Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Black dudes reacting to Heavy Metal music on the yooutubes!?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:05 pm 

I LOL'd more than a few times. I guess this is a "thing" now?!? Kinda fun to watch, tbh.

Post subject: Re: Black dudes reacting to Heavy Metal music on the yooutub
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:39 pm 

Anon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:40 pm 

And another.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:02 pm 

Sometimes you just end up pissing in Timothy Leary's white kitchen because it looks like a bathroom.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:45 am 

Please just go to bed, ya drunk dumbass half a fag.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:05 pm 

libertycaps wrote:

I LOL'd more than a few times. I guess this is a "thing" now?!? Kinda fun to watch, tbh.

"Ayn Rand is my hero," yet another student tells me during office hours. "Her writings freed me. They taught me to rely on no one but myself."

As I look at the freshly scrubbed and very young face across my desk, I find myself wondering why Rand's popularity among the young continues to grow. Thirty years after her death, her book sales still number in the hundreds of thousands annually — having tripled since the 2008 economic meltdown. Among her devotees are highly influential celebrities, such as Brad Pitt and Eva Mendes, and politicos, such as current Speaker of the House Paul Ryan and Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz.

The core of Rand's philosophy — which also constitutes the overarching theme of her novels — is that unfettered self-interest is good and altruism is destructive. This, she believed, is the ultimate expression of human nature, the guiding principle by which one ought to live one's life. In "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," Rand put it this way:

Collectivism is the tribal premise of primordial savages who, unable to conceive of individual rights, believed that the tribe is a supreme, omnipotent ruler, that it owns the lives of its members and may sacrifice them whenever it pleases.

By this logic, religious and political controls that hinder individuals from pursuing self-interest should be removed. (It is perhaps worth noting here that the initial sex scene between the protagonists of Rand's book "The Fountainhead" is a rape in which "she fought like an animal.")

WATCH: Why do the rich get richer? French economist Piketty takes on inequality in 'Capital'

The fly in the ointment of Rand's philosophical "objectivism" is the plain fact that humans have a tendency to cooperate and to look out for each other, as noted by many anthropologists who study hunter-gatherers. These "prosocial tendencies" were problematic for Rand, because such behavior obviously mitigates against "natural" self-interest and therefore should not exist. She resolved this contradiction by claiming that humans are born as tabula rasa, a blank slate, (as many of her time believed) and prosocial tendencies, particularly altruism, are "diseases" imposed on us by society, insidious lies that cause us to betray biological reality. For example, in her journal entry dated May 9, 1934, Rand mused:

For instance, when discussing the social instinct — does it matter whether it had existed in the early savages? Supposing men were born social (and even that is a question) — does it mean that they have to remain so? If man started as a social animal — isn't all progress and civilization directed toward making him an individual? Isn't that the only possible progress? If men are the highest of animals, isn't man the next step?

The hero of her most popular novel, "Atlas Shrugged," personifies this "highest of animals": John Galt is a ruthless captain of industry who struggles against stifling government regulations that stand in the way of commerce and profit. In a revolt, he and other captains of industry each close down production of their factories, bringing the world economy to its knees. "You need us more than we need you" is their message.

To many of Rand's readers, a philosophy of supreme self-reliance devoted to the pursuit of supreme self-interest appears to be an idealized version of core American ideals: freedom from tyranny, hard work and individualism. It promises a better world if people are simply allowed to pursue their own self-interest without regard to the impact of their actions on others. After all, others are simply pursuing their own self-interest as well.

So what if people behaved according to Rand's philosophy of "objectivism"? What if we indeed allowed ourselves to be blinded to all but our own self-interest?

Modern economic theory is based on exactly these principles. A rational agent is defined as an individual who is self-interested. A market is a collection of such rational agents, each of whom is also self-interested. Fairness does not enter into it. In a recent Planet Money episode, David Blanchflower, a Dartmouth professor of economics and former member of the Central Bank of England, laughed out loud when one of the hosts asked, "Is that fair?"

"Economics is not about fairness," he said. "I'm not going there."

Economists alternately find alarming and amusing a large body of results from experimental studies showing that people don't behave according to the tenets of rational choice theory. We are far more cooperative and willing to trust than is predicted by the theory, and we retaliate vehemently when others behave selfishly. In fact, we are willing to pay a penalty for an opportunity to punish people who appear to be breaking implicit rules of fairness in economic transactions.

So what if people behaved according to Rand's philosophy of "objectivism"? What if we indeed allowed ourselves to be blinded to all but our own self-interest?

An example from industry

In 2008, Sears CEO Eddie Lampert decided to restructure the company according to Rand's principles.

Lampert broke the company into more than 30 individual units, each with its own management and each measured separately for profit and loss. The idea was to promote competition among the units, which Lampert assumed would lead to higher profits. Instead, this is what happened, as described by Mina Kimes, a reporter for Bloomberg Business:

An outspoken advocate of free-market economics and fan of the novelist Ayn Rand, he created the model because he expected the invisible hand of the market to drive better results. If the company's leaders were told to act selfishly, he argued, they would run their divisions in a rational manner, boosting overall performance.

Instead, the divisions turned against each other — and Sears and Kmart, the overarching brands, suffered. Interviews with more than 40 former executives, many of whom sat at the highest levels of the company, paint a picture of a business that's ravaged by infighting as its divisions battle over fewer resources.

