Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 32 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ye Olde Last Show/Next Show Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:06 pm 

Was real cool to see you Mr Red after at least a decade! Just goes to show the connections we music freaks have is longer lasting that most of society nowadays!

LAST- Suppression / Dagger Moon last night

NEXT- Battlemaster / Nuke / Sauron tonight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:43 pm 

Mr Red wrote:

NEXT - Dragged into Sunlight, Primitive Man and Cult Leader on Wednesday.

DIS, expect intensity. Granted its not my usual scene but I was blown away by their set at Temples. Amphetamine helped.

Last - Conan and Sleep last week, few grumbles - Conan could have done with an opener and the fast bits were muddy, and some wankers kept 'moshing' through Sleep, but all told it was as good as you'd expect.

Next - Cosmic Dead on Wednesday, upstairs in a pub about fifty capacity.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:34 am 

dutch gus wrote:
Dragged into Sunlight expect intensity. Granted its not my usual scene but I was blown away by their set at Temples. Amphetamine helped.

LAST - Dragged into Sunlight last night. Yeah, that was REALLY intense! About what I expected, as I've been a fan since the first release. I don't remember how I got turned onto them, as it's been ages. They're pretty top shelf. They reminded me of a heavier/slower Mayhem. Kind of overall better on a whole. Good show, but sold out/packed as fuck in a tiny space. They play in near total darkness, so I could only see about 25% of the show.

NEXT - probably dalek on Saturday. If I don't go to that, it'll probably be Inter-Arma and Withered on Wednesday.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:01 pm 

Next: SLEEP @ The Roseland!
Finally getting around to see this band.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:25 am 

LAST - Hit the first Migration Fest up in Olympia last weekend. Three days, 24 bands hosted by the 20 Buck Spin and Gilead Media labels. Good fest, I ended up catching 18 bands total. Krallice were my favorite band by far, but I also really enjoyed Yellow Eyes, Christian Mistress, Magic Circle, Full of Hell, Mizmor, VHOL and Thou. I really only saw maybe two acts that I thought were kind of bunk. A good addition to the fests the PNW hosts, although it wouldn't surprise me if they hold in Wisconsin next year, which is Gilead's home turf.

NEXT - Might hit the collaborative set with The Body & Full of Hell at The Know tomorrow. If not, then probably SWANS.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:15 am 

^Nice!
Magic Circle are one of my favorite bands of the last 5 years.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:45 pm 

Last - that Cosmic Dead gig, was a strangely political psych set. Dead did what the dead do. Early finish and afterparty of odd electronics and psych along the road from the gig but ducked out once they were off stage and dashed home to do bedtime with the bairn.

Next - Minsk and Kowloon Walled City (and Bossk and Wren) in a fortnight. Sure I've seen Minsk before but can't think when, main draw for me is KWC but I'm having to bury any hope they'll play Turk St material (mind you they played Turk Taylor and Jones only three years ago). Anyone know what's on the set list this euro tour? Caught Bossk at Temples a couple of years back but I was at absolute saturation and they didn't make much impression. Keep missing Wren in Bristol and they sound interesting so going to make sure I'm there shortly after doors.
Got to stay fairly sober as I'll be straight on my bike after the gig to ride across London and catch the last train home.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:41 pm 

ron wrote:
^Nice!
Magic Circle are one of my favorite bands of the last 5 years.

Yeah, I'm fortunate that I'm a west coast guy that has seen this band twice in the last two months. I also saw them with HH Word in early July when I was visiting DC.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:56 am 

LAST - Saw SWANS twice. In Los Angeles and Portland. Awesome as always, though I have to admit missing multi-instrumentalist Thor Harris. Michael Gira is supposed to be disbanding this version of the band after this touring cycle, but I heard that this cycle might be going on for awhile.

NEXT - Hitting the "Eternal Warfare" fest on Saturday. Going for DISPIRIT, but will be seeing a bunch of other highly acclaimed black/death metals bands (Mortuary Drape, Vorde, Predatory Light, Black Fucking Cancer).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:49 pm 

Last - Yawning Man and Sons of Alpha Centauri, London
Next - Snuff-est - 2 dayer with Deville, Asteroid, Belzebong, Sigirya - Bristol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:28 pm 

See you there!
You local?

