Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 34 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
 Post subject: Re: Ye Olde Last Show/Next Show Thread
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:30 pm 

After having not been doing the whole live music thing for the past few years, this year has brought a slight re-birth.

Hit up Dead Meadow the other month and they were awesome. Going to Brant Bjork tonight. Then next Wednesday is The Obsessed/Karma to Burn/Lo Pan show and then in June will be Graves at Sea.

A slight exaggeration but I will have (almost) gone to more shows in this few month window than I went to the past 5 years cumulatively.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:03 am 

Adam, long time, no chat. Great to see you're still around!

Last show: I was given a couple tickets to a Mastodon/Eagles of Death Metal/Russian Circles show, so I checked it out for shits and grins. As expected, Russian Circles sounded massive, orchestral and beautiful. As far as instrumental bands go, they're a force to be reckoned with.

I've never liked the Eagles of Death Metal, and seeing them live did nothing to change that. Not my cup of tea, but the ladies seem to dig them.

The last time I saw the once-mighty Mastodon was sad as hell - so much so my friend who went with me fell asleep during their set. Sound was bad, zero energy, terrible set list and vocals were worse than usual. Much to my surprise, an apparently sober Brent Hinds & Co. put on a hell of a show this time around. The setlist pulled heavily from Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye, which was perfectly fine with me. The sound was spot on and clear. Lots of energy from the band. And their vocals were vastly improved. I'm not familiar with their new album, but the cuts they played really complimented the older stuff well. Glad I went to the show.

Next show: Pallbearer/Inter Arma/Gatecreeper. I enjoy Pallbearer, but I'll be going for Inter Arma. An absolute beast of a band live.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:44 am 

Last - Desertfest: Fantastic weekend. Started on Thursday with Iron Void and Wretch doing their trad doom thing. Highlights were numerous - Slo Burn, Lowrider, St Vitus, Scissorfight, Avon, Elephant Tree and Wucan.

Next - Ex Whitesnake bluesman Bernie Marsden on Friday

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:50 pm 

Fused wrote:
Last - Desertfest: Fantastic weekend. Started on Thursday with Iron Void and Wretch doing their trad doom thing. Highlights were numerous - Slo Burn, Lowrider, St Vitus, Scissorfight, Avon, Elephant Tree and Wucan.

Next - Ex Whitesnake bluesman Bernie Marsden on Friday

yes scissorfight were immense proper moshpit mentalism, that singer is one big bastard heavy as fuck both sonically & physically!!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:20 pm 

I was a bit 'meh' about them tbh, and that's with the benefit of amphetamines.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:12 pm 

Since my last post I went to Meat Puppets (amazing! show of the year so far), Truckfighters/Yawning Man, Brant Bjork/Royal Thunder and the Weedeater/The Obsessed/Karma to Burn/Fatso Jetson extravaganza. FINALLY got to see Fatso 17 years after my first time and they totally delivered and stole the very packed bill! That show will likely end up on my top five of the year.

NEXT - Strangeweather and some other local bands next Friday.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:10 pm 

^ Red, I thought the same thing when I recently saw The Obsessed/Fatso Jetson/K2B. Fatso Jetson was on fire. Phenomenal set. Not to say the other two bands were bad, but Fatso Jetson was incredible.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:52 pm 

LAST NIGHT - Meat Puppets / Mike Watt

TONIGHT - Mike Watt

I concur with MrRed, Meat Puppets were awesome. Really jammed out a bunch of their songs, they looked healthy (Cris has grown a beard so he doesn't look as haggard in the face as he did after doing time) and sounded great.

Mike Watt's band was good and they played more Minutemen material than I had seen him do on past tours, along with the usual Roky, Stooges and BOC covers among others. Seeing him again tonight for a headline gig.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:33 am 

I guess I haven't seen a show since the Weedeater/Obsessed/K2B/Fatso extravaganza. I was supposed to see Taake in Seattle last weekend, but they were denied entry into the country (thanks Trump!).

NEXT - Seeing Yngwie tomorrow. heh.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:13 am 

Last - Afghan Whigs in Manchester. Gig was originally in the city's cathedral, where they played last time) but moved last minute due to proximity to the bomb attack, so didn't have the grandeur of their last visit but a fine performance and extended line up with cellos and violins is a class act. The city wide minute's silence/minutes noise was dutifully observed and there was humour and little sermonising or heavy proclamations which can bring a gig down in such circumstances.