A close-up of the debacle was described by Lynn Stuart Parramore in a Salon article from 2013:

It got crazy. Executives started undermining other units because they knew their bonuses were tied to individual unit performance. They began to focus solely on the economic performance of their unit at the expense of the overall Sears brand. One unit, Kenmore, started selling the products of other companies and placed them more prominently than Sears' own products. Units competed for ad space in Sears' circulars…Units were no longer incentivized to make sacrifices, like offering discounts, to get shoppers into the store.

Sears became a miserable place to work, rife with infighting and screaming matches. Employees, focused solely on making money in their own unit, ceased to have any loyalty to the company or stake in its survival.

We all know the end of the story: Sears share prices fell, and the company appears to be headed toward bankruptcy. The moral of the story, in Parramore's words:

What Lampert failed to see is that humans actually have a natural inclination to work for the mutual benefit of an organization. They like to cooperate and collaborate, and they often work more productively when they have shared goals. Take all of that away and you create a company that will destroy itself.

An example from Honduras

In 2009, Honduras experienced a coup d'état when the Honduran Army ousted President Manuel Zelaya on orders from the Honduran Supreme Court. What followed was succinctly summarized by Honduran attorney Oscar Cruz:

The coup in 2009 unleashed the voracity of the groups with real power in this country. It gave them free reins to take over everything. They started to reform the Constitution and many laws — the ZEDE comes in this context — and they made the Constitution into a tool for them to get rich.

As part of this process, the Honduran government passed a law in 2013 that created autonomous free-trade zones that are governed by corporations instead of the countries in which they exist. So what was the outcome? Writer Edwin Lyngar described vacationing in Honduras in 2015, an experience that turned him from Ayn Rand supporter to Ayn Rand debunker. In his words:

The greatest examples of libertarianism in action are the hundreds of men, women and children standing alongside the roads all over Honduras. The government won't fix the roads, so these desperate entrepreneurs fill in potholes with shovels of dirt or debris. They then stand next to the filled-in pothole soliciting tips from grateful motorists. That is the wet dream of libertarian private sector innovation.

He described the living conditions this way:

On the mainland, there are two kinds of neighborhoods, slums that seem to go on forever and middle-class neighborhoods where every house is its own citadel. In San Pedro Sula, most houses are surrounded by high stone walls topped with either concertina wire or electric fence at the top. As I strolled past these castle-like fortifications, all I could think about was how great this city would be during a zombie apocalypse.

Without collective effort, large infrastructure projects like road construction and repair languish. A resident "pointed out a place for a new airport that could be the biggest in Central America, if only it could get built, but there is no private sector upside."

A trip to a local pizzeria was described this way:

We walked through the gated walls and past a man in casual slacks with a pistol belt slung haphazardly around his waist.  Welcome to an Ayn Rand libertarian paradise, where your extra-large pepperoni pizza must also have an armed guard.

This is the inevitable outcome of unbridled self-interest set loose in unregulated markets.

Yet devotees of Ayn Rand still argue that unregulated self-interest is the American way, that government interference stifles individualism and free trade. One wonders whether these same people would champion the idea of removing all umpires and referees from sporting events. What would mixed martial arts or football or rugby be like, one wonders, without those pesky referees constantly getting in the way of competition and self-interest?

READ: Libertarian Charles Murray: The welfare state has denuded our civic culture

Perhaps another way to look at this is to ask why our species of hominid is the only one still in existence on the planet, despite there having been many other hominid species during the course of our own evolution. One explanation is that we were cleverer, more ruthless and more competitive than those who went extinct. But anthropological archaeology tells a different story. Our very survival as a species depended on cooperation, and humans excel at cooperative effort. Rather than keeping knowledge, skills and goods ourselves, early humans exchanged them freely across cultural groups.

When people behave in ways that violate the axioms of rational choice, they are not behaving foolishly. They are giving researchers a glimpse of the prosocial tendencies that made it possible for our species to survive and thrive… then and today.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:23 pm 

https://www.hiv.va.gov/patient/faqs/life-expectancy-with-HIV.asp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:31 pm 

libertycaps wrote:

‹ HOMEPAGE

CHANGETrans Actors: We Would Be Proud To Play a Trans James Bond

Samantha Allen

12.29.18 9:01 PM ET

Photo Illustration by The Daily Beast

A transgender Bond would shake, not stir things up.

With Daniel Craig’s tenure as the famed superspy coming to a close, actor Dominic West floated the idea of “a transgender Bond” in a Sunday Times interview this week, saying that it “would be cool.”

That suggestion inspired the usual round of outrage, with cries of political correctness gone too far, but transgender male actors tell The Daily Beast that such a casting would be a breakthrough moment for LGBTmedia representation.

“It would tell me that trans men were being seen as men, legitimate and worthy of casting in this role,” Transparent star Ian Harvie told The Daily Beast.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It would feel like a major triumph if I or one of my trans actor friends were to be cast in such a hypermasculine role as Bond”

Harvie has long daydreamed of playing 007, so getting the chance to don the tuxedo—or to watch one of his peers do it—would be personally meaningful.

“As someone who has been told over and over again through social messaging (and sometimes directly to my face) that I am someone who is not allowed to own my masculinity, that I am not a real man, that only cis white men are allowed to own masculinity, it would feel like a major triumph if I or one of my trans actor friends were to be cast in such a hypermasculine role as Bond,” said Harvie.