Last - Wren, Bossk, Kowloon Walled City, Minsk. That was a corker. Wren really impressed me despite the challenge of early doors, cold room and my being sober. They show that all this 'post' type music doesn't have to be post-heavy. Not impressed by Bossk tbh. KWC were fierce, not a set of Turk St hardcore type stuff but I was happy regardless. Minsk surprised me by matching that, somehow I expected more atmosphere and less crush but it was metal as fook. Short sets all round I think but meant I had time to cruise back to the station and get the last train home. Got in at 2am still buzzing.

Looking forward to the Snuff Lane thing in five days.

Last edited by dutch gus on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:39 pm 

Quote:
NEXT - Hitting the "Eternal Warfare" fest on Saturday. Going for DISPIRIT, but will be seeing a bunch of other highly acclaimed black/death metals bands (Mortuary Drape, Vorde, Predatory Light, Black Fucking Cancer).

How was Dispirit?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:01 pm 

Last: Kiss

Next: Clutch, Zakk Sabbath

St Vitus, The Skull, and our old moderator and reviewer in Witch Mountain

High on Fire, Meshuggah

October is beautiful. This is the nicest place to live in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:12 am 

Vanrocker wrote:
Quote:
How was Dispirit?

Killer of course! One of the best metal bands in existence right now. I came home with three Dispirit cassette tapes. I also really dug Vorde and Arizmenta. That fest was a really good time.

LAST - BLACK FUCKING SABBATH on Tuesday! I enjoyed the Ronnie James Dio reunion shows enough that I didn't want to sully my memory of them, but I ended up caving when I found a 14th row seat the night before for face value (about $110). Glad I went. It was the fifth time seeing Ozzy and he sounded the best he has since 1984 Bark at the Moon tour. They essentially stuck to the first three albums, which was charming, almost "cute" in it's own way. The drummer was fine. He had chops, but not Bill's swing, which is really evident in those early recordings. I never thought I'd experience a Summer where I saw two great shows in that incredible amphitheater. This show paled in comparison to The Cure show that opened the Summer, but whatever. In a year where we've lost Lemmy, Bowie and Prince, seeing Ozzy, Iommi, Geezer and Robert Smith end it all at the very top of their respective games is mandatory!

NEXT - There is stuff I'm interested in over the next couple of weekends, but the next for sure is Fabio Frizzi in a couple of weeks, who is only playing like half a dozen shows or something.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:21 pm 

Hrh doom v stoner fest in Sheffield UK.
Orange goblin Candlemas raging speedhorn plus more.

Free ticket so that's nice!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:11 pm 

I flew into St. Louis earlier this week for work/Inter Arma. If there's a tighter band on the planet right now, I haven't heard them. Incredible musicianship, crystal-clear sound, and one of the most versatile vocalists in metal. Super nice dudes as well. Go see them if they come to your town.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:36 am 

I've still never checked them out at all, getting lots of praise round here.

Last - Snuff Lane all day thing, highlights were GNOD (the death of all music), hogslayer (deep dark uk sludge), radar ment from the moon (I even had a dance to some particularly motorik bits) and Asteroid who rocked my stronk head right off with groove.

Next - Yob/Black Cobra on Friday. That's a strong one-two and I look forward immensely to the pummelling it implies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:37 pm 

heavythisaxe wrote:
I flew into St. Louis earlier this week for work/Inter Arma. If there's a tighter band on the planet right now, I haven't heard them. Incredible musicianship, crystal-clear sound, and one of the most versatile vocalists in metal. Super nice dudes as well. Go see them if they come to your town.

very cool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:14 pm 

^ I saw Inter Arma two weeks after seeing Cobalt live. Cobalt was great, but those Inter Arma dudes are the definition of "next level shit." That fucking drummer...dude played the entire show without a break...and he is one busy dude behind the kit. Jaw dropping talent in that band.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:23 am 

Last:
Conan at "Ungdomshuset" in Copenhagen. Eighth time seeing them and always a pleasure, even though i miss the old drummer. The new guy is too much of a "regular metal drummer" and lacks the small fills that the old one had.

