Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Glacier,Pray for Sound,SEA,Courage Cloak-O'Brien's,11/17/17
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:57 am 

The text came in a little after 8. My buddy Steve was asking if I needed a ride to the Glacier show. The answer was "yes" so off we went to Allston. After finding pretty much the best parking spot ever in the history of the world, we went in right as the first band was starting. Once the beers were ordered we were good to go.

Courage Cloak kicked it off with a set of heavy, depressive metal. Churning riffs cranked out at maximum volume. Definitely residing somewhere in the Neurosis realm of music. This was my first time seeing them. Will go see again.

SEA have been around for a couple of years now and have really come into their own. They've done a bit of touring overseas and it shows. Super heavy and tight, like a mix of prog and doom with some black metal mixed in just to wake you up and make sure you don't feel too comfortable about how things are going. I really dig what they're doing. They'll be working on a new record so this was their last show for a little while, I believe. Guitarist Liz also does their artwork, which is definitely worth checking out and complements their music perfectly. Expect good things from SEA.

Pray for Sound were another new band to me. I've heard the name but hadn't seen them before. Instrumental metal that was all over the map stylistically. One moment they're chugging on some driving riff then the next they're busting out a kind of dance groove thing. Very polished sounding, like a studio recording basically. Some of the set lacked originality as far as the riffage but it was delivered perfectly and overall I enjoyed it. My friend pointed out at times that it was too uplifting, and I kind of had to agree. I'm here to be bummed out, not feel good. Will keep an eye out for them though.

And then Glacier closed out the night. This was their record release show and people came out. Place was packed for the whole night, so that's a good sign. These guys play monumental instrumental metal at ear bleeding volume. Just mountains of riffs being built up only to then come crashing down on your head while you're standing there being enveloped in sound. I've seen them once before and still don't know song titles but there are definitely some songs that stand out, huge riffs that sound like a goddamned glacier crushing everything in its path. So yeah, the band name fits. Excellent stuff. Check them out if you can. Just be prepared to be flattened by riffs.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]