Transgender parts in Hollywood are already few and far between—but high-profile parts for transgender men are especially rare. Four years after Orange is the New Black star Laverne Cox appeared on the cover of Time magazine, there has yet to be an equivalent tipping point for transgender male talent. A transgender Bond would change that, said actor Scott Turner Schofield, who had a recurring role on The Bold and the Beautiful.

“A trans man Bond would establish trans men in entertainment, the way so many trans women, like Laverne Cox, already have [for trans women],” he told The Daily Beast.

“He’s a cultural institution. The idea of including trans men in that—and the impact it would have on culture by creating visibility and accepting trans men as the be-all-and-end-all-of-men—cannot be underestimated”

In fact, there may be no petter part than Bond, icon that he is, to complete that mission.

“He’s a cultural institution,” said Schofield. “The idea of including trans men in that—and the impact it would have on culture by creating visibility and accepting trans men as the be-all-and-end-all-of-men—cannot be underestimated.”

“I’d give anything for that part,” he added. “I’d even go to the gym for it!”

But transgender actors, as Schofield noted, are not “monolithic” in their opinions, and he readily admits that some of his colleagues might not be as interested in the part.

For example, transgender actor D’Lo, who has had parts on Sense8 and Transparent, told The Daily Beast that he has mixed feelings about the idea of playing Bond.

“Because it’s Bond,” he explained. “It’s very hypermasculine in a weird sort of way.”

D’Lo, who is Tamil Sri Lankan-American, also pointed out that all seven Bonds, from Connery to Craig, have been white, despite repeated calls for Idris Elba to be cast in the role.

Indeed, the conversation around the casting of Bond has always been about who gets to be a man—or at least who gets to be seen as proximate to the masculine ideal.

“As a person of color who’s trans, I feel like I’ve been waiting for masculine actors of color—whether they are trans or not—to get some shine,” said D’Lo.’

Indeed, given the lack of diversity among the Bonds so far, it seems unlikely that a transgender performer will immediately step into Craig’s Crockett & Jones shoes.

But ultimately, D’Lo says he would celebrate any actor who landed such a prestigious part, whether it was a transgender performer playing a cisgender (i.e. non-transgender) James Bond or a transgender performer playing a James Bond who was expressly written as transgender.

That idea—a Bond who is transgender—seems to be closer to what West had in mind when he made his off-the-cuff comment to the Sunday Times.

As IndieWire noted, West was inspired by his Colette co-star Jake Graf, a transgender actor whose wife Hannah, also transgender, is an officer in the British Army.

“She’s a beautiful blonde girl who could be Bond, yes,” said West of Hannah. “That’s actually a brilliant idea. They should have a transgender Bond because there are a lot of transgender people in the army.”

But Hannah Graf suggested on Twitter that her husband would be perfect for the part: “Smooth, devilishly handsome, and actually an actor!”

Hannah Graf@hannahw253

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 96801.html … If you really want a transgender Bond, then I can think of no one better than @JakeGraf1. Smooth, devilishly handsome and actually an actor!!

8:21 PM - Dec 23, 2018

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Dominic West says the next James Bond should be transgender

Dominic West has waded in on the debate of who should play the next James Bond, suggesting producers should select a transgender actor. The British star also had someone in mind – Hannah Graf, the

independent.co.uk

46 people are talking about this

Jake Graf is notable for having been cast in a cisgender male part in Colette—a rarity in an industry that, when it casts transgender actors at all, often relegates them exclusively to those transgender roles that aren’t already taken up by cisgender actors.

But the actors who spoke to The Daily Beast said they would be more intrigued by the idea of a Bond who was subtly written as transgender himself. (“That’s more interesting to me,” said D’Lo, “and I would like to see that reflected in the writing and the story.”)

As Harvie pointed out, it’s not as though Bond is ever given more than the broadest brushstrokes of a backstory. A few allusions to his past would probably suffice.

“In the basic formula of a Bond film, unlike the Bourne franchise, we don’t dig much into Bond’s past,”said Harvie. “It’s usually just action scene after action scene.”

In fact, despite the predictable anti-LGBT outcry after the West interview, a transgender Bond movie wouldn’t have to be all that different from the film fans expect, Harvie maintains. So long as the movie ends “with Bond modestly injured and shirtless, with a love interest in one hand and a cocktail in the other,” he reckons the essentials are there.

And although the character could certainly stand to be “modernized,” as Harvie noted, there are certain Bond characteristics that are timeless—and a lot of transgender performers have had life experiences that would only highlight them.

“A trans Bond would portray all the same Bond characteristics we already love,”  said Schofield.”A deep sense of personal authenticity, a strength that emanates from within, a calling to justice, coolness in the face of constant attacks. Trans people come preloaded with all of that, so it would be a natural fit to add to the mantle of Bond.”

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:33 pm 

https://www.hiv.va.gov/patient/faqs/lif ... th-HIV.asp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:12 pm 

Maybe we can get back on topic? Maybe M@sshole can keep his nose outta my ass for a minute?
Hmmmmmm. I doubt it. Buster just can't help his man butt scent craving self.

