Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Golden Earring
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:54 pm 

So I have a few tracks from the "Heavy 70's" Comps and Moontan but they have quite a discography. What's the best stuff? And I rarely see the older albums when sifting through vinyl, even if did know where to start.

It's pretty impressive that they've been all original members since 1961.

Post subject: Re: Golden Earring
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:05 pm 

Only Kooymans and Rinus Gerritsen have been in the band since 1961. Barry Hay,their vocalist joined in 68 and the drummer Cesar Zuiderwijk (sp?) I, believe, sometime after Hay (maybe early 70's?)

Everyone seems to like Eight Miles High and Grab It For a Second when Moontan is taken out of the discussion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:02 pm 

I'm into the whole 70s run...especially "Together", "Seven Tears" and the s/t ("Wall of Dolls"). "Moontan" is the best, but those three are in the same vein, and "Switch" is pretty good too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:52 pm 

Cool thanks for the info guys. I like what I've heard, especially those tracks on the comps, but like I said I have a hard time finding those old records. Not that I've tried extremely hard either.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:10 pm 

Another vote for "Switch"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:08 am 

extremely underrated band. i went through a phase earlier this year where i rediscovered the genius of golden earring. everyone knows their two hits -- "radar love" and "the twilight zone" -- but they had a run of lps as solid as anyone. their early stuff is freakbeat going into psych-pop, done very well. by 1970, they made a turn towards hard rock/prog. moontan is definitely their peak, but every record up to and including switch is worth getting. the 1977 live album also stands among the essential double-live album canon. their version of "eight miles high" is the only one that rivals the byrds. bottom line: you can't go wrong with any GE from 1965-1977, but stick with the 1970-1975 era for the essentials.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]