Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: 2016 Was A Great Year!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:49 am 

The Highlight is when I died in Orlando, hit by a car September 5th 2016, but continued to live in a fake reality reinforced by my memories of my typical viewpoint.

I also enjoyed the Shaky Knees Festival and the Okeechobee Festival.

How was your years?

Post subject: Re: 2016 Was A Great Year!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:31 pm 

The Mrs and I bought our first home together (she owned her own place when we met). We celebrated our first anniversary by flying to Honolulu, courtesy of her employer and the confernce they paid for me to accompany her to. I released an album that was the most actualized songwriting and recording I've ever done with two friends. Work and related higher education are giving me TMJ from stress in my jaw. I get to bitch about being over fed, over boozed, and having an old iPhone. I got a sweet Paul Kossoff shirt for Christmas. This year was pretty rad on my privileged cloud. With the artist rapture and all the civil unrest and disparity, life sucked for a lot of people.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:04 am 

For the most part, it was a pretty great year. A lot of people are moaning about all the famous people we lost, but it really doesn't effect me in my day-to-day. It's not like we lost Bowie in 1972 or Lemmy in 1982. Their legacies are already built and will last my lifetime at least.

My income has been increasing markedly over the second Obama term, in a stable position with a recession-proof employer, because a recession is coming, whether it's Trump's fault or not. I was able to do some decent trips this year; three times to Vegas, a few trips up to Washington, a trip to LA and two weeks back east, seeing mostly everything I wanted to in DC. And a WAY above average year for shows, even though I cut back from 2015, where I kind of went crazy. Reconnected with some old friends, which I needed to do.

The only real bummer is the realization that I'm entering the third chapter of my life; middle age. I lived pretty balls-to-the-wall the last 25 years, a lot more than most people, so that's ending. I largely sobered up the last nine months of 2016 and will hopefully carry that trend forward. The party days in the past were fun, but the income increases are a nice consolation.

I kind of feel bad for people who say 2016 sucked, because there has been a lot of opportunity the last couple years and I think dark days lie ahead of us all, due to the foolish choices of the USA electorate. 2016 could be the last "good year" any of us see for awhile. It'll only take one WMD attack (on USA soil, or launched by Trump) to lock down this nation into martial law for a generation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:08 pm 

My 2016 was good in terms of shows and entertainment. But it was lousy in terms of finances... I was unemployed all year, so I earned the least amount in 32 years (since I was 15!). The worst part was/is looking for work... it was kind of fun at first but it's been tiresome for the last year or so.

As Red said, celebrities dying decades past their prime have no effect on my life, so I don't bitch about that stuff.

Music-wise, it was a great year... lots of new music that I really dug.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:38 pm 

Hated '16. While the highs were good,the lows were definitely full of shit... It was both a very productive year, but a somewhat challenging year being on the radio,dealing with the media,etc... I guess on the positive tip I've learned not to trust people more lol. Bob Daisley was right on my last show,mainstream media's definitely full of assholes and lies.

But I feel much wiser/stronger now than before. Financially '16 was a better year for me surprisingly. I did get paid $1K to design someone's site logo and it has financed the printing of my upcoming comicbook. Also happy that Prop 64 passed.

Hated all the back to back celebrity deaths though... Hated the election,and the fact it seemed like none of the candidates were even good enough to vote for(they should have had the option on the ballot for "None of the Above")...Hated the fact that Sabbath is on their last tour ,and ended up not being able to see them as I planned over some BS... The 80's died in 2016!!!!! It sucked on that level and I hated last year for that,but glad its over now,and on to the next...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:00 am 

2016 had its ups and downs for me. I had a lot of fun, made a lot of terrible life decisions due to impending middle age, and also some very good ones. I made a lot of new friends. I did a lot of butt drugs.

I was momentarily sad about those we lost, though people die, and it's important for me to look forward rather than get caught up in nostalgia. There will be new generations of artists that I'll get into, that's how it always works.

All in all, I ended the year in a very happy and productive place, so I really have nothing to gripe about.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:49 am 

Life is good. 13 year anniversary this month at a very good paying, Union secure job. Not too far from having my ol' 1916 Bungalow paid off. Every year it's market value keeps going up and up. It's well over $500K now. Fat digits in my savings and work IRA accounts. It's amazing how quickly the money adds up after a divorce, innit?!? Keeping the extra weight off, drinking less, eating healthier and looking forward to hitting it harder and more often on my Cannondale road bike this Spring/Summer. Have an insane retail CD/LP collection. Have multiple dream audiophile-esque stereo systems to enjoy all those CDs & LPs on. Love life is kinda meh, but after all is said and done imho: Love life is kinda meh. Glad my one true passion has very little to do with human codependency. Plans for 2017 include putting a roomy sauna in the greenhouse. Have always wanted one. Along with all the other DE FACTO home improvement stuff that comes from owning a 100 year old home, i also have that to work on and look forward to for 2017!

The Trump victory butthurt has all been very entertaining. Heh. Like my life depends one fucking iota on what ass sits on the US throne. But just like JFK, Trump will shake things up. If he lasts a single term, color me surprised then.

Seems most of y'all are doing well. That's cool.

Last edited by libertycaps on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:15 am 

I have had a shit year but seeds are sown for things to get better.
May be some radical changes coming up in this trip around the sun, at least as far as these insignificant specks of matter around me are concerned.

It has had its moments though, and I suppose even the crises have been good calls to action for me to sort stuff out. Seen some good bands, had some good times.

Wishing you all a good rotation!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:38 pm 

^ likewise man, I hope that you all have a most excellent 2017 as well. If life has taught me anything, it's that this is all quite fleeting, and to enjoy the time that I have with you all here. Cheers, and here's to better daze for us all!!

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:50 pm 

J. Mascis tearing it up with Pearl Jam covering Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World" at Fenway Pahk. Really good time.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]