Last edited by libertycaps on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:48 pm 

libertycaps wrote:

Maybe we can get back on topic? Maybe M@sshole half-a-fag can keep his nose outta my ass for a minute?
Hmmmmmm. I doubt it. Buster just can't help his man butt scent craving self.

The father of a Parkland shooting victim slammed Louis C.K. as “pathetic, disgusting, vile and gross” after leaked audio revealed the disgraced comedian has been telling jokes about massacre survivors.

But the owner of the club that hosted Louis C.K. said it was an honor to have him on stage and claimed he got a standing ovation.

“He brought the house down,” James Dolce, owner of Governor’s Comedy Club in Levittown, Long Island, told The Daily Beast. “He’s a genius.”

Nearly a year after he was driven into celebrity exile by allegations of sexual misconduct, Louis C.K. is in the midst of a comeback attempt, making surprise drop-ins at the Comedy Cellar in New York City and apparently debuting a full-length set at Governor's earlier this month.

ADVERTISEMENT

But Fred Guttenberg, whose 14-year-old daughter, Jaime, was gunned down at Stoneman Douglas High School, said the jokes he told about Parkland show he should not be forgiven.

“Louis C.K. is someone who failed because of abusing people in the past, and to try and make a comeback by abusing families like mine only makes him pathetic, disgusting, vile and gross, and he ought to go back to the hole he’s been hiding for the past two years,” Guttenberg told The Daily Beast on Monday.‌

CANCELED

Louis C.K.’s Leaked Set Panders to the Alt-Right

Kevin Fallon

The audio leaked from the standup routines captured Louis C.K. taking a shot at the Stoneman Douglas students who have become high-profile gun control activists. 

“They testify in front of Congress, these kids? What are they doing?” he said. “You’re young, you should be crazy, you should be unhinged, not in a suit… you’re not interesting. Because you went to a high school where kids got shot? Why does that mean I have to listen to you?… You didn’t got shot, you pushed some fat kid in the way, and now I’ve gotta listen to you talking?”

Cameron Kasky, a Parkland survivor who co-founded March For Our Lives, said he used to be a Louis C.K. fan.

“Comedy is comedy and it’s not my job to police it, but unfortunately for Louis, this wasn’t funny,” he told the Daily Beast. “It appears that he’s leveraging his appeal as a non-PC comic to attract the lowest common denominator. Which is disappointing, I might add, because I once thought Louis’ careless tendencies were quite charming. But no, he has joined far too many others in the bottom of the barrel. Oh well.”

Fellow survivor Aly Sheehy, meanwhile, shot back at the 51-year-old comedian's comments directly.

"Yes we’re 18 and yes we’re supposed to be having fun and all that, but you guys—all the 51-year-olds—who were messing around at our age have messed up our futures," she told The Daily Beast. "So we’re focused on fixing our futures first, and then we’ll go and have our fun."

Kyra Parrow

✔@longlivekcx

Louis C.K, although taking jello shots & eating mushrooms might have been ideal for you when you were 18, that is not the luxury that we have after having to see our friends and classmates in caskets because of preventable gun violence.

Shannon Watts

✔@shannonrwatts

Imagine thinking the best way to resurrect your career after admitting to sexual misconduct is to mock trans people and Parkland gun violence survivors.

12:28 PM - Dec 31, 2018

1,318 people are talking about this

Louis C.K.—who recently came under fire for a clip from a 2011 HBO special that showed him and Chris Rock using the N-word—has not commented on the backlash. But Guttenberg said he's not interested in an apology.

“When people show you who they are, I’ve gotten used to saying, believe them. He showed who he was. He crossed over a line. To go make fun of these families at this time of year—which has been brutal for us, to be honest—there’s just no words.”

But the father did invite the comedian to come try out his new material on a bunch of Parkland families. “I'll get the crowd together. I hope he’ll take me up on the offer,” Guttenberg said.‌

Fred Guttenberg

✔@fred_guttenberg

To anyone who knows Louis CK, please deliver this message for me. My daughter was killed in the Parkland shooting. My son ran from the bullets. My wife and I deal with loss everyday. Why don't you come to my house and try out your new pathetic jokes? https://www.thedailybeast.com/louis-cks ... -alt-right …

9:23 AM - Dec 31, 2018

Louis C.K.’s Leaked Set Reveals He’s Still a Piece of Sh*t

The comedian’s controversial post-#MeToo path to redemption sees him trashing Parkland survivors, mocking gender identity, and whining that he’s still not forgiven. Bye, bitch.

thedailybeast.com

12.7K people are talking about this

Tony Montalto, the father of Gina Montalto, another 14-year-old killed in the shooting, said Louis C.K. should be praising, not making fun of the survivors.

“I try and be understanding of how he makes his living with shocking remarks to bring levity to the world. However, I feel that it’s definitely too soon for such comments,” Montalto said.

“The surviving students should be applauded for their ability to speak out and express themselves. The reason they have a voice is because my daughter and 16 other beautiful souls were lost that day. And to pick on those students minimizes the loss of those 17 families.”

Aalayah Eastmond@AalayahEastmond

Hey Louis CK - since you like making fun of me and other Parkland survivors behind closed doors, I’m right here if you want to talk. Just try to keep it in your pants, ok?

11:46 AM - Dec 31, 2018

5,682 people are talking about this

Conservative commentator Ben Shapiro, meanwhile, seemed to suggest that critics were being too thin-skinned in a snarky tweet.