Next - Back for Jah Wobble and The Invaders of the Heart tonight. Yawning Man on Thursday.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:52 am 

LAST NIGHT- Extended Hell / Nosebleed / Memory Loss

TONIGHT- Guida / James Badfellows / Sick Bags

Saw Blue Oyster Cult last week, they were incredible and played three songs from their first album that had not been played in many years- 'She's As Beautiful As a Foot' first time since 2008, 'Transmaniacon MC' first time since 2006 and 'Screams' first time since 1973!! All in all 7 out of 10 songs from the first LP (45th anniversary) plus a bunch of other bangers- it's unreal that this world-famous band plays to crowds in the hundreds and does it up in the manner they do- highly enjoyable!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:59 am 

Yeah, the set list (on setlist.fm) is sick. From the Hopewell show:

Transmaniacon MC
Golden Age of Leather
Burnin' for You
Shooting Shark
The Vigil
ME 262
Before the Kiss, a Redcap
Then Came the Last Days of May
True Confessions
Tattoo Vampire
Godzilla
Buck's Boogie
(Don't Fear) The Reaper

Encore:
Stairway to the Stars
Screams
She's as Beautiful as a Foot
Cities on Flame With Rock and Roll

They're apparently celebrating the 45th anniversary of the first album by playing in it's entirety in London later this Summer. It bodes well for shows over the rest of this year!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:01 am 

LAST - After Yngwie, I saw Whores., and just Whores. because of a Facebook snafu with the promoter. Whores. were excellent!

NEXT - Seeing TOOL in Boise on Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:21 am 

LAST LAST LAST - TOOL in Boise. Really good!

LAST LAST - Roger Waters in Portland. Totally awesome. Played 2/3rds of Animals instead of Wall tunes, which was right in my wheelhouse. A one in a lifetime show for me.

LAST - IRON MAIDEN in Vegas. Mindblower! Best time I've seen them in the four times I've seen them. They really benefit from giving Bruce proper rest.

I can go many years without setting a foot in larger sports arena (not count baseball parks) and over the last three weeks I've seen shows in arenas in three consecutive weeks. Even in spite of the very high price tags, I think these shows are a great value for your entertainment buck. But be aware of who you're going to see! Don't go crazy and buy a ticket to Guns n' Roses!

NEXT - Unless things go very well tomorrow, I'll be working through the weekend (just got back from four days in Vegas), so there are a ton of shows I'll miss this weekend, so I'm guessing the next one is Federale next Friday.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:51 pm 

Last: Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets

Next: Judas Priest/Uriah Heep

Stoked to see Judas Priest for the first time,but even more stoked I'm going backstage courtesy of Phil Lanzon(Heep keyboardist)! Also looking more forward to seeing Uriah Heep for the first time as they rarely play the United States.

Also planning to catch KISS and The Who,and also hope to meet Weird Al!! \m/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:18 pm 

Last: Full of Hell/Primitive Man/Genocide Pact at Velvet Underground, Toronto - Full of Hell is on top of their game...crossover appeal that transcends what is by nature super uncommercial music in a way that reminds me of last time I saw Power Trip. Really great live show. Primitive Man is kind of one-note bludgeon-fest like being chained to a basement floor and beaten with a crowbar. Fun but limited. Genocide Pact - early Bolt Thrower worship played by young short hairs standing stone still...zero presence which is unfortunate because the tunes are pretty good

Next: Neurosis/Bell Witch/Deaf Kids

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:12 am 

Electric Wizard + Alastor in Stockholm tonight! Been a while since I last saw the Wizard, so I'm pretty psyched. Gonna be great finally seeing Alastor live as well!

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:22 am 

Last was Brant Bjork, Ecstatic Vision, & (local dudes) Brujas Del Sol
Next is Black Mountain, Majeure, and (not familiar with) Dommengang

I’m on track to see more shows in Oct than I have all year to date.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:16 am 

This past weekend I was at the Gloomy Days Festival in Linköping, Sweden. Some great, great shows; Conan, Belzebong, Ocean Chief, Domkraft, Alastor, Snailking, Negative Slug and a buncha others.

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 34 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34