Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:04 pm 

Reading the article about Clive Burr in last month's issue of Classic Rock inspired me to pull this off the shelf. Hadn't listened to it start to finish in many years and had forgotten just how mint it is. The Di'Anno ones are still my favorite but this is just as good. I noticed that Bruce Dickinson has no songwriting credits at all on Number Of The Beast. Maybe this explains why I started losing interest when Piece Of Mind came out.

Post subject: Re: Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:02 pm 

I prefer Piece Of Mind to this album, actually, but those two are the most bearable of the post Di'Anno albums. Obvious, losing Paul and getting Bruce took them down a HUGE notch, but this album is pretty good, all things considered. It's not Killers, that's for damned sure, and it's a bit more polished in terms of both sound and execution, but it's solid from start to finish, and has some classic, standout tracks.

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:41 am 

I always thought this was an improvement over Killers but I was a huge Samson-fan and really liked Dickinsons voice.
As for the song-writing, I remember an interiew a few years later with Dickinson in which he said that he wasn't legally allowed to contribute at the time (management, publishing whatever). He left it open if he did without credit but it sounded like it. But then Harris was a rather dominant figure in those matters.

Edit: There you go (from Wikipedia):
"Dickinson at the time was still having legal difficulties with Samson's management, and was not permitted to add his name to any of the songwriting credits. However, he was still able to lend "creative influence" to many of the songs. In a Guitar Legends interview he claims he contributed to the overall themes of "Children of the Damned", "The Prisoner" and "Run to the Hills"."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:06 am 

Interesting, I didn't know that about Dickinson's legal situation when he joined the band. I always thought it was odd that he didn't have any credits on Number of the Beast.

I brought Piece of Mind with me to work today and will give it a spin. I haven't listened to the entire thing in a very long time. There's a cool photo in the CD booklet of a concert jersey they made for their sold out show at Madison Square Garden from Rocktober 1983. I was at that show and had that jersey. Wore it until it literally disintegrated.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:12 am 

Number of the Beast is easily my favorite Maiden record. Maybe because it's the first Maiden I heard or maybe just because it's a fantastic album, start to finish. Piece of Mind has some stellar moments, but it's also the first album with obvious filler ("Quest for Fire").

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:44 pm 

Just got done with Piece Of Mind. Good tape, but still prefer Number of the Beast.

Giving Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son a spin right now. Ooof, I don't think I'm gonna make it through all of this one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:50 pm 

Woody wrote:
Just got done with Piece Of Mind. Good tape, but still prefer Number of the Beast.

Giving Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son a spin right now. Ooof, I don't think I'm gonna make it through all of this one.

That one I couldn't stand when I first heard it, but it's aged relatively well. Either I've gotten more forgiving or I was wrong with my initial assessment.

Now Fear of the Dark or No Prayer for the Dying - those are endurance tests. I think the only people who've listened to those albums start to finish more than once are Steve Harris and the assistant to the ambassador to Brazil, who was kidnapped in the Spring of 2001 and left hog-tied in a basement with that album on repeat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:05 pm 

Almost two different bands from Killers to Number. Gone or at least rapidly declining was the punk influence that was present in the first two and more of a pure heavy metal approach with the fantasy elements (uh, power metal, mebbe?) come into play here.

Number is good but has a few bad clunkers on it specifically "Invaders" and "Gangland". Lots of people don't like "The Prisoner" either but I do. Anyway, with the two clunkers specifically you can hear the remnants of the first two albums inspiration (done poorly imo), but the rest is almost new landscape in terms of IM and where they would go.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:45 am 

Arzgarth wrote:
but it's also the first album with obvious filler ("Quest for Fire").

Disagree vehemently...

Harris' barred double-stops during the Smith/Murray solos is epic!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:48 pm 

To me you could take the best four songs off Beast and Piece and make one amazing record.
And one totally lame one...

I'd take-
Children, Beast, Hills and Hallowed (Invaders starts off cool, but that chorus is so lame...)
and
Eagles, Revelations, Icarus and Trooper.

Killers rules all...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]