Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Anyone ever do a recording session via email?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:12 pm 

With technology the way it is at this point, it's interesting that you can email a file to someone else anywhere in the world and they can do a track or two and email it back to you to dump back into your session.

I'm actually about to see how well that works. Gonna have a guest guitar solo on one of our tracks from the upcoming album. Actually gonna be from one of our awesome members here. I will post it some time when it's complete, but we are super excited about it. Can't wait to see what our mystery guitar player will do. The secret will soon be revealed.

Revebnation
LastFM

Post subject: Re: Anyone ever do a recording session via email?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:17 pm 

I've always wondered that, of doing an online recording session and each contributes something.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:30 pm 

I think there was a little recording project similar to that on the old sr.com board. Email to the next person and add to it, and pas it on, etc...

I'm also pretty sure there was something similar to that with photoshop stuff.

Revebnation
LastFM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:11 pm 

Congrats! I've wanted to do some sort of collab like that for awhile--people around here, locally, that can do things really well, as well as even being into/ liking the direction is pretty rare.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:20 pm 

I would be down if I just got the proper recording equipment for my computa.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:28 pm 

I tried this a couple of times with members from the SR.com but nothing ever came of it.
I'd still love to do something though because like Ryan said, there are very few people around my area that are really into the general styles of music that we wind up discussing on these boards.

A guitarist of mine whom I have played with for ages (29 yrs. in July) and I have done this a bit since he moved to Little Rock, AR a few years ago.

Anyway I'm a drummer/vocalist that can find his way around on guitar, bass, and (if need be) keys.
I also own lots of recording gear, have access to two recording spaces and a little bit of free time these days.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:40 pm 

I'd be down for doing some guitar work in a project like this.

http://blackartstoneworks.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:26 pm 

I'd thought of organizing something like this--an experimental/ ambient thing that just had people doing whatever, or maybe there were vague parameters, like in the key of A or something.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:40 am 

Sounds good. Lets get this going.

Revebnation
LastFM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:08 pm 

I'm down.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:28 am 

We should do an Obelisk album together.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 am 

Obelisk.net.comp.collab

Revebnation
LastFM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:55 pm 

I have some ambient pieces left over that I haven't released or done anything with that I could submit, to start it off, where it gives some basic direction. To save PM confusion and whatnot, let me know here who wants to add stuff over top....just respond here in this thread after people do, and then i'll give you the stem tracks after those people are finished. I'm thinking that it would probably be a 3-5 minute song mostly in the key of A minor--kind of haunting sounding. If someone wanted to play drums/ percussion or whatever, that's cool too....synths, Mellotrons, drones, whatever you want to contribute. I can mix it after everyone's done their thing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:14 pm 

Can I play?!

Really, though, I'm down to do whatever. Layering, mixing, drums/guitar...

I can make some pretty interesting electronic compositions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:37 pm 

SunnO))) wrote:
Can I play?!

Really, though, I'm down to do whatever. Layering, mixing, drums/guitar...

I can make some pretty interesting electronic compositions.

Sure thing. Whatever you want to do is up to you. I can upload the basic track online somewhere, and then you can download it and put it into your DAW software to add to. I should have this done either today or tomorrow....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:59 pm 

Someone should be "final mixer." We should all record our respective tracks, and not cut anything, that way we can just drop them into a software, and everything will line up... once everything is recorded, THEN we cut and mix everything...

Univeral four count at the beginning? A specific point where everything matches up, or can be matched up? E-stuff is difficult sometimes...

who knows!? It'll buff out...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:10 am 

I'm down to do something on this, but what's everyone using for software, or we just gonna pass around some wave files?

Revebnation
LastFM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:30 am 

SunnO))) wrote:
Someone should be "final mixer." We should all record our respective tracks, and not cut anything, that way we can just drop them into a software, and everything will line up... once everything is recorded, THEN we cut and mix everything...

Univeral four count at the beginning? A specific point where everything matches up, or can be matched up? E-stuff is difficult sometimes...

who knows!? It'll buff out...

Good points. I'll do the final mixing--I mix my own records, and i've done songs that have 100 tracks and whatnot and am pretty handy with compression/ limiting/ EQ. 4 count to start off is a good idea....we need to find a way to make sure that all the tracks start off at the same place (at 0:00), just so that the next person that puts it in their DAW will know when the actual track starts.....for example, if someone records something halfway into the song (synth part or whatever), it will be recorded at that point, but the entire track starts off at the beginning. What i'd recommend is to just hit record at the beginning (with no mic on....just pure silence), and then record a dummy track of silence for the entire duration, and then later overdub what you're actually going to record/ play at a particular point, then bounce or consolidate that track--it will combine the dummy track of silence and then overwrite your actual part at the point that it starts. Depending on what format of DAW (Reaper, Audacity, ProTools, Cubase, Studio One, etc) this is probably the easiest way to line up tracks so that they actually correspond to each other when put in other DAW's, so that each track actually starts at 0:00 instead of the next person having to guess how far your actual part comes into the song.

I use Studio One Pro, and I could otherwise save it to a project where people would know where the overdubs start, but not everyone uses Studio One, so the other programs wouldn't recognize where other players' overdubs start. Confusing, I know, but hopefully this made some sense. Saving the files as WAV files makes the most sense, too.....for uploading/ downloading, it will take some time, but i'd rather it be done that way so that the tracks are in full fidelity.....it would make no sense to save and compress the files to MP3 to save some time, when you spent a good portion of time trying to get the tones and sounds correct. I have alot of hosting space at my website, so instead of going through MegaUpload or whatever, we could just use my server space to exchange tracks.

Another idea is that after everyone has had their first round of recording, we could always send the stems to everyone involved so that they could isolate the tracks and see exactly what everyone else came up with. Ie: the second person in the chain would have only heard the first person's output, not the fifth person's output, but if they had got the stems back after the first round of recording was done, they'd have a new perspective on creativity, just based on what everyone else came up with after you had given them some direction/ perspective. Sometimes when isolating tracks, they have a different perspective outside of the actual context of the song (ie: harmony/ counterpoint tracks), without the actual basic chord changes. Of course, these are all just suggestions--lemme know if that's too involved or whatnot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:46 pm 

I use cubase. I say have that universal four count, and if your part comes later on in the song... hit record from the beginning and don't do anything until your time comes. We can cut out any bullshit noise or whatever, ya dig? That's the easy way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:25 am 

SunnO))) wrote:
I use cubase. I say have that universal four count, and if your part comes later on in the song... hit record from the beginning and don't do anything until your time comes. We can cut out any bullshit noise or whatever, ya dig? That's the easy way.

Yeah, I can just mute the tracks until they actually kick in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:19 am 

Sign me up. I'm a guitar player and chief-songwriter for the band Bevar Sea (Bay-ver). I'll take the track and either do something on my own, or do something with the rest of the band.

http://reverbnation.com/bevarsea
http://bevarsea.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:15 am 

woooo. Solid, let me know what's going on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:09 pm 

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Let's do it!

Revebnation
LastFM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:07 pm 

Havent done a session like this, but have done a studio session where I'd lay down a bass track, they'd email a rough on-the-spot mix to the other guy in Conneticut. Then Conneticut guy would text the guy here with a yea/nay or suggestions.

Pretty trippy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:15 pm 

I just did this with my band's album that we are working on now. Emailed stereo mix to a friend of mine in Boston, and Scarab Cadaver went there to lay down a guitar solo. The Pro Tools session was emailed back to us, and we dumped it into our session for the mix. Also gonna get Jay Mascis to do one as well. Pretty neat technology these days!

Revebnation
LastFM

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next