Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 64 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: True Detective
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:17 am 

watched EP 4 last night.....good action ending for sure. I still don't see the depth coming together overall though? 4 episodes in?

I revisited EP 1 of season one over this past weekend. Holy shit, I can't believe how good even the first episode is. It's like night and fucking day to season 2.

If season 2 continues to vague along....I'd almost call this a pretty decent let down. How is the first season so brilliant, and than this??

Of course I'll keep watching though

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:21 am 

Yeah, me too.

I remembered that Episode Four was the big flurry of action/violence also in Season One, so I ended up watching it over again for shits/giggles and man, it is stark how much better that season was than this one. It almost makes me wonder if HBO will even bother to renew it, which would have been unthinkable for me before this season started.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:58 am 

losing my patience with this season. Shit is going no where. Started to think over this past weekend....if this season doesn't change, it could be the most drastic drop off from 1 amazing first season to such a clunker of a second season. I couldn't even think of something to compare too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:08 am 

I actually thought the two month jump forward propelled the story unlike we've seen yet this season, making it the best episode yet, following what was the best episode up to that point before it. Still it is a bit ridiculous that Ray had to beat-up/kill(?) Rick Springfield's doctor to figure out that Caspere was black-mailing high society types via the sex-parties and that the Mayor/Mayor's son are also knee-deep in it.

They also telegraphed that those Mexicans Frank turned away at the bar are going to cause BIG problems for him. It's weird how obvious and clumsy thing are this season after the first was so subtle and subversive.

Wikipedia says HBO signed Nic Pizzolatto to a two-year extension after the first season's episode debuted, so apparently we'll get another season of this unless HBO decides to completely bury it, which I guess is their prerogative.

The new season of Ray Donovan has started out pretty strong at least...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:44 pm 

Boy, the sure packed a lot of retarded shit in episode six. This season is beyond retrieval. At least it is getting close to being over...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:33 am 

I feel asleep about 20 minutes into last nights episode...but the exchange between Collin Farrell and Vince Vaughn early on was antic climactic to say the least. What was expected to be some kind of important moment in the series was a meh letdown.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:30 am 

Episode #7 was the best of the season, imo, although Woodrugh picking the exactly wrong exit in the series of tunnels underneath Los Angeles = LOL.

Even if the finale somehow ends up being really good, I'd grade this season a C+. And that's following the A grade I'd give the first season (the finale in that one knocked it down from an A+).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:20 pm 

I agree about episode 7, although Blake unloading all of those plot resolutions was a bit lazy.

I think the writing being wasted on scenery chewing monologues for its actors instead of conjuring a coherent plot is this seasons undoing.

It's not as bad as some, but not to the same caliber as S1 (and barely good enough for HBO).

That being said, I gotta hand it to Rachel McAdams. She's been the most impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:17 am 

Personally, I'd give the Purple Heart to Vaughn. He has made his character semi-believable and sympathetic in spite of the corny character development and dialogues.

I'm thinking it more a case of them striking lightning in a bottle with MacConguhey and Harrellson in the first season with their long discussions and Pizzolatto shot his wad in the first season. You hear a lot of bands cite that you have your entire life to write your first album, and then comes the hard part with trying to repeat/beat it in six-twelve months after that with your second album. And so on...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:53 pm 

Yeah, the band analogy is well put. I like they didn't try to be like the last season.....But they could've tried a little. There are some comparisons, but I just didn't find the Illuminati sex party all that shocking when the 1st season had that video tape of the pagan swamp cult.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:51 am 

What an unfulfilling finale....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:39 pm 

Yeah, it was a complete stinker. Appropriate, as how the series had gone up to that point. The momentum and (somewhat) decent eps #6 & 7 gave me some false hope for the finale, but it ended about as contrived and corny as it deserved to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:07 am 

final episode was meh to the point where I couldn't stay awake to finish it, and had no regrets about fading off.

mind boggling how the first season could be absolute perfection at many points....and this was a steaming pile of cocks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:13 pm 

Can't think of another TV show that had such a drastic drop in quality. Such a transcendent first season, such a catastrophic second season.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 64 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3