Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
 Post subject: james gang/ live in concert
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:42 pm 

1971/ recorded live in nyc on the spring 71 tour and the last james gang release to feature head nut job joe walsh. got a couple of the hits like walk away and tend my garden but the highlight is the the 18 min track lost woman. got some great jammin on it and a final look at the classic james gang lineup. easy to pick up for a couple bucks even new. think i paid 6 buck for it new.

Post subject: Re: james gang/ live in concert
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:13 pm 

Like five songs on this one, right? I like it a lot. Dale Peters blasts hard, almost ala Mel Schacher from Live Album from GFR.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:09 pm 

On this one it became really evident that Joe Walsh had outgrown the band. Too bad he opted to tone it down for the remainder of his career instead of letting it rip.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:40 pm 

This album coulda been a whole lot better. Way too short of an album, and coulda used more better songs. Especially with Joe Walsh playing the way he was back then.

I was disappointed in this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:32 pm 

Man, I suppose that they've received their fair share of FM radio play over the years, but damn, those first James Gang albums are some of my very favorite albums from the early 70's. I don't think these guys get the recognition they deserve.

I've never heard this live album. Gonna have to track it down.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:01 am 

Would you consider James Gang an obscure band (I'm talking the Joe Walsh line-up)? Besides the many fine folks on here... do you think many people know he was in a band called The James Gang?

Do you really hear them alot on the radio?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:18 pm 

willb wrote:
Would you consider James Gang an obscure band (I'm talking the Joe Walsh line-up)? Besides the many fine folks on here... do you think many people know he was in a band called The James Gang?

I wouldn't, Funk #49 and Walk Away were both pretty big hits and got a decent amount of play on Classic Cock radio through the 90's. I agree with tastelikedirt that they don't get the props they deserve, they were completely awesome band and I still have huge regrets about not seeing the Joe Walsh-era reunion gigs 3 or 4 years ago($70 was too steep for me).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:44 pm 

L. Ron wrote:
willb wrote:

I wouldn't, Funk #49 and Walk Away were both pretty big hits and got a decent amount of play on Classic Cock radio through the 90's. I agree with tastelikedirt that they don't get the props they deserve, they were completely awesome band and I still have huge regrets about not seeing the Joe Walsh-era reunion gigs 3 or 4 years ago($70 was too steep for me).

Did funk#49 or walk away get anywhere near the top 20 when the albums were released?

As for the radio, I guess it depends on where you are. Here you do not get them(James Gang) played at all on our classic rock station (except Psychedelic Sundays).

Do you think people know that Joe Walsh is playing guitar on those songs?

I think they were a phenominal band, and deserve(d) more props aswell.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:54 pm 

I'd wager that the average classic rock radio fan who hears "Funk #49" or "Walk Away" thinks it's just Joe Walsh and makes no association with The James Gang. Bet ya.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:10 pm 

I mean over the years they got tossed in to the FM radio...like Nazareth or something (Now your messing with a son of a bitch) There's Funk #49 that a lot of people recognize, but don't really know the name of the band, or the name of that song for that matter. Like Nazareth.

I don't have any idea what's being played on Classic rock stations the last few years.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:32 pm 

GodShifter wrote:
I'd wager that the average classic rock radio fan who hears "Funk #49" or "Walk Away" thinks it's just Joe Walsh and makes no association with The James Gang. Bet ya.

Hmm. I don't know about this. It certainly would be interesting to see if anyone would recognize one or the other or both.

Thing is, at least here, most of what you hear from Joe Walsh is either the Eagles or his solo stuff.

Not much, if any at all, of James Gang, and certainly never Barnstorm (which I love aswell).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:20 pm 

Yeah, in general I doubt people associate The James Gang with Joe Walsh.

I think most people think "Life been good so far" song. Then maybe the Eagles.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:32 pm 

tastelikedirt wrote:
Yeah, in general I doubt people associate The James Gang with Joe Walsh.

I think most people think "Life been good so far" song. Then maybe the Eagles.

This ^^^. I'm just not so sure how they managed to stay "under the radar" so to speak, they had , at least to me, quite a few really damn good songs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:21 am 

I don't know- in 2006 they played 3,000 to 5,000 seat theaters all over the country- I went to the Beacon Theater show. Was one of the best shows I ever saw. Was also packed.. A lot of old guys remember them...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:04 am 

I assume they were a whole lot more well known in the US. As for the rest of the world, I'd say this was quite an obscured band.
On the other hand, my vinyl copies of Third and Live in Concert are both local (Israeli) pressings. Local pressings were almost never done unless a band was relatively big.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:28 pm 

dr. brown wrote:
I don't know- in 2006 they played 3,000 to 5,000 seat theaters all over the country- I went to the Beacon Theater show. Was one of the best shows I ever saw. Was also packed.. A lot of old guys remember them...

Yes but did they remember them, or was it a chance to see Joe Walsh?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:59 pm 

They sold tons of records; 3 of their albums are certified gold. I agree that they are sort of get lumped into Joe's solo work now, but they were never obscure or anything.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:42 pm 

Lurker Dave wrote:
They sold tons of records; 3 of their albums are certified gold. I agree that they are sort of get lumped into Joe's solo work now, but they were never obscure or anything.

How many records did the "Joe Walsh" version of James Gang sell?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:54 am 

At least 3 of their records sold over 500,000, all of them Joe Walsh albums. I bet the 16 greatest hits album was up there too.

Here's a link to the RIAA site:
http://tinyurl.com/25hfp6h

I don't know if they were ignored in the UK. Maybe it's like the Groundhogs; they charted 3 albums in the top ten in the UK but in the US they are very obscure.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:44 pm 

From my experience the Gang were pretty well-known and widely respected among original rock fans. It was mostly old guys when I saw them. I'm sure the blend of original fans, Walsh fans and Eagles fans is why they were able to play such big places. They were a tight grooving and rocking unit that also had great mellow tunes so the snobbier rock fans didn't hate them the way they hated GFR. They were also heavy enough for us metalheads... a shame they never put out a double live album

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]