Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:42 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: My new practice room is built and done
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:27 am 

It's been a long and arduous process, so allow me to basque in the light of accomplishment or some shit. It's a freaking bunker of solid white brick laid the thick way, a whole lot of pink wool and two layers of dry wall between that and the people inside, secured by a very heavy, solid wood door with dead rubber in it's middle and another, heavier, big-ass metal door filled with glass wool as well. It's out in the open on a backyard at a somewhat densely populated area and we rehearse after midnight above 130 Db so I wanted to make it absolutely impregnable, and it worked! We did an insanely loud test drive last night and just outside the door it sounded like a small transistor radio, so I guess the neighbors won't hear anything worth giving a shit about. This makes me very happy 'cause I can feed the insomniac in me large doses of tweaking loud bass configurations and effects and not bother or be bothered or think about anything outside the room anymore.

I didn't leave a single hole for air or ventilation to avoid sound leaking, so I guess I'll be keeping a large axe or sledgehammer inside in case the bolts give in and we're locked inside, plus I reckon rehearsal's gonna' get pretty freaking hot, and it's ended up being a bit smaller than I originally intended - what with all the extra inner walls, etc - which makes it much louder, it's gonna' make me deafer sooner, etc etc, BUT: It works and solves all or most of my practicing problems, so I have declared myself victorious on this one. I even put in a few funky lights in there for added mood and silliness. The reverberation and general sound of the room seem just right, so far, although I'm sure it's gonna' take a while until I get used to it and find all the little things and tricks. Anyway, I have high hopes for this one. Tomorrow night we'll try full band practice with beer, see how that turns out.

Post subject: Re: My new practice room is built and done
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:24 am 

beer and mood lighting! thats all you really need ;)

sounds awesome, the best bit is keeping a sledge hammer handy incase you get trapped inside, METAALL!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:00 am 

you know it!

some of my acquaintances preferred "stupid" but I'm gonna' stick with METAL \m/ for further explanation from now on

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:20 pm 

pics or it never got built..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:04 pm 

yeah, put that shit on the glass.

also just get a few box fans, moving air always feels better then non-moving air even if its hot as shit, and you can get fresh air in there quickly when y'all take a break. probably the cheapest and easiest option.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:25 pm 

You built a bomb shelter...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:14 pm 

It truly is man, I just need a small fridge, a box of canned food and an oxigen tank and it will double as a zombie room too

fans are a necessity indeed, although there really isn't much room left... I'd stick 'em in the walls but I don't wanna' disturb the drywall. I'll shop for something slim.

Pics will be coming

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]