Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Magic Circle/Mos Generator/Elder - AS220 3-6-2015
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:20 am 

Don't go out much anymore. Part of it's money-related and trying to be a responsible single source of income to a family of four, part of it's being an old and tired corporate dad, and all of it's none of your goddamn business and if I want to spend my Fridays on the couch, falling asleep in front of a movie that's exactly what I'm going to fucking do. YOU'RE NOT MY DAD!

Ahem.

But apparently once a year I'll go hang out with JJ and drive too far to see a show during the cold, winter months. Last year it was Ogre in Portland. Last night it was Mos Generator and Elder in Providence. And like last year's excursion, it was a great choice, wretched amount of time driving and general fatigue notwithstanding.

First up was Magic Circle (actually, first up was my wicked sweet Middian t-shirt getting props from Rozamov's bassist). One of the many "heard about 'em but never heard 'em" bands out there, they're a five piece with a couple of obvious hardcore lifers (singer and bassist, primarily) that decided that it's better to slow down and find the Sabbathian groove. Which they did. Rather well, too. First song was a brand new one and set the tone for the rest of their set - slow, moody part coupled with fast chugga chugga thick-as-a-brick riffs, all steeped in 70s lore. Singer can sing too. Last night I was thinking Candlemass but this morning I'm thinking the dude from Seamount. Operatic pipes, but not so much that it's all puffy shirt bullshit. I dug it, even if on the whole they didn't deviate much from their song template.

Next was the mighty Mos Generator. Saw 'em last ten years ago at the Arizona SHoD. New rhythm section but they're already gelling. Bassist was a monster, and his playing was so fluid and so impressive, it didn't deter that positioned in front of his end of the stage, we couldn't hear as much from Mr. Tony Dallas Reed. They started off with a handful of "thank god they played that" songs - "Lumbo Rock," "Lonely One Kenobi," "On the Eve" - and filled out the rest of the set with some heavy hitters from their later work. No "Silver Olympus," which was a bit of a bummer, but what can you do?

Finally, Elder. Last I saw them was right before Dead Roots Stirring was released. They've always been at the front of the "If I wasn't so broke/tired/lazy, I'd go see these guys" list, but I've always been so broke/tired/lazy, so I'm glad I finally got to reacquaint myself with them. Lore was played in its entirety, with a closing song off of their Spires release (I think). The new album translated well live, with the band barely missing a step with the fluid riffs and time changes. Simply fantastic.

What was not fantastic was the hour drive home after the 45 minute drive back to JJ's pad. Rolled in at 3 am. My daughter's birthday party is this afternoon. I'm actively praying for my death.

Post subject: Re: Magic Circle/Mos Generator/Elder - AS220 3-6-2015
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:43 pm 

arz, how did you like that venue? Have driven and walked by it several times. Been curious.

Plus, you need/deserve to get out once in a while and see a show. The working/parenthood grind, albeit has to be taken care of the right way, requires a break in the action

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:11 pm 

Cool place. Artsy/bohemian vibe that could've gone pretentious but didn't. Almost like seeing a doom band in an art gallery.

And yeah, I do need to get out more. Boston's 15 minutes from my house, if that. But shit, more than half the time (meaning most of the time), I'm just as content to dissolve on the couch. Now if Boston took a page from Providence and had three band bills...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:02 am 

I'd drag Arz out of his house but I'm equally content to dissolve on the couch. And I'm single with no kids!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:17 am 

AS220 is one of my favorite venues in the Northeast. They do it right....

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]