Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Best gigs of 2016
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:44 am 

2016 was a year of great loss in both the musical and cultural worlds I have enjoyed over my lifetime, but I still managed to see some GREAT shows over the year and knocked out some more bucket list events that I never thought I would see. Here are the top five as I see it:

1. The Cure at Ridgefield Amphitheater in May:

When The Cure announced their tour early in the year and that it would include a small-ish venue in Las Vegas and would also be skipping PDX, I pounced on a ticket to Vegas as soon as possible. The show in Vegas was incredible and induced me into buying a scalped 14th row ticket for the show at Ridgefield, which was scheduled after I booked Vegas and roughly a month before the show. I'm not a die-hard Cure fan, but what I witnessed was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. I had no indication that they'd be THAT awesome and the Ridgefield show blew the Vegas one away in every measurable aspect. Really deep cuts, spanning their entire career in a show lasting over three hours with no real intermissions! Completely amazing and I am so thankful I jumped on this!!! They rank as one of the top 10-to-15 bands I've seen in my life.

2. Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman at Schnitzer Hall in November:

Two hours of flawless YES music from the third row! Simply amazing and I credit Trevor Rabin for making this show as good as it was by not only being an amazing, ripping player, but also by not playing politics and agreeing to only play three songs from his own "80's era" and allowing the group to largely explore their 70's material. We got most of 'Fragile' and four true YES epics (Perpetual Change, And You and I, Heart of the Sunrise and Awaken). By the end of the show, my eyes had welled with tears of joy, but also a bit of sadness, in that we are witnessing the window of this progressive era of music and level of virtuosity close.

3. VOIVOD at Dante's in June:

Like The Cure, I have always admired sci-fi thrasher's VOIVOD, but I have never been a diehard fan. The time I saw them at Satyricon in the late 90's was just "okay". What I witnessed at this show, at the edge of the stage in front of bassist "Rocky" was a completely revitalized band at the height of their powers, having the times of their lives during their third career act/arc! Just like The Cure, the set list was pretty much everything you'd want to hear, spanning their entire career. And their energy was just off-the-charts. FUN!

4. SLAYER, Testament and Carcass at Roseland Theater in March:

You could have colored me skeptical coming into this show. I had seen SLAYER six times in the height of their power in the late 80's-early 90's but watched the quality of the band decline over the last 20 years as Kerry King has assumed greater dominance over the band. What would they be like without Jeff Hanneman and Dave Lombardo and with a hobbled (from headbanging) Tom Araya? GODDAMNED AWESOME, that's what! With Gary Holt and Paul Bostaph in tow, they proved that they're pretty much still the machine they've always been live. Completely vicious and stunning in every way. I even checked out the album they were touring on afterwards (the first without Jeff) and was surprised that it was pretty good. Maybe I've been too tough on KK all this time. They are a lot more clinical and stoic than VOIVOD, but as far as the 80's metal goes, they are THE KINGS.

5. Discharge and EYEHATEGOD at Dante's in October:

Again, I wasn't expecting much out of this, but man this show was off-the-hook fun! The band calling itself Discharge these days was so tight and it was so cool to see those songs performed live. The guy they have singing now really sells it! A great frontman. And speaking of which, seeing EYEHATEGOD with Randy from LAMBOFGOD was like seeing the band 20 years ago. I never miss an EHG show and this was the best one since Joey passed away a few years back.

Other rippers - Stephan Pearcy of RATT, The Soft Moon, Lycus, Abbath/High on Fire, Tony Visconti/Woody Woodmansy playing oldest Bowie, John Carpenter X 2 (in PDX/NYC), Naplam Death X 2 (PDX/Vegas), Magic Circle/Iron Man in DC, SLEEP x 2 (DC/PDX), Migration Fest (Krallice!), Fabio Frizzi, SWANS x 2 (LA/PDX), Gorguts, Black Sabbath

Last edited by Mr Red on Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Best gigs of 2016
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:51 am 

SLEEP prolly fave. Buzzov*en was fun but kinda sloppy. The Obsessed was solid but a bit canned.
Don't have many regrets about 2016 shows. 2016 went by fucking fast. Missing Goatsnake def the biggest regret of 2015! Other than that, i see the shows i really want too. Pass on those that are just too expensive to rationalize. A fool and his money are easily parted. And really can't be arsed with BIG (bigger than The Roseland) stadium/theater type shows anymore. Diminishing returns.

Cool thread.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:07 pm 

Buncha good ones from 2016. Lotta old artists including Black Sabbath who were magnificent. As I have read Mr Red say, it's last call on a lot of these people, 2016 taught us that, gotta go check out the artists that you were ever interested in, in the future there will only be people pretending to be these groups!