“I think we can all agree that the only acceptable comedy is that if Hannah Gadsby, which involves no laughter but a lot of angry woke commentary,” he wrote. “As a society, we have evolved beyond comedy. The real comedy is that we used to laugh at things.”

Club owner Dolce said no one in the audience should have been shocked by what they heard.

“I did hear that a couple people are perturbed by some of the things that he said. My response to that is that it’s comedy. You know who you’re coming to see. You bought tickets to see him,” he said.

”I have no regrets at all. He’s a legend ion the comedy biz. To have a legend play my club is an honor.”

#METOO?

Louis C.K. Hasn’t Earned His Redemption

Danielle Tcholakian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:07 pm 

There. That's what you always end with. Your shite band SPAM. Happy nowr?!

Last edited by libertycaps on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:10 pm 

libertycaps wrote:

There. That's what you always end with. Your shite band SPAM. Happy now, cocksucker?!

It was not long ago that Judge Andrew Napolitano was among the cable news stars least likely to be viewed as an anti-Trump truth teller.

The Fox News judicial analyst caused a minor diplomatic incident weeks after President Trump took office by claiming on air that British intelligence officials wiretapped Trump at the behest of the Obama administration.

The assertion was parroted by the White House and the president himself, garnering media attention and infuriating British officials (who vehemently denied Napolitano’s claim). Critics blasted Fox News for carrying Trump’s water by uncritically perpetuating unverified claims. Fox ultimately suspended Napolitano, and the network’s consummate newsman Shepard Smith rebuked the unsubstantiated claim on air.

But since then, Judge Napolitano has frequently been in the news for a very different reason: He has emerged as one of the most prominent Fox News skeptics as to the Trump team’s legal arguments—and a frequent foil for many of Fox’s Trump-boosting hosts.

ALLY

When Judge Napolitano Speaks, Why Does Trump Listen?

Lloyd Grove

Clips of his rebuttals to Fox News hosts have become fodder for many online news outlets (including this one), and have caught the attention of rival networks.

Earlier this month, CNN analyst Jeff Toobin praised Napolitano for “simply telling the truth,” while New Day host Alisyn Camerota said Napolitano’s willingness to go “off the reservation” on the Russia investigation was “striking.” MSNBC’s Morning Joe ran a segment on Napolitano’s suggestion that Trump could be indicted, prompting host Mika Brzezinski to quip: “You know it’s bad when you’ve lost Fox News.”

Additionally, the libertarian Napolitano’s on-air departures from the Fox News line have earned him the unlikely public praise of left-wing politicians like Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY). “This Fox News judge does a great job explaining why President Trump is in real trouble,” Sanders tweeted earlier this month.

Bernie Sanders

✔@SenSanders

This Fox News judge does a great job explaining why President Trump is in real trouble.

12:40 PM - Dec 13, 2018

7,990 people are talking about this

Indeed, Napolitano has spent a significant amount of time concisely explaining for Fox News viewers how the president is sinking further into trouble.

Several weeks ago, he bluntly said Trump likely committed a felony by directing illegal payments to two women who claimed they had affairs with him. He vehemently disagreedwith Fox Business Network host Maria Bartiromo—an ally of the president’s—over her claim that the FBI “entrapped” former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn.

He patiently explained for the frequently puzzled hosts of Fox & Friends, Trump’s favorite cable gabfest, how the president does nothave the authority to end birthright citizenship through executive order. Napolitano also informed the Friends—who scrambled to defend their most loyal viewer—how Trump’s own tweets could help Special Counsel Robert Mueller build an obstruction of justice case.

And he told right-wing Fox Business Network host Stuart Varney that CNN had a very solid legal case against the White House after it revoked correspondent Jim Acosta’s press badge over a tense exchange with the president.

While the ex-judge is far from alone in his convictions on any of these topics, observers have taken notice because of how starkly his commentary runs counter to those of the Trump-boosting stars who host him on their Fox News and Fox Business Network programs.

BUBBLE BURST

Judge Patiently Explains Cohen Plea to Fox Hosts

Matt Wilstein

Napolitano has emerged as a frequent foil, for example, to Fox News personalities like former judge Jeanine Pirro and Gregg Jarrett, two of the network’s most ardent Trump defenders who constantly rail against the Mueller investigation as a “hoax” and have revitalized their TV careers in doing so.

As the network’s principled libertarian legal analyst, Napolitano has dedicated a significant amount of his airtime over the past 20 months to criticizing Trump and warning of the legal trouble he could be in as a result of the Mueller probe and the SDNY investigation into his payments to two adult-film stars during the 2016 campaign.

In fact, the very first episode of Napolitano’s own show on Fox Nation—the network’s new web-only streaming service—focused on whether Trump could be impeached. And during a segment titled “Things I Hate,” Napolitano criticized Trump for a number of recent decisions, including his mocking of Mueller, his refusal to criticize Saudi Arabia for its involvement in the murder of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi, and his tantrums suggesting the U.S. should start a state-sponsored television network to cover him more favorably.

In the last two months, the former New Jersey superior court judge has written a number of op-eds for the Fox News website, including one warning how Trump’s acting attorney general Matt Whitaker has “an attraction to legal thinking that is profoundly at odds with 215 years of consistent American jurisprudence” and should terrify the average American.

