Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Death Kiss WEMF - Volume One
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:38 pm 

“Death Kiss WEMF - Volume One” is a compilation EP of Boston bands put out by the internet radio show Death Kiss on WEMF. What we’ve got here are six tracks recorded by Glenn Smith at Amps vs. Ohms Studios and as far as I know all of these songs are exclusive to this comp. So let’s get to it.

Raw Radar War kicks it off with a typically brutal offering called “Pride of the Ignorant”. This is a brand new song, not on any of their other releases, and it delivers everything you expect from them. Sludgy down-tuned guitars, vicious vocals, rumbling bass and pummeling drums. It’s definitely a keeper and the stand-out track on this comp for me.

Shatner, featuring dudes from We’re All Gonna Die and Cocked ‘N Loaded, are up next with “Scram”, a catchy heavy rock song that highlights Jim Healey’s melodic vocals. Fans of the aforementioned WAGD or Black Thai should definitely dig this.

Il Mostro is some dudes from the Humanoids, and their song “Am I Not?” is another catchy heavy rock song, maybe a little more on the rock ‘n roll side of things rather than metal, but it definitely kicks and screams its way into your earholes.

Newish band Oxblood Forge delivers “OBF-Vultures”, which is more on the stoner-metal side of things with some screamed vocals. They played a cool Karma To Burn cover at the record release show and musically I would say they kind of fit into that style, but with vocals on top of the riffing.

Hepatagua is up next with a cover of the Smashing Pumpkins’ “Where Boys Fear To Tread”. These guys are a two-piece and make enough racket that you’d think there were more of ‘em in the band, but no, it’s just Aaron and Nate doing all the damage. I’m not that familiar with the original version of this song but I totally dig their version.

Wrapping it all up is Pripyat Is Lost, which is the solo project of Mario Travers of Raw Radar War. This is a 16 minute noise/ambient track called “Razrusheniye” which I really dug. It’s mainly a sound collage of air raid sirens, some talking and other noises but it kept my attention for the duration. This track takes up about half of the total running time of the CD but it’s worth it, in my opinion.

All in all this is a cool little comp showing off some of Boston’s current bands. It will be available on Bandcamp. Be sure to check out Death Kiss on WEMF as well. It's a weekly show on Fridays at 7PM on WEMF.

Bandcamp: https://deathkissvolumeone.bandcamp.com ... volume-one
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/deathkisswemf/

Post subject: Re: Death Kiss WEMF - Volume One
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:19 pm 

I'm gonna go with the Hepatagua track as my favorite on this comp.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]