(approximate chronological order)

VENOM INC
GRAVEYARD
SLAYER
TAAKE
PENTAGRAM
JOHN MAYALL
EARTHLESS
STEVE GRIMMETT'S GRIM REAPER
BONGZILLA
ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE
NAPALM DEATH
MELVINS
MDC
YAUTJA
RESIDENTS
ATOMIC BITCHWAX
SILVER APPLES
OBSESSED
GOBLIN
BUZZOV-EN
NEGATIVE APPROACH
SATURNALIA TEMPLE
MALIGNANT TUMOUR
VENOM
TASHA YAR
COUGH
DUNGEN
JIM LAUDERDALE
MAGIC CIRCLE
IRON MAN
NUKE
JOE WALSH
SWANS
CARCASS
ONEIDA
BLACK SABBATH
MUDHONEY
WHITE HILLS
YOB
CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN
LECHEROUS GAZE
TRUTH & JANEY
CANDLEMASS
VALKYRIE
KRAFTWERK
UNCLE ACID
TOM CARTER
KID MILLIONS/JIM SAUTER DUO
TELEVISION
VHOL
WILLIE NELSON
15 MINUTE ROADKILL EXPLOSION
FISTULA
BLACK SWARM
LA MUERTE
MONDO DRAG
CRYPT TRIP
LONELY KAMEL
GOAT
MARTIN BARRE
SHELLAC
SHONEN KNIFE
GHOST IN SALAD
NIK TURNER' HAWKWIND
ERIC BURDON & THE ANIMALS
DIAMOND HEAD
CELLULAR CHAOS
HORISONT
JORMA KAUKONEN
IMPALERS
BUCK GOOTER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:56 pm 

^Heh, your best-of list is a lot longer than the list of all bands most people saw in 2016.

Nice to see Crypt Trip on there! Also Magic Circle.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:28 pm 

MrRed and I were at that Magic Circle show, was also the debut of the four-piece Satans's Satyrs

I realized I forgot groups from the Maryland Doom Fest that ruled-

BANG
PLACE OF SKULLS
INTERNAL VOID
SPILLAGE
TOKE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:39 am 

I saw Toke twice last year and really dug them.

I just looked at the shows I saw in 2016 and enjoyed so many of them that I don't think I can make a best-of list.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:17 am 

Had a record year for bands seen, about 230. Best gigs:

Iggy Pop - Albert Hall, London
Monster Magnet/Orange Goblin - Forum, London
Chris Cornell - Bridgewater Hall, Manchester
Threshold - Islinglton Academy, London
Radio Birdman - Academy, Manchester
Yawning Man/Sons of Alpha Centuri - Borderline, London
Brandt Bjork/Black Rainbows - Garage London
Honky - Rebellion Manchester
Marillion- Academy Manchester

Best festival Sets
Twisted Sister - Bloodstock
My Sleeping Karma, Goat - Desertfest Antwerp
Sienna Root, CoC, Mothership - Desertfest London
Sygyria - Snuff-est, Bristol

Biggest disappointment - Rainbow. not a bad gig but under rehearsed and too quiet
Worst - Chuck Mosely

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:07 am 

For me these were the standouts among a very strong live year.

Neurosis 30th anniversary show, Amenra and Buried At Sea. April, Sunday at Roadburn, 013, Tilburg

Godspeed You Black Emperor. August, Coronet, London

Elder. September, Underworld, London

Slomatics. April. Desertfest London, Underworld

Colour Haze, Elder, Greenleaf and monkey3. October, Keep It Low Fest. Feierwerk, Munich

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:24 pm 

Buried at sea!
Oter hazy Roadburn memories - CHRCH, Zone Six, Mirrors for Psychic Warfare.

Also Kowloon Walled City (at last!), Vampillia (odd but made me laugh with joy).
Hogslayer, GNOD, Radar Men From The Moon, Asteroid, Oak and others at snuff'est

Fuck knows what else, have a look in the last/next thread if you're interested.

No EHG this year :-(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:10 pm 

Boris @ The Outer Space, Connecticut - Boris is always amazing - so I guess nothing has changed there.
Thee Oh Sees @ Warsaw in Brooklyn. Two drummers = twice the awesome.
Mars Red Sky @ St Vitus All Dayer - Great choice to headline. It was good show all around though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:03 pm 

My answers to these things tends be biased towards the end of the year as I can't remember shit.

1. OM at Mississippi Studios. Nothing more to really say about this. One of my favorite bands at a very intimate, great sounding venue.

2. McCoy Tyner at Revolution Hall. A legend, and his backing band ruled.

3. Monolord at Ash Street. Man, this was an even better show than I expected and I really dig this band.

4. The Descendents at Roseland. The night started with pre-beers, then great Mexican food and a quick stop at Mary's for more beers. Great night of old school punk all around.