BACK TO SCHOOL

Judge Nap Teaches Basic Civics to ‘Fox & Friends’ Hosts

Olivia Messer

His shift into the media’s favorite cable news truth-teller has caught the eye of many observers, but for longtime observers of the judge’s career, it is not surprising.

A longtime libertarian, Napolitano’s skepticism of all things government has occasionally cut against Fox News orthodoxy. Former Fox News chief Roger Ailes once reportedly scoldedthe judge for saying former President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney should be prosecuted for “torturing, for spying, for arresting without warrant.”

And Napolitano hasn’t always been a favorite among left-leaning observers either: as a devout Catholic, he has spoken out against abortion; he has criticized Abraham Lincoln for waging the Civil War; and flirted with 9/11 conspiracy theories, once gaining a fan in Alex Jones.

While his recent on-air barbs have delighted critics of the president’s favorite cable network, it’s unclear where Napolitano personally stands with the president, who maintains a friendly relationship with a number of Fox News stars.

REAL NEWS

Judge Napolitano Schools Fox Host on Acosta Lawsuit

Matt Wilstein

Trump and Napolitano have known each other for years, as the judge lives in one of Trump’s buildings in New York. Napolitano acknowledged on Fox News last year that he had spoken with Trump repeatedly since the election, and reportedly told friendshe was on Trump’s shortlist for a Supreme Court nomination.

Napolitano joins a small group of right-leaning contributors who have recently crossed the president and diverged from Fox’s brand of Trump-boosting. One such contributor, Ret. Lt. Col. Ralph Peters, left the network earlier this year, writing in a scathing letter how he was infuriated by the network’s coverage of Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election. Fox News responded, saying Peters was using his opinion "as a weapon in order to gain attention."

“Fox News is assaulting our constitutional order and the rule of law, while fostering corrosive and unjustified paranoia among viewers,” he wrote in the email. “Over my decade with Fox, I long was proud of the association. Now I am ashamed.”

But despite his disagreements with Fox News hosts over legal issues, the likelihood of Napolitano following Peters’ path is slim.

The affable judge remains well-liked in the building, and people close to him told The Daily Beast he is content with and loyal to the network. He continues to get booked regularly on shows and has free reign over his Fox Nation streaming show.

Fox News did not make Napolitano available for an interview, and Napolitano did not return a request for comment.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:12 pm 

meh.

Last edited by libertycaps on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:41 pm 

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/palace_in_thunderland

There's the RYM link.

Last edited by libertycaps on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:34 am 

This one is really fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:36 am 

Oh, and Andy Buttplug. Please go touch somebody else's cotton. Kay? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:15 pm 

libertycaps wrote:

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump rang in the new year Tuesday by denouncing a new Democratic plan to re-open the government because it lacks money for a wall along the U.S. Mexico border.

"The Democrats, much as I suspected, have allocated no money for a new Wall. So imaginative!" Trump tweeted. "The problem is, without a Wall there can be no real Border Security - and our Country must finally have a Strong and Secure Southern Border!"

Democrats have accused Trump of promoting the shutdown, now in its 11th day as well as a new year, by insisting on an expensive that would do little or nothing to stop illegal border crossings.

"While @realDonaldTrump drags the nation into #TrumpShutdown Week 2 and sits in the White House & tweets, without offering any plan that can pass both chambers of Congress, Democrats are taking action to lead our country out of this mess," Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi tweeted in promoting her plan Monday.

Related Video: The Government Shutdown Blame Game

The government shutdown blame game

The government shutdown blame game

Former Sen. Mike Lee chief of staff Boyd Matheson and former DC Democratic Party Chairman Scott Bolden on the government shutdown over funding for a border wall.

During a New Year's Day tweet storm from the White House, Trump also issued a mocking season's greetings to his critics.

"HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE, INCLUDING THE HATERS AND THE FAKE NEWS MEDIA!" Trump tweeted in all caps.

He added: "2019 WILL BE A FANTASTIC YEAR FOR THOSE NOT SUFFERING FROM TRUMP DERANGEMENT SYNDROME. JUST CALM DOWN AND ENJOY THE RIDE, GREAT THINGS ARE HAPPENING FOR OUR COUNTRY!"

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE, INCLUDING THE HATERS AND THE FAKE NEWS MEDIA! 2019 WILL BE A FANTASTIC YEAR FOR THOSE NOT SUFFERING FROM TRUMP DERANGEMENT SYNDROME. JUST CALM DOWN AND ENJOY THE RIDE, GREAT THINGS ARE HAPPENING FOR OUR COUNTRY!

8:08 AM - Jan 1, 2019

89.2K people are talking about this

Later in the morning, Trump issued a more sedate tweet: "Happy New Year!"

As Democrats prepare to take charge of the House of Representatives when it convenes on Thursday, they proposed a plan to re-open the government while giving the parties more time to negotiate the sticking point that led to the shutdown: Trump's proposed border wall.

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

The Democrats, much as I suspected, have allocated no money for a new Wall. So imaginative! The problem is, without a Wall there can be no real Border Security - and our Country must finally have a Strong and Secure Southern Border!

9:32 AM - Jan 1, 2019

28.8K people are talking about this

The proposal includes full-year funding for shuttered departments except for the Department of Homeland Security, which handles immigration and border issues. The Democrats instead called for temporary funding of DHS through Feb. 8 as Trump and Congress negotiate a long-term plan, though many party members opposed any federal funding for the wall.

