Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 31 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ye Olde Last Show/Next Show Thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:08 pm 

The last was EHG (special guests added on last-minute) with Graves at Sea and Order of the Owl (frmr Zoroaster dude). It was every bit as awesome as you'd suspect.

Next is COC (with Pepper again!). Week after that is the Obsessed with Karma To Burn and Bitchwax. What year is it again?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:22 pm 

kokojones wrote:
Week after that is the Obsessed with Karma To Burn and Bitchwax. What year is it again?

Depending on the last year you saw any of those bands, there may only be one member in each band you recognize.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:46 pm 

ron wrote:
kokojones wrote:
Week after that is the Obsessed with Karma To Burn and Bitchwax. What year is it again?

Depending on the last year you saw any of those bands, there may only be one member in each band you recognize.

Please say Wino & Guy. Planning on going in May.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:27 pm 

The Obsessed is now the same band as Spirit Caravan. Yes, Wino.

KTB only has the guitarist- Will. Unfortunately, I think the rhythm section is what made the band.

TAB has bassist Chris Kosnik. The drummer (Bob from Monster Magnet) and guitarist (Finn from Core) have been around for years, but aren't the originals.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:29 pm 

Third from LAST - Stumpfest three weeks back. Had a weekend pass, but only managed to make it out for one night + Black Cobra, the last band on Friday. YOB totally owned it from what I saw. They played the entire 'The Unreal Never Lived' album.

Second from LAST - Tony Visconti and Woody Woodsmansey playing old Bowie hits. The rhythm section from 'The Man Who Sold the World' opened playing that entire album, then an hour of Bowie hits up to 1973. Visconti had some cool stories about working with Bowie back in the day, and apparently Bowie had endorsed this show before he died. The original TMWStW lineup was fired by Bowie's manager after the album was released and this tour is the first time most of the songs have been performed live. It was really cool.

LAST - NAPALM DEATH and Melvins a couple weeks back. Sold out show. Missed Melt Banana, but it was a great show; especially as far as NAPALM DEATH went. They always just fucking KILL!

NEXT - The Cure in Vegas on Thursday. This will be the smallest place they play on this tour (3,000 capacity) and I have GA floor tickets.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:54 pm 

Saw The Obsessed last Friday and it was excellent. Great selection of tunes including a healthy dose of Spirit Caravan material. I highly recommend going.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:43 am 

H. H. Word wrote:
Saw The Obsessed last Friday and it was excellent. Great selection of tunes including a healthy dose of Spirit Caravan material. I highly recommend going.

Saw 'em last night... I was happy to hear Retroman, because my favorite SC songs are the ones Sherman sings. But, I was really bummed to not hear Inside Looking Out. Yeah, my favorite song of theirs is a cover.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:00 pm 

Saw The Obsessed last night in Richmond, they were excellent again and mixed the songs up, they did "Sea Legs" which they didn't play in DC.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:11 pm 

Faaack, have I really not been out since Roadburn?

Next - hopefully Ten Foot Wizard and Nomad on Saturday, missed Bohren und der Club of Gore tonight due to parenting... Meh.

Last - ROADBURN
Mantra Machine in the cul de sac, only band I'd see there all weekend, nice place though. Happy mellow Dutch psych. Why don't we get bands like that in the Uk? Probably because we're a load of miserable fuckers oppressed by the state and full of cheap cider.
Usnea in the green room, doody doom with not quite enough happening, sorry guys. Was big and heavy mind.
Scored some drugs - thanks Frobbert! Had what was supposed to be a low key skunk joint and went to see Oranssi Pazuzu, got there early and nearly spun out while waiting. Thn they started, Fuckinghell it was intense. Tripped out on harshpsych for two songs and then they launched into something that killed the vibe totally and we went to see Converge.
First four or five tracks of Jane Doe were blistering but we opted out to get stoned. Didn't get into Gomer Pyle and went to see Zone 6. Well and truly tripped out by this point, cheers Zone 6!
Made it front and centre for CHRCH, well worth the hype. Really pleasing doom session and given I'd been up since five am pretty fucking good going.

