Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:57 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Turbonegro 'Darkness Forever'
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:09 pm 

One of the best live albums ever, in the same league as Live & Dangerous, Strangers in the Night, Kick out the Jams, Live After Death, etc. Jerk that head and be my friend!

Post subject: Re: Turbonegro 'Darkness Forever'
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:21 pm 

Need to hear it as I have a Turbonegro tramp stamp :), of A. Dudes cover. The broad was watching Sons of Anarchy and they were playing a Turbonegro song during a "gonna be a murder" scene.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:36 pm 

Man I love Turbonegro. "Apocalypse Dudes" and the much maligned "Scandinavian Leather" are just two of the greatest rock n' roll albums ever made. I still thought that "Scandinavian Leather" never really got a fair shake.....people expected "Dudes Part 2", and they gave 'em a darker, more ambitious, harrowing and more sonically dense album. I've still got the leatherbound version of that one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:16 pm 

Ryan, I agree with you about Scandinavian Leather. That album never quite got the respect it deserved. I thought it was a very solid album.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:54 am 

Scotty Fuse wrote:
Ryan, I agree with you about Scandinavian Leather. That album never quite got the respect it deserved. I thought it was a very solid album.

Right on. It's one of the last really huge, ambitious rock records that I can think of....there's been ones since then, but in terms of what it does specifically, none have done it since then. They had a shitload of hype surrounding the reunion and then for some reason, they just never really connected with people outside of their diehard fanbase. I really like the sense of loss, regret, paranoia on "Scandinavian Leather".....it's up there in the pantheon of all time greats, if for nothing other than addressing the fallout of the rigors, stresses and expectations of being in a legendary band and then having to follow up an album that many thought wasn't possible to follow up. I forgot that Joe Barresi mixed that record, too it has that nice, big analog sound like "Stoner Witch" and the Kyuss stuff does.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:20 pm 

Ryan Electrocution wrote:
Man I love Turbonegro. "Apocalypse Dudes" and the much maligned "Scandinavian Leather" are just two of the greatest rock n' roll albums ever made. I still thought that "Scandinavian Leather" never really got a fair shake.....people expected "Dudes Part 2", and they gave 'em a darker, more ambitious, harrowing and more sonically dense album. I've still got the leatherbound version of that one.

seconded! How bout the EuroBoy studio soloing footage on that bonus dvd?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:04 pm 

NogginNodder wrote:
Ryan Electrocution wrote:

seconded! How bout the EuroBoy studio soloing footage on that bonus dvd?

Heh, I haven't watched that in 6 or 7 years, but from what I remember, he did some really great takes and didn't like them. It was the behind the scenes footage of that.....the string section in the studio, and things like Knut playing the melodica (the thing with the keys with the tube that he's blowing into) that were pretty cool. I think that alot of people wrote that record off without really giving it the third, fourth, fifth spin that would reveal new things that weren't heard on first listen.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:04 pm 

I'll always have a soft spot for Apocalypse Dudes, but Scandinavian Leather has always been my favorite. I've tried to like their later output, but aside from a standout song or two on each, most of those records feel like they're just treading water for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:26 am 

I agree that "Party Animals" and "Retox" had lost the epic, grand sweeping arrangements.....those were things that made the more rueful songs like "Humiliation Street" and "Fuck The World" so good.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]