"The President is using the #TrumpShutdown to try to force an expensive & ineffective wall upon the American people, but Democrats have offered two bills which separate the arguments over the wall from the government shutdown," Pelosi tweeted.

While White House officials said they would not comment on any plan until Congress sends them one, Trump has said in tweets he would oppose any plan that lacks wall funding.

On Monday, the president tweeted that "the Democrats will probably submit a Bill, being cute as always, which gives everything away but gives NOTHING to Border Security, namely the Wall. You see, without the Wall there can be no Border Security."  

Congressional Republicans did not embrace the new Democratic plan.

Don Stewart, spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, said that the Republican-run Senate "is not going to send something to the president that he won’t sign."

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Donald Trump rejects Democratic funding plan, wishes Happy New Year to 'haters'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:57 pm 

Keep this vital underground info on the "down low"

Last edited by libertycaps on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:24 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:41 am 

libertycaps wrote:

Anon.

Aversive racism is a form of implicit racism in which a person's unconscious negative evaluations of racial or ethnic minorities are realized by a persistent avoidance of interaction with other racial and ethnic groups. As opposed to traditional, overt racism, which is characterized by overt hatred for and explicit discrimination against racial/ethnic minorities, aversive racism is characterized by more complex, ambivalentexpressions and attitudes.[49] Aversive racism is similar in implications to the concept of symbolic or modern racism (described below), which is also a form of implicit, unconscious, or covert attitude which results in unconscious forms of discrimination.

The term was coined by Joel Kovel to describe the subtle racial behaviors of any ethnic or racial group who rationalize their aversion to a particular group by appeal to rules or stereotypes.[49] People who behave in an aversively racial way may profess egalitarian beliefs, and will often deny their racially motivated behavior; nevertheless they change their behavior when dealing with a member of another race or ethnic group than the one they belong to. The motivation for the change is thought to be implicit or subconscious. Experiments have provided empirical support for the existence of aversive racism. Aversive racism has been shown to have potentially serious implications for decision making in employment, in legal decisions and in helping behavior.[50][51]

Color blindness

Main article: Color blindness (race)

In relation to racism, Color blindness is the disregard of racial characteristics in social interaction, for example in the rejection of affirmative action, as way to address the results of past patterns of discrimination. Critics of this attitude argue that by refusing to attend to racial disparities, racial color blindness in fact unconsciously perpetuates the patterns that produce racial inequality.[52]

Eduardo Bonilla-Silva argues that color blind racism arises from an "abstract liberalism, biologization of culture, naturalization of racial matters, and minimization of racism".[53]Color blind practices are "subtle, institutional, and apparently nonracial"[54] because race is explicitly ignored in decision making. If race is disregarded in predominantly white populations, for example, whiteness becomes the normative standard, whereas people of color are othered, and the racism these individuals experience may be minimized or erased.[55][56] At an individual level, people with "color blind prejudice" reject racist ideology, but also reject systemic policies intended to fix institutional racism.[56]

Cultural

See also: Xenophobia

Cultural racism is a term used to describe and explain new racial ideologies and practices that have emerged since World War II. It can be defined as societal beliefs and customs that promote the assumption that the products of a given culture, including the language and traditions of that culture are superior to those of other cultures. It shares a great deal with xenophobia, which is often characterised by fear of, or aggression toward, members of an outgroup by members of an ingroup.[citation needed]

Cultural racism exists when there is a widespread acceptance of stereotypes concerning different ethnic or population groups.[57] Where racism can be characterised by the belief that one race is inherently superior to another, cultural racism can be characterised by the belief that one culture is inherently superior to another.[58]

Economic

Further information: Racial wage gap in the United States and Racial wealth gap in the United States

Nazi boycott of Jewish businesses, Germany, 1933

Historical economic or social disparity is alleged to be a form of discrimination caused by past racism and historical reasons, affecting the present generation through deficits in the formal education and kinds of preparation in previous generations, and through primarily unconscious racist attitudes and actions on members of the general population.

In 2011, Bank of America agreed to pay $335 million to settle a federal government claim that its mortgage division, Countrywide Financial, discriminated against black and Hispanic homebuyers.[59]

During the Spanish colonial period, Spaniards developed a complex caste system based on race, which was used for social control and which also determined a person's importance in society.[60] While many Latin American countries have long since rendered the system officially illegal through legislation, usually at the time of their independence, prejudice based on degrees of perceived racial distance from European ancestry combined with one's socioeconomic status remain, an echo of the colonial caste system.[61]

Institutional

Further information: Institutional racism, State racism, Racial profiling, and Racism by country

Institutional racism (also known as structural racism, state racism or systemic racism) is racial discrimination by governments, corporations, religions, or educational institutions or other large organizations with the power to influence the lives of many individuals. Stokely Carmichael is credited for coining the phrase institutional racism in the late 1960s. He defined the term as "the collective failure of an organization to provide an appropriate and professional service to people because of their colour, culture or ethnic origin".[62]

Maulana Karenga argued that racism constituted the destruction of culture, language, religion, and human possibility and that the effects of racism were "the morally monstrous destruction of human possibility involved redefining African humanity to the world, poisoning past, present and future relations with others who only know us through this stereotyping and thus damaging the truly human relations among peoples".[63]

