Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: jeff beck/ blow by blow
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:48 am 

1975/ my first experience with what was callled jazz fusion. a huge departure from the blues based stuff he had made his living off for years. top notch playing all over this, even had stevie wonder on a couple of tracks. not boring or overindulgent like some fusion tends to be, a good crossover lp for rock fans. went gold the in 76 making it one of the best selling instrumental lps of its time. still holds up for me after hundered of listens and to many years to admit. edit/ produced by george martin

Post subject: Re: jeff beck/ blow by blow
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:01 pm 

Yeah this is a good one. I also like Wired. What I like best about Beck is his total departure from what all those other British invasion blues guitarists went on to become. ie. Mayall, Clapton, etc.

Maybe my favorite thing he does is his work in Roger Water's Amused to Death. You should check it out if you haven't.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:44 pm 

I like this one, too. Along with Wired and There and Back (and the live Jan Hammer thing), make a nice combination when the time is right.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:08 pm 

I'm w/ya. First one i ever heard was "wired" from a cool older kid who was a familiy friend. He was playing it as Christmas party the year itr came out. I'd never heard anything like that. NOW i realize that Beck was def. paying attention to Miles and Funkadelic. Then I got the live thing w/Jan Hammer. WHICK I think QFM (classic rock station in Col. Ahia), uses for their traffic report; "freeway jam".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:50 am 

"Blow By Blow" is a good record. "Since We've Ended As Lovers" is the real standout, though, and I wish that there was more of that sort of slow, restrained blues stuff on it. My favorite Jeff Beck stuff is "Truth" and "Beck-Ola".....Beck and Rod Stewart both at the top of their game.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]