Next day in time for Mondo Drag - dug it but bit too laid back, I needed to get on it. Repulsion stepped it up a bit! We went to see Death Alley and I got grumpy at the cheesy frontman, was that only half six in the evening? With the dead faffed around for a bit, and were plainly not most of the proper Electric Wizard line up, but nevertheless I enjoyed some doom as it sort of ought to be. Hills next, again supercool but too chilled. I need my psych revved up a notch. Also too much synth and not enough guitar gawddammnit! What happen next? I think we got REALLY stoned and saw Black Moon Circle and zone 6 again. Fuck, well stoned.

Next! Ummmm... Brothers of the sonic cloth - good tone, good vibes, songs meander a bit. Best parts turned me on in a Yob way. Got in for a good spot for Beastmaker and I'm so glad we did, that was a set that put a smile on my face, even through three days of exhaustion and THC overdose. Caught some of blood Moon but were pretty much treading water before Neurosis. I won't write up a satisfying account of that, others have no doubt.

Sunday - oh fuck Mirrors for Psychic Warfare were the bassiest thing ever, I like. My brain by Sunday, not sure it was the right venue for that music, but it good. Jakob, ok, got wasted for Amenra. Whose set again I have next to no memory of, same as from Temples. It was serious, intense, heavy. Visuals were nice. *shrug*
Oh yeah then Neurosis played agin. Both sets were a treat, still treated with the seriousness tat they bring to the craft but visibly having fun at times (despite unheard of technical difficulty!) and crushing in all their aspects. I like the crust punk blast as much as the heaviness of Distill. It's something when you can chuck The Tide into the set and it feels like a breathing space.

Then Buried At Sea played, I was in prime position, all collapsed in on us and it was GOOD.
Last ditch Death Alley set in the cul de sac? Fuck that, I just saw migration happen.

Mega thanks to Ian, wish I'd not been so tired.
Coffee machine is my friend.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:34 pm 

Last: Israel Nash
Next: Brutus!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:51 pm 

Last night - Nomad, Pist, Ten Foot Wizard. Caught all three, rocked up about thirty seconds after Nomad got going - nice sludgy stuff. Pist were fun, and 10ft very jolly, I was well drunk. 10ft do the sleazy cheesy thing like Death Alley but don't make me dislike them in the same way. Bloody Bristol though, three ace out of town bands, pay what you want, Saturday night and about ten people turn up. Went back to an old friend's afterwards and staggered home at 4, not been too bad today really although I'm ready for sleep now.

Next - id like to catch Wren on Friday but it seems unlikely. In which case probably next is some folk band at a festival up in the Cambrian mountains.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:45 pm 

LAST-
Silver Apples (early)
Zombi (late)

NEXT-
The Body

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:40 am 

LAST - The Cure show in Vegas a week ago now. Fucking great! They played 32 tracks, about three hours. I bounced between my seat and the balcony and the general admission floor. Such a great band. I'm contemplating seeing them again on Saturday.

NEXT - As mentioned above, maybe The Cure, but if not then The Obsessed/Karma to Burn tour dealio.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:24 pm 

LAST - The Obsessed 'n Karma to Burn solid as Rock. Woefully under-attended compared to the Y2K era of yore. Ran into Oatmeal Steve, which was cool.

NEXT - No definite plans yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:23 pm 

Last: Dick Dale (!).

Next: Opening for Red Wizard (CA).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:54 pm 

Nice run of shows over the past month.

COC/Clutch/LOG: COC was much tighter than when I saw them last year. They're back in the groove w/ Pepper. Hearing "Seven Days" live never gets old. Clutch was great as usual, but the setlist was a bit of a letdown (hardly any older material). I expected to hate LOG, but I walked away pleasantly surprised. Whoever their rhythm guitar player is - dude is a beast.

Honky: Typically great show from these guys with Trinidad Leal (!) behind the kit. I gotta catch up with Pinkus before the show, which is never a dull convo.