Othering

Main article: Othering

Othering is the term used by some to describe a system of discrimination whereby the characteristics of a group are used to distinguish them as separate from the norm.[64]

Othering plays a fundamental role in the history and continuation of racism. To objectify a culture as something different, exotic or underdeveloped is to generalize that it is not like 'normal' society. Europe's colonial attitude towards the Orient exemplifies this as it was thought that the East was the opposite of the West; feminine where the West was masculine, weak where the West was strong and traditional where the West was progressive.[65] By making these generalizations and othering the East, Europe was simultaneously defining herself as the norm, further entrenching the gap.[66]

Much of the process of othering relies on imagined difference, or the expectation of difference. Spatial difference can be enough to conclude that "we" are "here" and the "others" are over "there".[65] Imagined differences serve to categorize people into groups and assign them characteristics that suit the imaginer's expectations.[67]

Racial discrimination

Main article: Racial discrimination

Racial discrimination refers to discriminationagainst someone on the basis of their race.

Racial segregation

Main article: Racial segregation

External video James A. White Sr.: The little problem I had renting a house, TED Talks, 14:20, February 20, 2015

Racial segregation is the separation of humans into socially-constructed racial groups in daily life. It may apply to activities such as eating in a restaurant, drinking from a water fountain, using a bath room, attending school, going to the movies, or in the rental or purchase of a home.[68] Segregation is generally outlawed, but may exist through social norms, even when there is no strong individual preference for it, as suggested by Thomas Schelling's models of segregation and subsequent work.

Supremacism

Main article: Supremacism

In 1899 Uncle Sam (a personification of the United States) balances his new possessions which are depicted as savage children. The figures are Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Cuba, Philippines and "Lad robes" (the Mariana Islands).

Centuries of European colonialism in the Americas, Africa and Asia were often justified by white supremacist attitudes.[69] During the early 20th century, the phrase "The White Man's Burden" was widely used to justify an imperialist policy as a noble enterprise.[70][71]A justification for the policy of conquest and subjugation of Native Americans emanated from the stereotyped perceptions of the indigenous people as "merciless Indian savages" (as described in the United States Declaration of Independence).[72] In an 1890 article about colonial expansion onto Native American land, author L. Frank Baum wrote: "The Whites, by law of conquest, by justice of civilization, are masters of the American continent, and the best safety of the frontier settlements will be secured by the total annihilation of the few remaining Indians."[73]Attitudes of black supremacy, Arab supremacy, and East Asian supremacy also exist.

Symbolic/modern

Main article: Symbolic racism

A rally against school integration in 1959.

Some scholars argue that in the US earlier violent and aggressive forms of racism have evolved into a more subtle form of prejudice in the late 20th century. This new form of racism is sometimes referred to as "modern racism" and it is characterized by outwardly acting unprejudiced while inwardly maintaining prejudiced attitudes, displaying subtle prejudiced behaviors such as actions informed by attributing qualities to others based on racial stereotypes, and evaluating the same behavior differently based on the race of the person being evaluated.[74] This view is based on studies of prejudice and discriminatory behavior, where some people will act ambivalently towards black people, with positive reactions in certain, more public contexts, but more negative views and expressions in more private contexts. This ambivalence may also be visible for example in hiring decisions where job candidates that are otherwise positively evaluated may be unconsciously disfavored by employers in the final decision because of their race.[75][76][77]Some scholars consider modern racism to be characterized by an explicit rejection of stereotypes, combined with resistance to changing structures of discrimination for reasons that are ostensibly non-racial, an ideology that considers opportunity at a purely individual basis denying the relevance of race in determining individual opportunities and the exhibition of indirect forms of micro-aggression toward and/or avoidance of people of other races.[78]

Subconscious biases

Main article: Implicit bias § Racial bias

Recent research has shown that individuals who consciously claim to reject racism may still exhibit race-based subconscious biases in their decision-making processes. While such "subconscious racial biases" do not fully fit the definition of racism, their impact can be similar, though typically less pronounced, not being explicit, conscious or deliberate.[79]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:49 pm 

Assume whatever. I ain't wasting time on dumb shit no more.
Troll.

Last edited by libertycaps on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:19 am 

libertycaps wrote:

I could never better stead thee than now. Put money in thy purse. Follow thou the wars, defeat thy favor with an usurped beard. I say, put money in thy purse. It cannot be long that Desdemona should continue her love to the Moor—put money in thy purse—nor he his to her. It was a violent commencement in her, and thou shalt see an answerable sequestration—put but money in thy purse. These Moors are changeable in their wills—fill thy purse with money. The food that to him now is as luscious as locusts shall be to him shortly as bitter as coloquintida. She must change for youth. When she is sated with his body she will find the errors of her choice. Therefore, put money in thy purse. If thou wilt needs damn thyself, do it a more delicate way than drowning. Make all the money thou canst. If sanctimony and a frail vow betwixt an erring barbarian and supersubtle Venetian be not too hard for my wits and all the tribe of hell, thou shalt enjoy her. Therefore make money. A pox of drowning thyself! 'Tis clean out of the way. Seek thou rather to be hanged in compassing thy joy than to be drowned and go without her.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 pm 

Fuck you, troll.

Post subject: Jesus is a Fiend of Mine
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:50 pm 

SKANKIN' 4 JESUS!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next