, but AMC has consistently been the best TV since post-The Wire HBO. This show was a cheap shot, steel-toed kick to the balls.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:13 am 

Pretty spot-on commentary from Bill Simmons:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6680958/hackery-first-degree

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next