Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 56 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: fave cheap or "uncool" gear?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:24 am 

dod stereo phaser, noisey as hell.....very warm though

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:10 pm 

Let's revive this thread Creedence.

Gotta say that the best playing and sounding guitar out of my axe's (Fender, Epi, Gibson, B.C. Rich) is, and always has been, my inexpensive Warlock. Can't remember the year, around the turn of the century. It's a Warlock NJ with Widow headstock, MIK. Brand new with case from Musician's Friend somewhere around $400+ back then. Actually traded back a sweet playing Bich with silent passive EMG's in order to get the Warlock.

It's the ONLY guitar that I haven't upgraded with anything. The action is the lowest of anything I've ever played, no nasty ass buzzing frets or weak output but high feedback pickups like my Gibby and Epi's, the pickups are LOUD AS FUCK with minimal unneeded feedback. Passive as well, so no damn battery worries, the double locking Floyd Rose (licensed) vibrato doesn't throw the G string out of whack (like the Fender does), never had a problem with the tuners, pots or switch. The only concerns are that it tends to be neck heavy, so I use a leather strap and it's big and clunky. I must have hit that headstock on my mic a million times. Oh, and it's a DEATH METAL guitar, so y'know, the short-haired, bearded hipsters just don't get it's beauty.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:23 am 

I got a lot of cheap, but very usable gear. My Musicman HD130 is loud as hell and I got it for $300. I have a few cheap pedals that sound great. Dod FX90 delay(actually analog), Dod FX75C Flanger sounds great. My favorite mid-boost overdrive so far is my $30 Bad Monkey. Keeps staying on the board. I've used some GFS pickups in the past and have been surprised.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:12 am 

the prole wrote:
Sovtek Mig 50 head

nothing uncool about that head. and not really that cheap any more either.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:01 pm 

grizz wrote:
the prole wrote:
Sovtek Mig 50 head

nothing uncool about that head. and not really that cheap any more either.

hahaha, true and true. Back in 2011 when I first posted that though it was still pretty cheap. I still have it BTW ;) FROM MY COLD DEAD HAANNNNNNNDSSS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:58 pm 

favorite uncool toy. the 10 watt 2x10 fender vaporizer with independent spring reverb tank.

edit: IDK, maybe the 2watt greta is even less cool. I modded mine with a handle to carry (fancy drawer pull from home despot) and put in a switch to turn off the speaker and run the output thru an 8ohm dummy resistor because the speaker plays at all times in stock configuration (except external speaker when connected) to keep the amp safe under any operating conditions I guess

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 56 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3