Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]

Graveyard vs Witchcraft?
Graveyard 64%  64%  [ 9 ]
Witchcraft 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: Graveyard vs Witchcraft?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:56 pm 

Considering that Graveyard recently got back together, I though it was appropriate to reinitiate a discussion that I saw years ago on the main page.

Anyways, the title speaks for it self.. Go on!

Post subject: Re: Graveyard vs Witchcraft?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:35 pm 

Just combine them for the win.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:52 pm 

I never liked Witchcraft... saw them a couple times and they did nothing for me.
I liked Graveyard from the first time I saw them. I think I caught them about 8 times and enjoyed every show.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:17 pm 

Personally, I think Graveyard is fantastic, great rock band with everything such a thing needs to excel- great singing, playing, they didn't stay hung up on their excellent first album material, played songs live with different arrangements and lyrics, overall in my estimation they are superb.

Witchcraft had a lot of momentum several years back but have faded in their impact. I see Magnus posting shit on Facebook that really makes it look like he's a true freak with more to offer, but I can't say I've kept up with their last few albums, and they haven't toured in the US in a while as far as I know, and that what keeps me interested in a band.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:06 am 

Graveyard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:32 am 

I like turtles.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:14 pm 

Dylan Thomas wrote:
I like turtles.

Seconded.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:51 am 

Graveyard.

There are very few bands I would pick ahead of Graveyward, personally. Had not heard they got back together....that and my email that a new Colour Haze album is due just made my month.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:57 am 

Graveyard. But I'm bored with them too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:05 am 
Site Admin

metalchick666 wrote:
Graveyard. But I'm bored with them too.

This. I voted for Witchcraft on the strength of the self-titled alone, but it's been a while since they've put something out I was really interested in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:00 pm 

I think Witchcraft was sliding down hill quite a bit since the first record...but to my surprise the latest one rocks pretty hard. I haven't listened to Graveyard in quite a while, but generally kind of think of them as being really polished, the kids used to refer to it as sounding "commercial" ...not that Witchcraft doesn't sound like that...

Generally, I like my music a lot uglier than either of these bands.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:20 pm 

I thought "Nucleus" was great. Weird songs on that one and worth the price of admission for the obviously Maryland-y "The Obsessed" alone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:46 pm 

Did anyone notice they just merged?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:20 am 

Evildeadjay wrote:
I thought "Nucleus" was great. Weird songs on that one and worth the price of admission for the obviously Maryland-y "The Obsessed" alone.

I've been trying to think of how to respond to this without writing an essay. I liked the Witchcraft s/t a lot. They'd managed to capture lightning in a bottle, a young band with a terribly recorded first release that manages to turn that liability into an asset through sheer charm, urgency, and naked honestly. Hard to know where to take your music from there, and they struggled a bit over the course of the next couple albums to move forward as a result. Their sophomore and 3rd albums are both mixed bags for me.

Graveyard is a different story - a band with a solid, well produced debut and a shit hot live show, who followed that up with an even more explosive sophomore album. Honestly, I can't get into Lights Out, I dislike it immensely for many, many reasons that I won't bore you all with. They too had problems figuring out where to go from that impeccable second album. Innocence and Decadence was better, a return to form in some ways, though it lacked the energy and passion of those first two albums.

Witchcraft on the other hand, to me, they really found themselves with Legend, finally getting out of that retro proto-metal prison they'd build for themselves with that first release. Nucleus is also exceptional.

I know that these views and opinions aren't particularly popular ones, so I'll just say. I saw both bands live, Graveyard's first U.S. show (No it was not SXSW, they played two blocks from my house then went to SXSW with labelmates and local dudes Witch), which was amazing. I saw Witchcraft on The Alchemist tour, and they were pretty good. I preferred the Graveyard show.

I prefer Witchcraft overall at this point, as they're the band successfully taken more risks, grown more as a result, and now find themselves making truly engrossing and multi-dimensional music on Legend and Nucleus. Graveyard has staggered to a standstill, and....well, I'll always have Hisingen Blues.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:36 am 

I saw Graveyard open up for Witchcraft at the Bowery ballroom NYC and it was incredible. Witchcraft will always resonate with me a little more. The great thing about their discography is that some people, like my buddy Dylan, prefer the later albums while people like myself cherish the first albums.
I feel like that's where Magnus' heart resides because he chose, with his latest solo album, to go right back to the forests of fairies and castles:

Early Burning Saviours is equally as fey. After listening to them, I have to dig the brambles and milkweed seeds out of my bangs.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]