Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Reed Mullin-COC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:48 am 

I was on C.O.C.s website earlier, checking out tour dates and new album news and shit...when I saw this interview with Reed...and at the very end, he comes up with this really cool story about a Baltimore show back in the 80's. In case you haven't seen, I thought I'd share. I wonder if Wino recalls this? Ha.

I think that’s about all the questions I have. Is there anything else you would like to say?

I don’t know. Where are you at?

I’m in Maryland.

Back in the punk days, for some reason, not so much D.C. but Baltimore, the folks in Baltimore loved us. We used to play there all the time, and actually, the reason we got our first record deal was because of a show we did in Baltimore.

We were friends with the Slayer guys. This is like the early ‘80s, and they hadn’t really toured outside of California. They were fans of Eye for an Eye, and we would see them when they played out there. When they did their first American tour for Haunting the Chapel, they asked the promoter if COC could play in Baltimore at the Loft, and the guy was like, “Fuck yeah.” So it was the Obsessed and COC and Slayer. Like I said, it was their first tour. They had a U-Haul truck, and I think they had a Trans Am. That’s what they were touring in, a Trans Am and a truck.

Anyway, we came up early ‘cause we hadn’t seen those guys in awhile. And then closer to the gig time, the Obsessed showed up, and they saw the lineup. The Obsessed guys were bummed. They were like, “We’re not opening up for a fuckin’ punk band. What’s this all about? We’re not gonna open up for COC.” They said that in front of us and the Slayer guys. We were like, “Hey, it’s no big deal. There’s a line down the block. We can go on first. It’s no big deal to us. The place is gonna be packed.” But it made the Slayer guys mad, like, “Who the fuck are these guys?” I’m like, “Hey, don’t worry about it.”

So we ended up going on first, and we fuckin’ killed it, dude. It was like one of those popcorn poppers at the movie theater—people bouncing all the over the place, sweaty as hell punk rock show, super badass. When we’re loading off after the thing is done, the Obsessed are kind of loading on, and Slayer’s road crew block their way. And they told the Obsessed, “OK, you’re not gonna open for a punk rock band, but you’re not going on now.” They made the Obsessed play after Slayer! They were upset. They played to like six people. But this was before we knew the Obsessed. We’re friends with them now.

But after that, (Tom) Araya and (Dave) Lombardo and all them dudes—’cause we had put out our first record on our own, a DIY thing on our own label, Eye for an Eye—the dudes were like, “You guys are too good to be doing this. You need to be on a label. Let us get you signed to our label, ‘cause we know that our guy (Brian) Slagel will be into it.” We thought they were just being nice. Back then, having a fax machine was a big deal; my parents let me do all the COC business out of their office. So I gave them my parents’ fax machine number, and sure enough, that Monday morning—the show was on Friday—and that Monday morning, there was a contract from Metal Blade on my parents’ fax machine. That’s Baltimore right there, dude.

Post subject: Re: Reed Mullin-COC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:40 am 

That's a great story, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:23 pm 

Good read. Back in the pre-immediate social media butthurt 80's dayz ov yore....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:35 pm 

Cool story.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:49 pm 

Glad I saw COC open for Megadeth back in '95.

Had no idea the Obsessed had a little beef with Slayer lol. that's hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:16 pm 

Here's an audio with photos flyers and a few comments. There was a thread awhile back on a Maryland Doom page where people called out some of the people in the crowd, one was current Obsessed drummer Brian Costantino-

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]