Tonight:
The best Finland has to offer (except for Profetus)...
Oranssi Pazuzu / Dark Buddha Rising / Atomikyla / Nyos.
Especially looking forward to Atomikyla. They were brilliant at Roadburn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:31 am 

Wow...I'm jealous Morck...Oranssi Pazuzu, Dark Buddha Rising and Atomikyla on the same bill...I'd love to see Oranssi Pazuzu live in the states.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:17 pm 

Saw them at Roadburn after the first (excessively strong) joint in about six months.

Blew my poor mind for two or three songs, then started playing some sort of tired old Deep Purple riff and the vibe fell away!
God knows what their set really sounded like, should probably check out the audio stream.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:40 am 

Last: YOB/BC. no local support and early gig which gave BC a cold start really early, which perhaps accounts for lukewarm feeling in the crowd. However I found that if I got right up front there was loads of guitar coming out of the stage amps that seemed missing from the PA and there was space to thrash out. Tight and intense as ever.
Yob seemed on jolly rock-party form, only grumble is they could have dropped Marrow for something more fierce but then there were plenty people excited to hear it. Closed with a smashing Burning The Altar.

Next: Elder tonight. It's a great bill with Goram, Elephant Tree and Cough but not going to be able to make it for doors... So long as I'm there for Elder I'm happy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:56 am 

LAST LAST LAST - Fabio Frizzi in this town's historic 35/70 mm movie theater. This was cool as hell. I'm not a geek over his soundtracks as much as John Carpenter, but he definitely is a better showman that JC is and has a much firmer grasp on the cinematic quality of live music. Not religion, but cool. It is really radical that this genre is making a huge comeback right now.

LAST LAST - DISCHARGE/EYEHATEGOD at Dante's last Saturday. Really goddamned fun show! I got in about five minutes before EHG started. They have Randy from LAMBOFGOD filling in on this tour as apparently Mike IX has life-threatening health issues. Randy, who I somehow thought was a total poseur before this show, was basically the BEST fill-in they could have gotten. The dude was totally channeling Mike, albeit much more METAL and loud, so it wasn't a complete fit. The drummer really doesn't have Joey LC's swing down yet either, but this was basically the best EHG show I've seen out of the four since Joey passed away. DISCHARGE were totally killer. I was expecting lameness since it was only one original member (guitar), but they gave me pretty much everything I was wanting. The guy they got shouting the lyrics REALLY carries it all well! Perfect really.

LAST - SURVIVE/MAJEURE on Tuesday at Holocene. I went to see MAJEURE, who is Tony from ZOMBI and his set was really cool, albeit really short (30 minutes). Such a killer drummer! SURVIVE is basically the band that put the soundtrack together for the Netflix hit series "The Stranger Things" and it seemed weird to me that they sold out a room full of millenials in a day playing a bunch of Tangerine Dream/Vangellis covers, but what do I know?

NEXT - GORGUTS/Intronaut/Brain Tentacles on Sunday!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:47 am 

Mr Red wrote:
as apparently Mike IX has life-threatening health issues.

Is it that bad? Thought he "just" had som mental issues. Doesn't sound well.
But amazing that the LOG guy can fill the space - hopefully just temporarily.

Last: The Finnish gig. Was just as amazing as i hoped for. Atomikyla really is the perfect mix between Oranssis spacesounds and Dark Buddha eternal darkness. But all four bands did a reallly great job. A little too mich with four bands on a weekday though. Had to leave the last 20 minutes of Oranssi in order to function at work the next day.

Next:
Fistula, Grime, Cacus at Loppen, Christiania tonight.
First time in Europe for Fistula (except Roadburn one-off). Expecting a powerful sludge show in the Eyehategod vein.. Great support bands as well.

Next Next: Blood Axis and Vril Jäger tomorrow.
A Neofolk show from time to time, can be really great. This time with a danish debut show from Kim Larsens (Black Wreath, Of the wand and the moon) new side project Vril Jäger. Exciting to see what he has come up with this time.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 32 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next