The Obsessed/Karma to Burn/Sierra: Sierra was a big fat "meh." Karma to Burn still do their thing better than most. The Obsessed/Spirit Caravan incarnation was incredible. They played a couple new songs that sounded very promising. "Sodden Jackel" for the win.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:09 pm 

Over the LAST month - Saw The Cure twice, the second time being one of the top 20-25 shows I've seen in my life! Both times they played for three hours, around 34 songs and the PDX setlist was impeccable! They play with one of Bowie's old guitarist, Reeves Gabrels, who just tears it up. Really exceeded any expectation I had coming in. Also went to Seattle and saw Aelter and Geist, both hipster doom bands and then The Obsessed the night after, who were great. Last Friday I saw VOIVOD who tore the roof of the place! Good month!

NEXT - John fuckin' Carpenter tomorrow!!! Super stoked on this! This half-a-year has been amazing so far!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cure/ ... effeb.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:19 pm 

LAST- Raised hell last night... 3 separate shows:

grind : Triac / D.O.C. / Durian / Buzzard Dust
punk : Bad Eric / Mad Existence / Sinister Purpose
dark : Shadow Age / Manzara / Unmaker

NEXT- tonight - Jim Lauderdale

Maryland DOOM Fest this weekend!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:15 am 

LAST - John Carpenter a week ago. Hell of a cool show. I had third row seats and enjoyed it although a lot of people correctly asserted that Carpenter isn't much of a live performer. He readily admits he is much more comfortable behind the camera and when a 68 year old guy performs live in front of an audience for the first time, there is bound to be some awkwardness. It was still FUN (people can knit-pick) and I'm glad to be seeing the show again in a couple weeks in NYC.

NEXT - SLEEP and Windhand in Washington DC on Sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:02 am 

Last - discounting the folk fest see the Nomad gig above. Although there was a band in the barn with a banjo player in a (the) Melvins shirt.

Next - outside chance I'll make a local HC gig tonight, failing that The Cosmic Dead next week. Hard times so will be just right to trance out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:20 pm 

I really would like to see The Cosmic Dead. I love that band. I was listening to them last night.

Have fun at the show, and trance out for me as well!!

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:22 pm 

Not wanting to brag but I've seen them a good few times now, never disappointed. I'm always surprised putting on their recorded output that it's not nearly as METAL as they come across live.
Anyway it seems I got overexcited because they're not playing for about three weeks still, on the other hand that may make my NEXT gig Sleep and Conan.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:04 pm 

Last few:
Radio Birdman - Great band, but played to a near empty venue
Rainbow - Richie Blackmore returns to rock, decent gig let down by an underpowered sound.
Gary Clarke Jr - good when he's on the money, but too much watered down r'n'b veering into Lenny Kravitz territory.

Next - Supersuckers on the 21st

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:30 pm 

Last show: Sleep/Windhand, Portland Maine
Next show: Inter Arma, Allston, Mass
"
hey y'all, this is my first post as XPRO1. Long ago I was "more-feedback!"
Hi!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:34 pm 

Hey, how's it going more-feedback!?

NEXT TO LAST - Satan's Satyrs, Magic Circle, Iron Man, Crazy Bull a week ago at The Pinch in Washington DC. Fucking stacked bill in a basement of a bar in the middle of DC. Every band was excellent and definitely a nice surprise for me to see Iron Man in their backyard, as I just found out about this show a few days beforehand by noticing a handbill stapled to a lightpole. Met the legendary HH Word who got me back to Virginia in one piece, albeit a bit bloodied. Thanks man, I owe you!

LAST - John Carpenter at PlayStation Theater in Times Square NYC. The show was great, better overall than the Portland show as Carpenter has gotten a bit looser as a live performer. I probably didn't need to go to this, but this was announced and my ticket purchased well before the larger tour of the USA (and Portland) was announced. I also got to meet Richard Christy from the Howard Stern show and who drummed in Death and he was a total quality guy as you would expect.

NEXT - Dragged into Sunlight, Primitive Man and Cult Leader on Wednesday.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 31 of 34   [ 844 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next