5. No Statik and Pressing On at The Know. Was a pleasure to see one of the final shows at this great punk venue.

6. SLEEP at the Roseland. We stood in a really shitty place to watch them play, but fun nonetheless.

7. The Chris Robinson Brotherhood at Revolution Hall. This one ranks high because it a much needed drunken date might with my wife, though I did find myself really enjoying the jamband jammin by the jamband.

In 2016 I missed WAY more shows than I would have liked, though I know I am forgetting many. I don't think I saw YOB once. That's ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:51 am 

No Statik is cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:29 pm 

I'm not sure that I even went to any gigs that weren't local, I don't have as much interest in that as I used to.

I definitely saw King Buffalo in Florence MA. They were pretty darn good.

Fox 45 and Bastard Lord were also good when they rolled through this area. I'm trying to remember what else??

Too many butt drugs this year, too few brain cells.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:37 pm 

Ween
Janes Addiction
All Them Witches
Black Angels
Huey Lewis and the News
At The Drive In

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:57 am 

bau wrote:
I don't think I saw YOB once. That's ridiculous.

To the best of my recollection, they only played Portland three times in 2016. Stumpfest and the two NEUROSIS shows at the end of the year. I saw them at Stumpfest and had a ticket to the 21+ NEUROSIS show, but skipped it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:36 pm 

Mr. Red

Stephan Pearcy of RATT

I'm a little surprised by this one. I always liked his voice when those first albums came out...saw them live in '85...seems like it would be tough for him to carry it now a days.

Maybe this was good for nostalgic reasons?

I saw Tesla a couple years ago and that singers voice is unbelievably grating live...without all the studio trickery to put it in place.

I would assume Stephan Pearcy would also suffer live (for different reasons than the Tesla guy) with the studio trickery.

I heard a live Dokken broadcast from some European fest recently and I'm sure it would even make Dokken himself cringe if he had to listen back to himself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:55 am 

Lessee... I went to Portland for Yob/WM in Jan, saw Sleep and HOF this summer, went to Brooklyn for ObeliskFest which was fantastic, went to PLV, and ABQ for Uffomammut.

Productive!

For me. Every show I see is the best, cause I see stuff I travel to see I give it a bump.

This year is even better: Colour Haze./MSK in Germany I just did, PLV in vegas again, Descendants of Crom in pitts in Oct, Keep it Low in Munich in October..... I need some other one day events in the states to hit up - or I guess I could just go see some shows in Chicago.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:31 am 

OK, I'll get ahold of you next time I see Stephan Pearcy is playing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:07 am 

Hey, Pearcy was great. The thing is, I never saw RATT, but I saw some live footage and he did sound brutal in the 80's, but you remember those guys were touring and partying constantly back then, which wears on the singers the most. He just does fly-in weekend gigs now, I think that weekend he did Portland and some spot up in Tacoma. He sounded great to me.

It's kind of the same thing with Bruce Dickinson now. They only play a show every three days now and his voice is near studio quality. On Live After Death, they played like 320 shows or something on that tour and he can tell by that recording.

Apparently Pearcy, Warren DiMartini and Juan Couercier(?) beat Bobby Blotzer in court for the RATT name, so you'll be able to judge for yourself soon at a state fair near you! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:09 am 

Speaking of which, gonna hit Vegas this Summer for Maiden, as a birthday present to myself! Stoked.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:34 pm 

Mr Red wrote:

Apparently Pearcy, Warren DiMartini and Juan Couercier(?) beat Bobby Blotzer in court for the RATT name, so you'll be able to judge for yourself soon at a state fair near you! :)

I saw that. And i too never caught Ratt in the 80s, which I regret dearly because I think the first two records stand on their own. I said to my wife "Hey, I see RATT is touring soon and I'm hell bent on catching them" and she said "Oh, I'm fucking down to see RATT."
I think a lot of people have a soft spot for them, which usually means it will be a good show.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:55 am 

I'd need a lot of convincing to take on RATT. What's their best record?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:13 am 

the first two.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:06 pm 

I mainly just go to local shows with local bands these days. Some of which are pretty good, but I was struggling to come up with a national act that I had seen in 2016!

It was GZA last summer. Playing a smaller venue, solo. There was no air conditioning and he is 50 years old, but he never let up. He had an intensity and energy that very much surprised me. I've seen a lot of rap shows where the guys dick around, complain about the sound, etc, but he just took the gloves off and went at it for an hour plus with no break.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:22 am 

MadJohnShaft wrote:
I'd need a lot of convincing to take on RATT. What's their best record?

'Out of the Cellar' by far.

I thought for the longest time that 'Invasion of Your Privacy' was on par with it, and it kind of is songwriting/riff-wise, but a few years back during one of my RATT rediscoveries the production shift to a shittier/glossier sound really put me off of it. The drum sound especially drove me nuts. I like the EP and third album too, but they're both kind of flawed in their own ways. Out of the Cellar is the sweet spot.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next